Old 02-05-2009, 12:58 AM
T o n g

Default audacious-crossfade

Hi,

I am missing the audacious-crossfade plugin, after switching over from
xmms. From the inet search I have an impression that audacious-crossfade
has been a normal Debian package.

But it no longer exist from the official site. Does it ever exist? What
happened to it? Why Debian doesn't have this package, since other distros
like RedHat, Ubuntu, etc all have it.

Thanks

--
Tong (remove underscore(s) to reply)
http://xpt.sourceforge.net/techdocs/

Old 02-05-2009, 08:09 PM
Florian Ernst

Hello all,

On Thu, Feb 05, 2009 at 01:58:38AM +0000, T o n g wrote:
> I am missing the audacious-crossfade plugin, after switching over from
> xmms. From the inet search I have an impression that audacious-crossfade
> has been a normal Debian package.

True. It existed since uploading 0.3.11-3 of the source package
xmms-crossfade and entered Lenny on 07 Sep 2007[0].

> But it no longer exist from the official site. Does it ever exist? What
> happened to it? Why Debian doesn't have this package, since other distros
> like RedHat, Ubuntu, etc all have it.

According to the last package maintainer audacious-crossfade is
"impossible to use reliably with audacious 1.5", so he requested it's
removal[1] which actually happened on 12/13 May 2008. Thus, after all,
audacious-crossfade was never part of a stable Debian release.

I don't know what other distributions did to include this plugin. If
they found a way and somebody transfers their solution to Debian the
package might actually get resurrected. (NB: No, most probably I won't
be available to sponsor this, even though I have once maintained that
package myself.)

Cheers,
Flo

[0] <http://packages.qa.debian.org/xmms-crossfade>
[1] <http://bugs.debian.org/479110>

Old 02-07-2009, 06:22 PM
T o n g

On Thu, 05 Feb 2009 22:09:29 +0100, Florian Ernst wrote:

>> But it no longer exist from the official site. Does it ever exist?
>
> According to the last package maintainer audacious-crossfade is
> "impossible to use reliably with audacious 1.5" . . .

Thanks a lot Florian for your comprehensive explanation.

Just for the record, I really miss the crossfading feature, While looking
for solutions, I found another tools, aqualung, which "has the feature of
inserting no gaps between adjacent tracks". But it is no where close to
crossfading. However, I think I'll keep it to replace audacious, because
I just like its simplicity, and its even supporting some "weird" sound
formats (that I have) like MOD & Speex.