-   -   Distinguishing SATA disks (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-user/239834-distinguishing-sata-disks.html)

Hendrik Boom 02-04-2009 10:23 AM

Distinguishing SATA disks

I'm currently running an etch system, soon to be updated to Lenny.

I recently installed two identical internal SATA disks and spend a few
days bad-block testing them. They passed.

They show up as /dev/sda and /dev/sdb.

As far as I know, these /dev designators are dynamically assigned at boot
time. (I've had previous problems with multiple eth devices, solved by
removing the ones I didn't need).

How can I ensure that the same /dev's are always associated with the same
physical drives? Or am I misunderstanding something here and has the
problem become obsolete?

-- hendrik