-   -   xen domU read only filesystem (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-user/240088-xen-domu-read-only-filesystem.html)

Steve Kemp 02-04-2009 04:35 PM

xen domU read only filesystem

On Wed Feb 04, 2009 at 09:10:27 -0800, Freddy Freeloader wrote:

> [ 7.149690] ReiserFS: xvda2: warning: bad value "remount-ro" for
> option "errors"

There's your problem. Remove "remount-ro" from /etc/fstab, after
remounting it read/write via:

mount -o remount,rw /

Or mounting it outside xen once you've stopped it running.

Steve
--
Managed Anti-Spam Service
http://mail-scanning.com/

Freddy Freeloader 02-04-2009 06:10 PM

Steve Kemp wrote:

On Wed Feb 04, 2009 at 09:10:27 -0800, Freddy Freeloader wrote:

[ 7.149690] ReiserFS: xvda2: warning: bad value "remount-ro" for
option "errors"

There's your problem. Remove "remount-ro" from /etc/fstab, after
remounting it read/write via:

mount -o remount,rw /

Or mounting it outside xen once you've stopped it running.

Steve

OK. That was stupid of me not to look at /etc/fstab. But, why are
xen-tools creating a read only domU file system by default in the first
place? That's what really threw me because it was just so odd that is
was being done by default that I just couldn't get past that. I'm
really green at virtualization so I thought I was missing some major
piece of configuration.

Why create an install that is, for all practical purposes, useless by
default? I just don't understand.

Steve Kemp 02-04-2009 06:17 PM

On Wed Feb 04, 2009 at 11:10:21 -0800, Freddy Freeloader wrote:

> OK. That was stupid of me not to look at /etc/fstab.

Ignoring the error message was an oversight, but not a stupid one.

> But, why are
> xen-tools creating a read only domU file system by default in the first
> place?

The default xen-tools installation creates *ext3* filesystems by
default. Since your post mentioned reiserfs you were no longer
using the default.

There are options to handle the different filesystem mount
options. You can see those in /etc/xen-tools/xen-tools.conf:

$ grep _options /etc/xen-tools/xen-tools.conf

> Why create an install that is, for all practical purposes, useless by
> default? I just don't understand.

I don't believe the configuration is broken by default.

I also don't believe any that any "default" can be reasonable
for all users when it comes to virtualization - if only because
people have different ideas about networks, filesystems, and
packages.

(ObDisclaimer: I wrote xen-tools.)

Steve
--
Debian GNU/Linux System Administration
http://www.debian-administration.org/

Freddy Freeloader 02-04-2009 06:44 PM

Steve Kemp wrote:

OK. That was stupid of me not to look at /etc/fstab.

Ignoring the error message was an oversight, but not a stupid one.

But, why are
xen-tools creating a read only domU file system by default in the first
place?

The default xen-tools installation creates *ext3* filesystems by
default. Since your post mentioned reiserfs you were no longer
using the default.

There are options to handle the different filesystem mount
options. You can see those in /etc/xen-tools/xen-tools.conf:

$ grep _options /etc/xen-tools/xen-tools.conf

So, you're telling me that if someone uses ext3 they will get a default
file system that's read/write, but if they choose any other available
file system it will be read only by default even though xen-tools.conf
doesn't list ro only as an option for mounting them? xen-tools.conf
tells me if I use reiserfs xen will use reiserfs defaults to mount it.
Since when is reiserfs a read only file system by default?

I'm not meaning to pick at you, just understand what's going on. I do
appreciate your hard work in creating xen-tools. It's just hard to wrap
my head around everything about Xen in one go, and I'm someone who has
to understand what's going on before I get comfortable with things.

Why create an install that is, for all practical purposes, useless by
default? I just don't understand.

I don't believe the configuration is broken by default.

I don't know enough to even begin to suggest that it is.

I also don't believe any that any "default" can be reasonable
for all users when it comes to virtualization - if only because
people have different ideas about networks, filesystems, and
packages.

(ObDisclaimer: I wrote xen-tools.)

I wondered about this when I saw the xen-tools author's name. Thanks
for your hard work.

Steve

Steve Kemp 02-04-2009 07:26 PM

On Wed Feb 04, 2009 at 11:44:47 -0800, Freddy Freeloader wrote:

> So, you're telling me that if someone uses ext3 they will get a default
> file system that's read/write, but if they choose any other available
> file system it will be read only by default even though xen-tools.conf
> doesn't list ro only as an option for mounting them?

No, I was specifically refuting your suggestion that by default
installations will fail.

The expectation is :

a. default filesystem ext3 - it will work.

b. reiser filesystem - it will work.

That it hasn't worked for you in this case is either a bug, or
error. I cannot tell which, though I'd like to lean towards a bug
that has not yet been reported by any users.

Steve
--
Stop blog&forum spam
http://blogspam.net/

Freddy Freeloader 02-04-2009 10:11 PM

Steve Kemp wrote:

So, you're telling me that if someone uses ext3 they will get a default
file system that's read/write, but if they choose any other available
file system it will be read only by default even though xen-tools.conf
doesn't list ro only as an option for mounting them?

No, I was specifically refuting your suggestion that by default
installations will fail.

The expectation is :

a. default filesystem ext3 - it will work.

b. reiser filesystem - it will work.

That it hasn't worked for you in this case is either a bug, or
error. I cannot tell which, though I'd like to lean towards a bug
that has not yet been reported by any users.

Steve

OK. Thanks for your help. You want me to file a bug report on it?