Old 02-04-2009, 08:41 PM
Micha Feigin

Default Printing a web page shrunk to a single page

I want to print a web page (a conference that I want to hang in uni) in one
page. I can see it on screen as one page (landscape) but when I want to print
it the right side is cut out. zooming the page doesn't seem to help as the
width stays the same (cropped) and only the text is smaller.

I tried this with firefox (and explorer just in case) but I can't find a way to
solve it. Any way to fix the width/settings of the printed page or a program
that may be better at printing it? (I actually mostly want to export it to pdf
so either option will work)

thanks

Old 02-04-2009, 11:52 PM
Celejar

On Wed, 4 Feb 2009 23:41:39 +0200
Micha Feigin <michf@post.tau.ac.il> wrote:

> I want to print a web page (a conference that I want to hang in uni) in one
> page. I can see it on screen as one page (landscape) but when I want to print
> it the right side is cut out. zooming the page doesn't seem to help as the
> width stays the same (cropped) and only the text is smaller.
>
> I tried this with firefox (and explorer just in case) but I can't find a way to
> solve it. Any way to fix the width/settings of the printed page or a program
> that may be better at printing it? (I actually mostly want to export it to pdf
> so either option will work)

I've had similar problems; checking the box "Ignore Scaling and Shrink
to Fit Page Width" (File / Print / Options) seems to prevent exactly
the problem that you are seeing. I'm no guru; YMMV.

Celejar

Old 02-04-2009, 11:55 PM
Shawn Lamson

On Wed, 4 Feb 2009 23:41:39 +0200
Micha Feigin <michf@post.tau.ac.il> wrote:

> I want to print a web page (a conference that I want to hang in uni) in one
> page. I can see it on screen as one page (landscape) but when I want to print
> it the right side is cut out. zooming the page doesn't seem to help as the
> width stays the same (cropped) and only the text is smaller.
>
> I tried this with firefox (and explorer just in case) but I can't find a way to
> solve it. Any way to fix the width/settings of the printed page or a program
> that may be better at printing it? (I actually mostly want to export it to pdf
> so either option will work)

how about printing it to a file anyname.ps, run #ps2pdf anyname.ps anyname.pdf, then switch to landscape view and do scaling with adobe's acroread for linux?

> thanks

Shawn

Old 02-05-2009, 01:03 AM
Micha Feigin

On Wed, 4 Feb 2009 21:47:05 +0000
Nuno Magalh„es <nunomagalhaes@eu.ipp.pt> wrote:

> > (I actually mostly want to export it to pdf so either option will work)
> So why don't you? Firefox enables you to print to file, choose pdf.
> I'm not sure if there's an option to flip the page to landscape, but
> maybe your prdf-viewer has it.

My problem is not the pdf output but making it fit properly on the page

Old 02-14-2009, 07:43 PM
Richard Lyons

On Thu, Feb 05, 2009 at 04:03:36AM +0200, Micha Feigin wrote:

> On Wed, 4 Feb 2009 21:47:05 +0000
> Nuno Magalh„es <nunomagalhaes@eu.ipp.pt> wrote:
>
> > > (I actually mostly want to export it to pdf so either option will work)
> > So why don't you? Firefox enables you to print to file, choose pdf.
> > I'm not sure if there's an option to flip the page to landscape, but
> > maybe your prdf-viewer has it.
> >

> My problem is not the pdf output but making it fit properly on the page

Micha,

Have you tried playing with -sPAPERSIZE=... parameters when using ps2pdf
There are several gs parameters that may help AFAIR.

I have had orientation problems in the past when trying to print landscape
from browser. I found that some pdf readers do better than others when
there is a problem -- IIRC gv (my usual choice) gets them wrong, but either
evince or the adobe product is more often right.

richard