Old 02-06-2009, 09:39 AM
Arthur Marsh

Default aptitude: searching for a short package name that is a common substring

Hi, I was wanting to install midnight commander and realised that the
search function in aptitude wasn't helping me much as the string "mc"
appears in lots of package names. (I used apt-get to install mc).

How does one get some text in the search box in aptitude to match the
start of line or end of line of the package name, or alternatively,
search by description?

Arthur.

Old 02-06-2009, 10:33 AM
Sven Joachim

On 2009-02-06 11:39 +0100, Arthur Marsh wrote:

> Hi, I was wanting to install midnight commander and realised that the
> search function in aptitude wasn't helping me much as the string "mc"
> appears in lots of package names. (I used apt-get to install mc).

You're probably aware that you can use "aptitude install mc", aren't
you?

> How does one get some text in the search box in aptitude to match the
> start of line or end of line of the package name, or alternatively,
> search by description?

The standard chars ^ and $ match the beginning and end of the line,
respectively.

Sven

Old 02-06-2009, 10:49 AM
Arthur Marsh

On Fri, Feb 6, 2009 at 10:39 AM, Arthur Marsh
Hi, I was wanting to install midnight commander and realised that the search
function in aptitude wasn't helping me much as the string "mc" appears in
lots of package names. (I used apt-get to install mc).

How does one get some text in the search box in aptitude to match the start
of line or end of line of the package name, or alternatively, search by
description?

The search in aptitude is a regular expression with some extensions,
use ^ to match beginning and $ to match end.

/M

Thanks, my regular expression knowledge would fit on a postage stamp.

Arthur.

Old 02-06-2009, 02:05 PM
"Douglas A. Tutty"

On Fri, Feb 06, 2009 at 09:09:29PM +1030, Arthur Marsh wrote:
> Hi, I was wanting to install midnight commander and realised that the
> search function in aptitude wasn't helping me much as the string "mc"
> appears in lots of package names. (I used apt-get to install mc).
>
> How does one get some text in the search box in aptitude to match the
> start of line or end of line of the package name, or alternatively,
> search by description?

I run into this every time I install on a new box. I do a multi-term
search:

mc ~dcommander

Since only mc has both a package name containing 'mc' and the word
'commander' in the description.

doug