Old 02-04-2009, 04:16 PM
Richard Lyons

Default altering iceweasel print settings

This seems quite out of control now. I have a lenny box with iceweasel
3.0.5
[Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; it; rv:1.9.0.5) Gecko/2008122011
Iceweasel/3.0.5 (Debian-3.0.5-1)]

The page setup dialog has no margin settings, only the choice of printer,
papersize and orientation. Changing the papersize has no effect and it
reverts every time to the non-standard american letter size. I've tried
with about:config which starts with a bizarre announcement about voiding
warranty and then offers what looks like a solution, with several different
margin settings. With these, some change can be made -- I can get an A4
page from easyjet to print on the preview on one page, for example. However
these also reset themselves as soon as you actually send anything to the
printer.

Is this a buggy release or just an antifeature?

richard

Old 02-06-2009, 08:04 AM
Richard Lyons

Replying to my own posting, in case it helps someone else...

On Wed, Feb 04, 2009 at 05:16:08PM +0000, Richard Lyons wrote:

> This seems quite out of control now. I have a lenny box with iceweasel
> 3.0.5
> [Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; it; rv:1.9.0.5) Gecko/2008122011
> Iceweasel/3.0.5 (Debian-3.0.5-1)]
>
> The page setup dialog has no margin settings, only the choice of printer,
> papersize and orientation. Changing the papersize has no effect and it
> reverts every time to the non-standard american letter size. I've tried
> with about:config which starts with a bizarre announcement about voiding
> warranty and then offers what looks like a solution, with several different
> margin settings. With these, some change can be made -- I can get an A4
> page from easyjet to print on the preview on one page, for example. However
> these also reset themselves as soon as you actually send anything to the
> printer.
>
> Is this a buggy release or just an antifeature?

It is a serious bug. It takes a lot of persistence to get two consecutive
pages to print with margins that do not split onto two pages a layout
intended to be on one page. I don't know if this will survive restarting
firefox, but I succeeded with the following:

- In page settings | click on papersize to get a menu with 'manage
personalised paper size' and select this.
- Create a new papersize called 'real A4' and set all margins to zero.

- Open "about:config", accepting a warning about voiding warranty (!)

- Alter _all_ of the following settings. If you don't do all, then they
reset themselves when printing a page and have to be redone for the next
page. It may be that some of these can be omitted, there were too many
to permutate completely, but I spent 3 hours trying before succeeding.
There are several sets of settings for bottom, right , left, and top -
where I set these the same I list them below with a wildcard (*) to save
time:

print.postscript.paper_size real A4
print.print_edge_* 0
print.print_extra_margin 0
print.print_footer_*
print.print_header_*
print.print_unwritable_margin_bottom -1
print.print_unwritable_margin_left -1
print.print_unwritable_margin_right -1
print.print_unwritable_margin_top -2
print.printer_print_to_file.print_footer*
print.printer_print_to_file.print_header*
print.printer_print_to_file.print_margin_bottom 0.1
print.printer_print_to_file.print_margin_right 0.1
print.printer_print_to_file.print_margin_left 0.5
print.printer_print_to_file.print_margin_top 0.1
print.printer_print_to_file.print_paper_name real A4
print.printer_print_to_file.print_unwriteable_marg in_* 0
print.printer_hplj5.print_edge_* 0
print.printer_hplj5.print_footer_*
print.printer_hplj5.print_header_*
print.printer_hplj5.print_unwritable_margin_bottom -1
print.printer_hplj5.print_unwritable_margin_left -1
print.printer_hplj5.print_unwritable_margin_right -1
print.printer_hplj5.print_unwritable_margin_top -2
print.printer_hplj5.print_margin_bottom 0.1
print.printer_hplj5.print_margin_right 0.1
print.printer_hplj5.print_margin_left 0.5
print.printer_hplj5.print_margin_top 0.1
print.printer_hplj5.print_paper_name real A4
print.printer_hplj5.print_unwriteable_margin_* 0

Obviously, the printername will vary depending on what is set up on a
particular system.

I have now tested closing Firefox and restarting it. The settings appear to
remain, so I may be able to print my boarding cards the next time I travel
too! (But why should it be so very difficult?)

HTH somebody

richard