Old 02-06-2009, 03:35 AM
Foss User

Default How to change LANG = en_US ?

I want that when Debian boots and I log into gnome and open
gnome-terminal, echo $LANG shows en_US instead of en_IN.

I found that in /etc/environment, the content was:

LANG="en_IN"

So, I changed it to LANG="en_US" and rebooted the system. But after
rebooting and opening gnome-terminal, I find echo $LANG to output
en_IN again.

So, where should I make this change so that after rebooting echo $LANG
outputs en_US ?

Old 02-06-2009, 03:47 AM
Onur Aslan

You should change language in login screen for gnome. Otherwise, you can
change your language with export command in terminal. i.e. export
LANG='en_US' But this doesn't affect the gnome. It's only work for
current terminal.

Old 02-06-2009, 03:50 AM
Foss User

If export is the only way to do it, I can of course put the export
LANG=en_US statement in /etc/profile.

However, I am thinking then what is the use of /etc/environment? What
purpose does /etc/environment serve if changing LANG="en_IN" to
LANG="en_US" in /etc/environment doesn't affect the LANG shell
variable of my terminals?

Old 02-06-2009, 08:15 AM
Florian Kulzer

On Fri, Feb 06, 2009 at 04:35:56 +0000, Foss User wrote:
> I want that when Debian boots and I log into gnome and open
> gnome-terminal, echo $LANG shows en_US instead of en_IN.
>
> I found that in /etc/environment, the content was:
>
> LANG="en_IN"
>
> So, I changed it to LANG="en_US" and rebooted the system. But after
> rebooting and opening gnome-terminal, I find echo $LANG to output
> en_IN again.
>
> So, where should I make this change so that after rebooting echo $LANG
> outputs en_US ?

I think /etc/environment is depreciated; try changing the setting in
/etc/default/locale instead. (That should work to set $LANG for your
system at boot; I have no idea if Gnome has a mechanism to override that
once it starts.)

Florian |

Old 02-06-2009, 11:27 AM
Nate Bargmann

* Foss User <fossist@gmail.com> [2009 Feb 05 22:37 -0600]:
> I want that when Debian boots and I log into gnome and open
> gnome-terminal, echo $LANG shows en_US instead of en_IN.
>
> I found that in /etc/environment, the content was:
>
> LANG="en_IN"
>
> So, I changed it to LANG="en_US" and rebooted the system. But after
> rebooting and opening gnome-terminal, I find echo $LANG to output
> en_IN again.
>
> So, where should I make this change so that after rebooting echo $LANG
> outputs en_US ?

If you want it to be changed system wide, for all users, doing
`dpkg-reconfigure -p low locales' will give you a series of debconf
screens where you can select the locales to be installed and then the
default locale, which in my case is en_US.UTF-8.

Here is more background information:

http://people.debian.org/~osamu/pub/getwiki/html/ch09.en.html#thelocale

- Nate >>

Old 02-06-2009, 11:36 AM
Antonio Macchi

Foss User wrote:

I want that when Debian boots and I log into gnome and open
gnome-terminal, echo $LANG shows en_US instead of en_IN.

I found that in /etc/environment, the content was:

LANG="en_IN"

So, I changed it to LANG="en_US" and rebooted the system. But after
rebooting and opening gnome-terminal, I find echo $LANG to output
en_IN again.

So, where should I make this change so that after rebooting echo $LANG
outputs en_US ?

maybe this can work for you...

# dpkg-reconfigure locales

Old 02-06-2009, 11:42 PM
Thilo Six

Florian Kulzer wrote the following on 06.02.2009 10:15

<- *snip* ->

> I have no idea if Gnome has a mechanism to override that
> once it starts.

That's posible with:

,----[ $ grep LANG ~/.gnomerc ]--------

export LANG="en_US.UTF-8"