Old 02-10-2009, 06:09 PM
Shams Fantar

Default Install Debian GNU/Linux

Cahaya Lilin wrote:
> Hello all..
>
> I want to know is there Debian linux can install by copy the entire
> files in the hard disk to another hard disk ??
>
> Because i already install linux in my computer and now i want to
> install linux in another computer but not install it from the cd, it
> would be good if Debian GNU/linux can install in another computer just
> by copy all of the files..
>
> and is there setting i have to do ??
>
> Thanx..

You can do that. There are many solutions, I suggest you to use sfdisk
and cp, we admit, you have two disks, on a same computer, the first disk
with data and the second disk with nothing, see my example to copy
partitions and to copy data :

(do everything as root)

1 - We copy partitions :

sfdisk -d /dev/hda | sfdisk /dev/hdc

2 - We copy all data for / :

mount -t auto /dev/hdc1 /mnt/
cp -dpRx / /mnt/
mount -t auto /dev/hdc2 /mnt/home
cp -dpRx /home /mnt/
and other partitions...

The advantage is that you don't need to boot with a live CD but the
second disk has to be on the same computer.

http://snurf.info - http://about-gnulinux.info
Honesty is the best policy

Old 02-16-2009, 01:46 PM
Michael Pobega

On Fri, Feb 06, 2009 at 02:29:06PM +0700, Cahaya Lilin wrote:
> Hello all..
>
> I want to know is there Debian linux can install by copy the entire files
> in the hard disk to another hard disk ??
>
> Because i already install linux in my computer and now i want to install
> linux in another computer but not install it from the cd, it would be good
> if Debian GNU/linux can install in another computer just by copy all of the
> files..
>
> and is there setting i have to do ??
>
> Thanx..

Look into debootstrap; it will install Debian into a separate partition,
and you can copy your /home folder over (so you will have the same
configuration). Of course, you'll need to reinstall all of the packages
you've installed in your original Debian system, but I'm sure you
expected that :]

(Note: This isn't a method to clone a Debian system, this is a way to
install a separate instance of Debian)

--
http://pobega.wordpress.com
http://identica/pobega