-   -   Install Debian GNU/Linux (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-user/241146-install-debian-gnu-linux.html)

Cahaya Lilin 02-06-2009 06:29 AM

Install Debian GNU/Linux

Hello all..
*
I want to* know is there Debian linux can install by copy the entire files in the hard disk to another hard disk ??
*
Because i already install linux in my computer and now i want to install linux in another computer but not install it from the cd, it would be good if Debian GNU/linux can install in another computer just by copy all of the files..

*
and is there setting i have to do ??
*
Thanx..
*
*

Mitja Podreka 02-06-2009 07:12 AM

Install Debian GNU/Linux

Cahaya Lilin wrote:

Hello all..

I want to know is there Debian linux can install by copy the entire
files in the hard disk to another hard disk ??

Because i already install linux in my computer and now i want to
install linux in another computer but not install it from the cd, it
would be good if Debian GNU/linux can install in another computer just
by copy all of the files..

and is there setting i have to do ??

Thanx..
I've done this recently. Boot into original computer with a live CD and
copy all the files to an external disk. Then boot with live CD into new
computer and copy the files from external disk.

Regards,
Mitja

Kevin Philp 02-06-2009 08:13 AM

Install Debian GNU/Linux

I would say "be very careful". It will work if the following are true:

1. All the drivers loaded on computer A are the same as required for
computer B - do they have the same CPU/motherboard chipset/graphics card

2. Your partitions are the same and match up in FSTAB - be particularly
careful if your FSTAB uses UUID notation.

3. You will need to reinstall grub into the MBR anyway.

I would be pleased to hear others peoples comments because this would
make my backup procedure easier - but unless the computers are the
same/very similar I am not confident its a sensible approach.

Kevin.

Mitja Podreka 02-06-2009 10:35 AM

Install Debian GNU/Linux

Kevin Philp wrote:

I would say "be very careful". It will work if the following are true:

1. All the drivers loaded on computer A are the same as required for
computer B - do they have the same CPU/motherboard chipset/graphics card

2. Your partitions are the same and match up in FSTAB - be
particularly careful if your FSTAB uses UUID notation.

3. You will need to reinstall grub into the MBR anyway.

I would be pleased to hear others peoples comments because this would
make my backup procedure easier - but unless the computers are the
same/very similar I am not confident its a sensible approach.

Kevin.

Recently I've upgraded my workstation. I changed motherboard and went
from AMD to Intel. Hard drive stayed the same and Debian booted without
problem. But since I had problems with this installation before I wanted
to reinstall and lazy as I am, I just copied the Debian installation
from my home computer with different motherboard, same CPU and different
graphics card (nVidia -> ATi) and completely different partition
structure. I copied the files (using cp not dd) to a second
(new/additional) hard drive and this caused me some problems with Grub
trying to boot from the old hard drive. After some mild tweaking (Grub
and X) I ended up with fully configured working Debian installation.

Some time ago I made something similar on my laptop. I copied files to
external disk, deleted an rearranged partitions and copied the files
back. Setup Grub and boot without problem.

Regards,
Mitja

Umarzuki Mochlis 02-06-2009 10:37 AM

Install Debian GNU/Linux

I want to* know is there Debian linux can install by copy the entire files in the hard disk to another hard disk ??
*
Because i already install linux in my computer and now i want to install linux in another computer but not install it from the cd, it would be good if Debian GNU/linux can install in another computer just by copy all of the files..

*
and is there setting i have to do ??
*
Thanx..You could try cloning the whole hard disk with a live cd that have partimage or simply use clonezilla. It's not as simple as copy pasting but you'll get the exact copy of your original machine.

*
*

Umarzuki Mochlis
http://gameornot.net

Cahaya Lilin 02-06-2009 12:48 PM

Install Debian GNU/Linux

mmm ...

I will try it out, i hope no problems occur..

Thanx

Johannes Wiedersich 02-06-2009 12:58 PM

Install Debian GNU/Linux

Stefan Monnier 02-06-2009 03:23 PM

Install Debian GNU/Linux

> I want to know is there Debian linux can install by copy the entire files
> in the hard disk to another hard disk ??

Yes, you can.

> Because i already install linux in my computer and now i want to install
> linux in another computer but not install it from the cd, it would be good
> if Debian GNU/linux can install in another computer just by copy all of the
> files..

> and is there setting i have to do ??

As mentioned, you'll have to setup the boot-loader manually on the
new drive. Also you may have to adjust the config, e.g. /etc/fstab,
/etc/hostname, /etc/X11/xorg.conf, etc...

This method is the one I use whenever I can to install Debian, so it
works well. Other than the boot-loader settings, I have always adjusted
the rest of the config after rebooting into the "new" system: usually
just copying plus setting up the boot-loader is enough to get
a functional system.

But you had better be confortable with the command line, and editing
config files "by hand", of course.

Stefan

Javier 02-06-2009 04:49 PM

Install Debian GNU/Linux

Cahaya Lilin escribió:

mmm ...

I will try it out, i hope no problems occur..

Thanx

Ey don't forget to preserve permissions. If you use "cp", it is the -p
option.
If you don't do it, some services are surely going to fail, as well as
other programs not functioning as expected.

Take care.

Emanoil Kotsev 02-10-2009 12:32 AM

Install Debian GNU/Linux

Cahaya Lilin wrote:

> Hello all..
>
> I want to know is there Debian linux can install by copy the entire files
> in the hard disk to another hard disk ??
>
> Because i already install linux in my computer and now i want to install
> linux in another computer but not install it from the cd, it would be good
> if Debian GNU/linux can install in another computer just by copy all of
> the files..
>
> and is there setting i have to do ??
>
> Thanx..

So to sum up (HOW TO CLONE A SYSTEM with two or one cup(s) of coffee)

SOURCE PC:
1) it works if the source system is prepared so. Which means at least to
install kernel for the target system (if not in the same family Motorolla
i*86x32/64 etc), so that you can boot on your new machine.

2) then what I prefer to do is to mount the partitions somewhere so I can
access only the data I need

cd /tmp; mkdir backup
mount /dev/XXX[1-9] backup
mount /dev/XXX[1-9] backup/boot
mount /dev/XXX[1-9] backup/home
(repeat for other partitions as in fstab, if you want to backup them)

3) plugin external disk (usb or so) and mount_it_somewhere

4) backup all (preserves permitions and so on)
tar cjvf mount_it_somewhere/system.tar.bz2 backup
(have a cup of coffee)
5) unmount mount_it_somewhere and all mounted on backup

TARGET PC:
1) boot with live cd/ usb disk or what ever linux capable
2) cd /tmp; mkdir -p backup/{boot,home} (the same structure like in 2 above)

3) plugin external disk (usb or so) and mount_it_somewhere

4) extract all
tar xjvf mount_it_somewhere/system.tar.bz2

5) customize
- ssh,ssl and other keys
- root, user passes
- x driver, other drivers
( there are/were few problems with ATI - NVidia proprietary GL and vice
versa migration, because both of them installed different GL libraries, but
they might have fixed it in recent versions)

6) run grub install to make the system bootable

7) recreate initrd if necessary

8) unmount mount_it_somewhere and all mounted on backup

9) reboot