Old 02-04-2009, 11:31 AM
Phillipus Gunawan

Default Debian VPN

Hi There,

I saw a WatchGuard VPN hardware today (http://www.watchguard.com.au/), I might be naive about this box.
Well, what interested me, this box offer its client to connect to the local network remotely

In short, by installing a watchgurad VPN software, a remote computer can virtually connected with the lan at work
With existing inet connection, the client can connect as if the computer connected to lan, using its resources such as the printer at the office, open share folder

Is there any debian package offer such thing like that? A deb linux VPN server to serve wind0e$ client?

Just a thought something to make me busy this weekend....

Cheers,

Make Yahoo!7 your homepage and win a trip to the Quiksilver Pro. Find out more

Old 02-04-2009, 11:41 AM
Andre Luiz Rodrigues Ferreira

Hi Phillipus!
The Debian offers some tools that implement VPN, like OpenVPN
(SSL/TLS) and Openswan (IPsec).

2009/2/4 Phillipus Gunawan <mr_phillipus@yahoo.com>:
> Hi There,
>
> I saw a WatchGuard VPN hardware today (http://www.watchguard.com.au/), I might be naive about this box.
> Well, what interested me, this box offer its client to connect to the local network remotely
>
> In short, by installing a watchgurad VPN software, a remote computer can virtually connected with the lan at work
> With existing inet connection, the client can connect as if the computer connected to lan, using its resources such as the printer at the office, open share folder
>
> Is there any debian package offer such thing like that? A deb linux VPN server to serve wind0e$ client?
>
> Just a thought something to make me busy this weekend....
>
> Cheers,

> Make Yahoo!7 your homepage and win a trip to the Quiksilver Pro. Find out more

Andre Luiz Rodrigues Ferreira (si0ux)

Old 02-04-2009, 11:41 AM
Florian Weimer

* Phillipus Gunawan:

> Is there any debian package offer such thing like that? A deb linux
> VPN server to serve wind0e$ client?

OpenVPN is typically used for that.

Old 02-04-2009, 11:41 AM
Steve Kemp

> Is there any debian package offer such thing like that?
> A deb linux VPN server to serve wind0e$ client?

There are several alternatives, perhaps the most widely
used is openvpn which you can find documented here:

http://www.openvpn.org/

In the future you might save yourself some time by
using your favourite search engine "vpn server debian"
has many results.

Even searching the packages available to your system
with the following command returns multiple results:

apt-cache search vpn

Once you've picked a package name you can read the
description easily enough via:

apt-cache show openvpn

Steve

Old 02-04-2009, 04:59 PM
Joe

Florian Weimer wrote:

* Phillipus Gunawan:

Is there any debian package offer such thing like that? A deb linux
VPN server to serve wind0e$ client?

OpenVPN is typically used for that.

To avoid any small confusion, you would need to use an OpenVPN client on
Windows. Windows natively uses the PPTP VPN, and that's what it will
look for if you just 'set up a VPN connection'. There is a PPTP server
for Linux, but I've never used it, I have used the Linux PPTP client to
connect to Windows servers.

--
Joe