FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Debian > Debian User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 02-05-2009, 07:12 PM
Frank McCormick
 
Default Term not set

Lately when the terminal is running in update-manager installing
packages, it says "Term not set" so Dialog won't work. It falls back to
readline.
How can I fix this?


Thanks
 
Old 02-06-2009, 03:06 AM
Frank McCormick
 
Default Term not set

Frank McCormick wrote:
> Lately when the terminal is running in update-manager installing
> packages, it says "Term not set" so Dialog won't work. It falls back to
> readline.
> How can I fix this?


Nobody ??
 
Old 02-06-2009, 03:42 AM
L Glidewell
 
Default Term not set

On Thursday 05 February 2009 20:06:54 Frank McCormick wrote:
> Frank McCormick wrote:
> > Lately when the terminal is running in update-manager installing
> > packages, it says "Term not set" so Dialog won't work. It falls back to
> > readline.
> > How can I fix this?
>
> Nobody ??
Well, the question isn't completely clear. How do you run this application,
and in what context do you receive this error message? How does the terminal
run "in" update-manager? Wouldn't it be the other way around? What dialogue
isn't working? What do you mean by readline?

Lee


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 02-06-2009, 01:11 PM
Frank McCormick
 
Default Term not set

L Glidewell wrote:
> On Thursday 05 February 2009 20:06:54 Frank McCormick wrote:
>> Frank McCormick wrote:
>>> Lately when the terminal is running in update-manager installing
>>> packages, it says "Term not set" so Dialog won't work. It falls back to
>>> readline.
>>> How can I fix this?
>> Nobody ??
> Well, the question isn't completely clear. How do you run this application,
> and in what context do you receive this error message?

Simple. Click on update-manager...if there are no updates to be
installed...click on "check". If there are updates, click on "Install".
When the installation begins I presume update-manager runs a terminal,
because that is where I see the message "Term not set"


How does the terminal
> run "in" update-manager? Wouldn't it be the other way around?

Update-manager is a GTK program...so it'll run from the desktop.

What dialogue
> isn't working? What do you mean by readline?

Readline I gather is the default the system uses when Dialog isn't
available.
 
Old 02-06-2009, 10:50 PM
Angus Auld
 
Default Term not set

--- On Fri, 2/6/09, Frank McCormick <Debianlist@videotron.ca> wrote:

> From: Frank McCormick <Debianlist@videotron.ca>
> Subject: Re: Term not set
> To: l.glidewell.lists@gmail.com
> Cc: debian-user@lists.debian.org
> Date: Friday, February 6, 2009, 2:11 PM
> L Glidewell wrote:
> > On Thursday 05 February 2009 20:06:54 Frank McCormick
> wrote:
> >> Frank McCormick wrote:
> >>> Lately when the terminal is running in
> update-manager installing
> >>> packages, it says "Term not set" so
> Dialog won't work. It falls back to
> >>> readline.
> >>> How can I fix this?
> >> Nobody ??
> > Well, the question isn't completely clear. How do
> you run this application,
> > and in what context do you receive this error message?
>
>
> Simple. Click on update-manager...if there are no updates
> to be
> installed...click on "check". If there are
> updates, click on "Install".
> When the installation begins I presume update-manager runs
> a terminal,
> because that is where I see the message "Term not
> set"
>
>
> How does the terminal
> > run "in" update-manager? Wouldn't it be
> the other way around?
>
> Update-manager is a GTK program...so it'll run from the
> desktop.
>
> What dialogue
> > isn't working? What do you mean by readline?
>
> Readline I gather is the default the system uses when
> Dialog isn't
> available.

This has to do with debconf, I sorted this issue by running "configure-debian", then choosing subsection "admin", then choose program "debconf", then choose the interface and priority level you want to use. I use KDE, so naturally I choose the KDE interface.

HTH's.

Best regards.

--
Angus

"All churches, whether Jewish, Christian, or Muslim, appear
to me no other than human inventions, setup to terrify and
enslave mankind - and to monopolize power and profit."
--
Thomas Paine (1737-1809)

###Laptop powered by Debian Linux###
######Reg. Linux User #278931######






--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 02-07-2009, 12:13 PM
Frank McCormick
 
Default Term not set

Angus Auld wrote:
>
> --- On Fri, 2/6/09, Frank McCormick <Debianlist@videotron.ca> wrote:
>
>> From: Frank McCormick <Debianlist@videotron.ca>
>> Subject: Re: Term not set
>> To: l.glidewell.lists@gmail.com
>> Cc: debian-user@lists.debian.org
>> Date: Friday, February 6, 2009, 2:11 PM
>> L Glidewell wrote:
>>> On Thursday 05 February 2009 20:06:54 Frank McCormick
>> wrote:
>>>> Frank McCormick wrote:
>>>>> Lately when the terminal is running in
>> update-manager installing
>>>>> packages, it says "Term not set" so
>> Dialog won't work. It falls back to
>>>>> readline.
>>>>> How can I fix this?
>>>> Nobody ??
>>> Well, the question isn't completely clear. How do
>> you run this application,
>>> and in what context do you receive this error message?
>>
>> Simple. Click on update-manager...if there are no updates
>> to be
>> installed...click on "check". If there are
>> updates, click on "Install".
>> When the installation begins I presume update-manager runs
>> a terminal,
>> because that is where I see the message "Term not
>> set"
>>
>>
>> How does the terminal
>>> run "in" update-manager? Wouldn't it be
>> the other way around?
>>
>> Update-manager is a GTK program...so it'll run from the
>> desktop.
>>
>> What dialogue
>>> isn't working? What do you mean by readline?
>> Readline I gather is the default the system uses when
>> Dialog isn't
>> available.
>
> This has to do with debconf, I sorted this issue by running "configure-debian", then choosing subsection "admin", then choose program "debconf", then choose the interface and priority level you want to use. I use KDE, so naturally I choose the KDE interface.


This is great. Thanks. Never even knew configure-debian existed...but
it fixed my problem.

Cheers
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 05:52 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org