Old 02-05-2009, 02:19 PM
Marc Shapiro

Default Sane uninstallable (MOSTLY Solved)

Daniel Dalton wrote:

uh, probably a dumb question, but did u try aptitude install -f

Yes.

Apparently the partially installed sane packages were what was
preventing iscan from being purged. Once I uninstalled sane I was able
to purge iscan. Then I could reinstall sane without errors.

Now I can access the scanner through Gimp menus. Works fine.

But... udev seems to not set up a device file, or something. To access
the scanner with xscanimage from the command line I need to enter the
command like this:

xscanimage epkowa:libusb:004:003

I expect that the usb device numbers and such could change if a device
is unplugged, or the system rebooted. There IS a line for the scanner,
with vendor and ID number, in:

/etc/udev/rules.d/z60_libsane-extras.rules
and in
/etc/udev/rules.d/z60_libsane.rules

The scanner is at least usable now, but it is awkward to use from the
command line. Any ideas what I have misconfigured?

--
Marc Shapiro
mshapiro_42@yahoo.com