Old 02-05-2009, 04:00 AM
Rob Singelais

Default Problem getting Win to see Samba shared printer

Hello,

I have installed hplip 2.8.7 using the automatic installer from
sourceforge and the printer works fine on Debian Lenny. I installed
samba and am trying to share it to a Windows XP machine. After I run the
add printer wizard in XP I see the workgroup (set the same on both
machines) that I set up on Debian but underneath where it is suppose to
show the printer doesn't show up. Am I missing something here?

Here's a screenshot of what it looks like on XP.
http://img207.imageshack.us/my.php?image=screen1kd1.jpg

/etc/cups/cupsd.conf

LogLevel warning
SystemGroup lpadmin
# Allow remote access
Port 631
Listen /var/run/cups/cups.sock
# Enable printer sharing and shared printers.
Browsing On
BrowseOrder allow,deny
BrowseAllow all
BrowseAddress @LOCAL
DefaultAuthType Basic
<Location />
# Allow shared printing...
Order allow,deny
Allow @LOCAL
</Location>
<Location /admin>
# Restrict access to the admin pages...
Order allow,deny
</Location>
<Location /admin/conf>
AuthType Default
Require user @SYSTEM
# Restrict access to the configuration files...
Order allow,deny
</Location>
<Policy default>
<Limit Send-Document Send-URI Hold-Job Release-Job Restart-Job
Purge-Jobs Set-Job-Attributes Create-Job-Subscription Renew-Subscription
Cancel-Subscription Get-Notifications Reprocess-Job Cancel-Current-Job
Suspend-Current-Job Resume-Job CUPS-Move-Job>

Require user @OWNER @SYSTEM
Order deny,allow
</Limit>
<Limit CUPS-Add-Modify-Printer CUPS-Delete-Printer
CUPS-Add-Modify-Class CUPS-Delete-Class CUPS-Set-Default>

AuthType Default
Require user @SYSTEM
Order deny,allow
</Limit>
<Limit Pause-Printer Resume-Printer Enable-Printer Disable-Printer
Pause-Printer-After-Current-Job Hold-New-Jobs Release-Held-New-Jobs
Deactivate-Printer Activate-Printer Restart-Printer Shutdown-Printer
Startup-Printer Promote-Job Schedule-Job-After CUPS-Accept-Jobs
CUPS-Reject-Jobs>

AuthType Default
Require user @SYSTEM
Order deny,allow
</Limit>
<Limit Cancel-Job CUPS-Authenticate-Job>
Require user @OWNER @SYSTEM
Order deny,allow
</Limit>
<Limit All>
Order deny,allow
</Limit>
</Policy>

/etc/samba/smb.conf

[global]
workgroup = WORKGROUP
netbios name = linux
security = share

#this section is only to share the printer
printcap name = cups
disable spoolss = Yes
show add printer wizard = No
printing = cups
load printers = yes
hosts allow = 192.168.1.102

[printers]
comment = Printer in Linux
path = /var/spool/samba
guest ok = Yes
printable = Yes
use client driver = Yes
browseable = Yes

Thanks

Old 02-05-2009, 12:42 PM
Hugo Vanwoerkom

Rob Singelais wrote:

Hello,

I have installed hplip 2.8.7 using the automatic installer from
sourceforge and the printer works fine on Debian Lenny. I installed
samba and am trying to share it to a Windows XP machine. After I run the
add printer wizard in XP I see the workgroup (set the same on both
machines) that I set up on Debian but underneath where it is suppose to
show the printer doesn't show up. Am I missing something here?

Here's a screenshot of what it looks like on XP.
http://img207.imageshack.us/my.php?image=screen1kd1.jpg

<snip>

I have the same problem. Hope someone has a solution.

Hugo

Old 02-05-2009, 01:31 PM
mitch

On Thu, 2009-02-05 at 07:42 -0600, Hugo Vanwoerkom wrote:
> Rob Singelais wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I have installed hplip 2.8.7 using the automatic installer from
> > sourceforge and the printer works fine on Debian Lenny. I installed
> > samba and am trying to share it to a Windows XP machine. After I run the
> > add printer wizard in XP I see the workgroup (set the same on both
> > machines) that I set up on Debian but underneath where it is suppose to
> > show the printer doesn't show up. Am I missing something here?
> >
> > Here's a screenshot of what it looks like on XP.
> > http://img207.imageshack.us/my.php?image=screen1kd1.jpg
> >

> <snip>
>
> I have the same problem. Hope someone has a solution.
>
> Hugo

This might be of help.

Sharing a printer to Windows XP clients with Samba and Cups

Old 02-05-2009, 05:00 PM
Rob Singelais

mitch wrote:

I have installed hplip 2.8.7 using the automatic installer from
sourceforge and the printer works fine on Debian Lenny. I installed
samba and am trying to share it to a Windows XP machine. After I run the
add printer wizard in XP I see the workgroup (set the same on both
machines) that I set up on Debian but underneath where it is suppose to
show the printer doesn't show up. Am I missing something here?

Here's a screenshot of what it looks like on XP.
http://img207.imageshack.us/my.php?image=screen1kd1.jpg

<snip>

I have the same problem. Hope someone has a solution.

Hugo

This might be of help.

Sharing a printer to Windows XP clients with Samba and Cups

I've tried that tutorial and others online, and none of them has helped.
The way it looks to me on XP is it can see Samba but something is wrong
with my cups config because XP can't see the printer and I can't figure
out what that may be. Help please?

Old 02-05-2009, 05:27 PM
mitch

> > Sharing a printer to Windows XP clients with Samba and Cups
> >
> > http://www.debian-administration.org/articles/425
> >

> I've tried that tutorial and others online, and none of them has helped.
> The way it looks to me on XP is it can see Samba but something is wrong
> with my cups config because XP can't see the printer and I can't figure
> out what that may be. Help please?

If you post your cups config, someone maybe able to assit.

Old 02-05-2009, 06:04 PM
Rob Singelais

mitch wrote:
I've tried that tutorial and others online, and none of them has helped.
The way it looks to me on XP is it can see Samba but something is wrong
with my cups config because XP can't see the printer and I can't figure
out what that may be. Help please?

If you post your cups config, someone maybe able to assit.

I posted my cups config in my first post. But I'll post it again.

*

Old 02-05-2009, 06:29 PM
mitch

On Thu, 2009-02-05 at 14:04 -0500, Rob Singelais wrote:
> mitch wrote:
> >> I've tried that tutorial and others online, and none of them has helped.
> >> The way it looks to me on XP is it can see Samba but something is wrong
> >> with my cups config because XP can't see the printer and I can't figure
> >> out what that may be. Help please?
> >>

> > If you post your cups config, someone maybe able to assit.
> >

> I posted my cups config in my first post. But I'll post it again.
>
> *
> /etc/cups/cupsd.conf*
>
> LogLevel warning
> SystemGroup lpadmin
> # Allow remote access
> Port 631
> Listen /var/run/cups/cups.sock
> # Enable printer sharing and shared printers.
> Browsing On
> BrowseOrder allow,deny
> BrowseAllow all
> BrowseAddress @LOCAL
> DefaultAuthType Basic
> <Location />
> # Allow shared printing...
> Order allow,deny
> Allow @LOCAL
> </Location>
> <Location /admin>
> # Restrict access to the admin pages...
> Order allow,deny
> </Location>
> <Location /admin/conf>
> AuthType Default
> Require user @SYSTEM
> # Restrict access to the configuration files...
> Order allow,deny
> </Location>

<snip>

Have a look at;

http://www.debianadmin.com/setup-cups-common-unix-printing-system-server-and-client-in-debian.html

This is what I used when I had the same problem as your are having.

Also this, http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?t=10438 is a great
resource

Your cups.conf needs to be modified per the how to's.