Old 02-05-2009, 01:54 PM
Ron Johnson

Default OT: Bush quotes

On 02/05/2009 08:44 AM, consultores1 wrote:
[snip]

Are you refering to Unitedstatesdians? because i am from El Salvador and
without any dude i am American.

The oldest nation[0] in the region gets to pick it's name and
abbreviation. That would be "us".

[0] Yes, yes, the Iroquois Nations were there before the Europeans,
blah blah. If they had been numerous enough, and technologically
advanced enough, they'd have driven the Europeans back into the sea.
But they weren't, so they didn't, thus what happened to them is
what happens to all such societies: they got conquered. If some
foreign power ever comes to our shores, and is more numerous, and
more technologically advanced, they'll conquer us. Thus is the
natural order of man.

--
Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson LA USA

Supporting World Peace Through Nuclear Pacification

Old 02-05-2009, 02:23 PM
consultores1

El jue, 05-02-2009 a las 08:54 -0600, Ron Johnson escribió:
> On 02/05/2009 08:44 AM, consultores1 wrote:
> [snip]
> >
> > Are you refering to Unitedstatesdians? because i am from El Salvador and
> > without any dude i am American.
>
> The oldest nation[0] in the region gets to pick it's name and
> abbreviation. That would be "us".
>
> [0] Yes, yes, the Iroquois Nations were there before the Europeans,
> blah blah. If they had been numerous enough, and technologically
> advanced enough, they'd have driven the Europeans back into the sea.
> But they weren't, so they didn't, thus what happened to them is
> what happens to all such societies: they got conquered. If some
> foreign power ever comes to our shores, and is more numerous, and
> more technologically advanced, they'll conquer us. Thus is the
> natural order of man.
>
> --
> Ron Johnson, Jr.
> Jefferson LA USA

Probably the troglodite men and animals! living out the Homos sapiens!

Old 02-05-2009, 02:34 PM
Ignacio Mondino

Ron Johnson wrote:
> On 02/05/2009 08:44 AM, consultores1 wrote:
> [snip]
>>
>> Are you refering to Unitedstatesdians? because i am from El Salvador and
>> without any dude i am American.
>
> The oldest nation[0] in the region gets to pick it's name and
> abbreviation. That would be "us".

Sorry, "we" prefer not to be represented by "you", thank you very much.

> Thus is the natural order of man.

That is Gengis Kahn style of management.

Bye, be happy

Old 02-05-2009, 02:47 PM
John Hasler

Ron Johnson writes:
> The oldest nation[0] in the region gets to pick it's name and
> abbreviation. That would be "us".

But we didn't. It was the Europeans who attached the label "american" to
first residents of the colonies and then to citizens of the United States
of America. 18th century "Americans" identified more closely with their
states than with the nation. A resident of Virginia would have said "I'm
a Virginian", not "I'm an American".
--
John Hasler

Old 02-05-2009, 03:02 PM
Johannes Wiedersich

Ron Johnson wrote:
> On 02/05/2009 08:44 AM, consultores1 wrote:
> [snip]
>>
>> Are you refering to Unitedstatesdians? because i am from El Salvador and
>> without any dude i am American.
>
> The oldest nation[0] in the region gets to pick it's name and
> abbreviation. That would be "us".

Nonsense. Names are not picked, names are given. The first person to
discover a new species, area, star, whatever has the right to name it.
(The reason we don't use the ancient name for the continent is that is
not in one of the European languages that are dominating the continent
now, in particular it is not an English name. )

There may be different names for countries: Germany is called
'Deutschland' in German, 'Germany' in English, 'Allemagne' in French,
'Tyskland' in Danish, 'Germania' in Italian (although the inhabitants
are called 'tedeschi'), 'Niemcy' in Polish, Německo in Czech, just to
pick a few from the countries around us.

Just imagine if there was a referendum and the German people decided,
that in order to stop this confusion, their state should internationally
be known as 'United states of Europe'. Very fortunately, no one in
Germany would be so arrogant as to suggest such a thing.

I don't know, why the US's founding fathers did not pick a more
appropriate name.

Cheers,

Johannes

Old 02-05-2009, 03:15 PM
Eduardo M KALINOWSKI

consultores1 wrote:
>> Strange... I thought you Americans value freedom of speech so much.
>> (Can't remember the number of the amendment, though.)
>>

> Are you refering to Unitedstatesdians?

Yes, I am. Context should make that clear.

> because i am from El Salvador and
> without any dude i am American.

And I'm Brazilian. Also american, but generally the word 'american' can
also mean specifically someone from the USA. At least that's what's the
dictionaries here say. Technically, it's not a good name, but it's the
way things are, and I don't think it really causes ambiguity.

--
How many Bavarian Illuminati does it take to screw in a lightbulb?

Three: one to screw it in, and one to confuse the issue.

Eduardo M KALINOWSKI
eduardo@kalinowski.com.br
http://move.to/hpkb

Old 02-05-2009, 03:16 PM
Hal Vaughan

On Thursday 05 February 2009, Ignacio Mondino wrote:
> Ron Johnson wrote:
> > On 02/05/2009 08:44 AM, consultores1 wrote:
> > [snip]
> >
> >> Are you refering to Unitedstatesdians? because i am from El
> >> Salvador and without any dude i am American.
> >
> > The oldest nation[0] in the region gets to pick it's name and
> > abbreviation. That would be "us".
>
> Sorry, "we" prefer not to be represented by "you", thank you very
> much.
>
> > Thus is the natural order of man.
>
> That is Gengis Kahn style of management.

I've got the same response to both comments:

You have to understand Ron. He's just being imperialistic.

As always.

Hal

Old 02-05-2009, 03:30 PM
charlie derr

Hal Vaughan wrote:

Are you refering to Unitedstatesdians? because i am from El
Salvador and without any dude i am American.

The oldest nation[0] in the region gets to pick it's name and
abbreviation. That would be "us".

Sorry, "we" prefer not to be represented by "you", thank you very
much.

Thus is the natural order of man.

That is Gengis Kahn style of management.

I've got the same response to both comments:

You have to understand Ron. He's just being imperialistic.

As always.

Hal

I completely agree. As someone who lives here (and is a citizen), I hold a very different opinion (than Ron) about who gets to
name what. If other (non-USian) residents of the greater "Americas" take offense at us referring to ourselves as Americans, I'm
happy to attempt to get this right (and even support the effort to attempt to educate my fellow USians).

~c

Old 02-05-2009, 03:31 PM
John Hasler

Johannes Wiedersich writes:
> Just imagine if there was a referendum and the German people decided,
> that in order to stop this confusion, their state should internationally
> be known as 'United states of Europe'. Very fortunately, no one in
> Germany would be so arrogant as to suggest such a thing.

And they wouldn't join something calling itself the "European Union",
either.

> I don't know, why the US's founding fathers did not pick a more
> appropriate name.

You are free to use whatever name you see fit.
--
John Hasler

Old 02-05-2009, 03:59 PM
Sam Kuper

2009/2/5 charlie derr <cderr@simons-rock.edu>

> I completely agree. As someone who lives here (and is a citizen), I hold a very different opinion (than Ron) about who gets to name what. If other (non-USian) residents of the greater "Americas" take offense at us referring to ourselves as Americans, I'm happy to attempt to get this right (and even support the effort to attempt to educate my fellow USians).

+1 I should have noted in my earlier email that by "American" I meant
"US American", which only denotes membership of a subset "US American"
of the set "American".