Old 02-06-2009, 10:27 AM
Magnus Therning

Default aptitude: searching for a short package name that is a common substring

On Fri, Feb 6, 2009 at 10:39 AM, Arthur Marsh
<arthur.marsh@internode.on.net> wrote:
> Hi, I was wanting to install midnight commander and realised that the search
> function in aptitude wasn't helping me much as the string "mc" appears in
> lots of package names. (I used apt-get to install mc).
>
> How does one get some text in the search box in aptitude to match the start
> of line or end of line of the package name, or alternatively, search by
> description?

The search in aptitude is a regular expression with some extensions,
use ^ to match beginning and $ to match end.

/M

--
Magnus Therning (OpenPGP: 0xAB4DFBA4)
magnus´╝*therning´╝Äorg Jabber: magnus´╝*therning´╝Äorg