Old 02-05-2009, 12:52 AM
Ding Honghui

Default umask problem

Hello list,

I encounter a problem and can't finger out why it is:

For hostA
1. ssh user@hostA umask shows 0022
2. ssh root@hostA umask shows 0022
For hostB
3. ssh user@hostB umask shows 0077
4. ssh root@hostB umask shows 0022

md5sum for files
/etc/login.defs
/etc/pam.d/login
/etc/pam.d/ssh
/etc/ssh/sshd_config
in both hosts are same

What can be reason the umask are different in normal user when ssh in
notty mode?

Thanks.

Regards,
Ding Honghui

Old 02-05-2009, 01:43 AM
Jeff D

On Thu, 5 Feb 2009, Ding Honghui wrote:

> Hello list,
>
> I encounter a problem and can't finger out why it is:
>
> For hostA
> 1. ssh user@hostA umask shows 0022
> 2. ssh root@hostA umask shows 0022
> For hostB
> 3. ssh user@hostB umask shows 0077
> 4. ssh root@hostB umask shows 0022
>
> md5sum for files
> /etc/login.defs
> /etc/pam.d/login
> /etc/pam.d/ssh
> /etc/ssh/sshd_config
> in both hosts are same
>
> What can be reason the umask are different in normal user when ssh in
> notty mode?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Regards,
> Ding Honghui

Have you checked that users .bash_profile, that would be my first guess..

Jeff

--
8 out of 10 Owners who Expressed a Preference said Their Cats Preferred Techno.

Old 02-05-2009, 01:55 AM
Ding Honghui

Hello Jeff,

Bash will not read the profile when in notty mode.
The /etc/profile and .bash_profile both set the umask to 022, so after
login, the hostA and hostB any user have same umask.
The problem occurs in notty mode.

Regards,
Ding Honghui

Old 02-05-2009, 10:21 PM
"Boyd Stephen Smith Jr."

On Wednesday 04 February 2009 20:55:50 Ding Honghui wrote:
> Bash will not read the profile when in notty mode.
> The /etc/profile and .bash_profile both set the umask to 022, so after
> login, the hostA and hostB any user have same umask.
> The problem occurs in notty mode.

Perhaps .bashrc then? That should be run for all interactive shells
(including some shells that look interactive, but aren't).
--
Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. ,= ,-_-. =.
bss@iguanasuicide.net ((_/)o o(\_))

Old 02-07-2009, 12:25 PM
Ding Honghui

Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. wrote:
> On Wednesday 04 February 2009 20:55:50 Ding Honghui wrote:
>> Bash will not read the profile when in notty mode.
>> The /etc/profile and .bash_profile both set the umask to 022, so after
>> login, the hostA and hostB any user have same umask.
>> The problem occurs in notty mode.
>
> Perhaps .bashrc then? That should be run for all interactive shells
> (including some shells that look interactive, but aren't).
Not the .bashrc, any other possible clue?