Old 02-05-2009, 03:03 AM
Marc Shapiro

Default Sane uninstallable

This does NOT seem to be a bug. It is a problem ON MY box.

I recently upgraded from Etch to Lenny so that I could get Firefox3
without going through all of the library hoops. I have had a number of
problems, most of which I have resolved. (Getting X working properly
was, indeed, a case of getting a real (NVIDIA) graphics card instead of
relying on the onboard Sis graphics.) The only problem that remains,
that I know of, is getting my scanner to work.

I have an Epson CX7400 All-In-One. The printer works fine and it works
as a stand alone copier. The scanner is giving me trouble. I can't
install sane. Sane depends on libsane-extras and it won't install
because it can not overwrite /etc/sane.d/epkowa.conf which, in Etch came
from iscan which was installed from an .rpm using alien. I have purged
the iscan package, but the problem remains. The file is still there. I
have manually rm'd the file. It is no longer there. But I still get
the error when I try to install libsane-extras. It still seems to think
that the file is there, even though the package has been purged and the
file deleted.

How can I get sane to install and my scanner functioning?

Please help.

--
Marc Shapiro
mshapiro_42@yahoo.com

Old 02-05-2009, 03:35 AM
Marc Shapiro

Marc Shapiro wrote:

[...]

Further update. It appears that when I tried to purge the iscan package
it failed to purge. That is why the file was still there. Now, I have
deleted the file, but the package is still installed. I can't get it to
purge and I can't install sane.

HELP!

--
Marc Shapiro
mshapiro_42@yahoo.com

Old 02-05-2009, 05:57 AM
Ron Johnson

[...]

And the error message?

That is why the file was still there. Now, I have
deleted the file, but the package is still installed. I can't get it to
purge and I can't install sane.

HELP!

--
Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson LA USA

Supporting World Peace Through Nuclear Pacification

Old 02-05-2009, 10:11 AM
Daniel Dalton

On Wed, Feb 04, 2009 at 08:35:03PM -0800, Marc Shapiro wrote:
> Marc Shapiro wrote:
>> This does NOT seem to be a bug. It is a problem ON MY box.
>>
>> I recently upgraded from Etch to Lenny so that I could get Firefox3
>> without going through all of the library hoops. I have had a number of

BTW, you could have just downloaded a nightly build of firefox (already
compiled), and ran it with ./firefox
and then linked alacarte or something to your binary... That's what I do
on lenny

>> I have an Epson CX7400 All-In-One. The printer works fine and it works
>> as a stand alone copier. The scanner is giving me trouble. I can't
>> install sane. Sane depends on libsane-extras and it won't install
>> because it can not overwrite /etc/sane.d/epkowa.conf which, in Etch
>> came from iscan which was installed from an .rpm using alien. I have
>> purged the iscan package, but the problem remains. The file is still
>> there. I have manually rm'd the file. It is no longer there. But I
>> still get the error when I try to install libsane-extras. It still
>> seems to think that the file is there, even though the package has been
>> purged and the file deleted.

uh, probably a dumb question, but did u try aptitude install -f

>> How can I get sane to install and my scanner functioning?
>>
>> Please help.
>>

> Further update. It appears that when I tried to purge the iscan package
> it failed to purge. That is why the file was still there. Now, I have
> deleted the file, but the package is still installed. I can't get it to
> purge and I can't install sane.
>
> HELP!

hmmm, dpkg -r I dunno just a suggestion... delete the binaries, wait no,
that could be bad if the packaging system doesn't know about it...