Old 02-03-2009, 11:42 AM
Paul Cartwright

Default No-Script, was: google earth 5.0

On Tue February 3 2009, Ron Johnson wrote:
> > That page never shows up although NoScript has the permissions set, it
> > is related to that, because as another user who does not have the
> > NoScript plugin the page *did* show up.
>
> Aggravations like this are why I deinstalled NoScript on my Linux
> box. *(ABP and Flashblock are trusted friends, though.)

I would have to second that motion.. I used to use No-script, but it just got
inthe way more than it helped.. sites that I NEED to get to on a regular
basis were just to hard to deal with.

--
Paul Cartwright
Registered Linux user # 367800

Old 02-03-2009, 12:56 PM
"thveillon.debian"

Paul Cartwright a écrit :
> On Tue February 3 2009, Ron Johnson wrote:
>>> That page never shows up although NoScript has the permissions set, it
>>> is related to that, because as another user who does not have the
>>> NoScript plugin the page *did* show up.
>> Aggravations like this are why I deinstalled NoScript on my Linux
>> box. (ABP and Flashblock are trusted friends, though.)
>

> I would have to second that motion.. I used to use No-script, but it just got
> inthe way more than it helped.. sites that I NEED to get to on a regular
> basis were just to hard to deal with.

Well, I am using NoScript 1.9 and had no trouble downloading GooleEarth,
it's not from debian packages though, it's from mozilla.com (maybe
version problem ?). Anyway there is enough configuration/whitelisting
options in NoScript to keep everybody happy ;-)

Tom

Old 02-03-2009, 11:50 PM
Celejar

On Tue, 3 Feb 2009 07:42:58 -0500
Paul Cartwright <ale@pcartwright.com> wrote:

> On Tue February 3 2009, Ron Johnson wrote:
> > > That page never shows up although NoScript has the permissions set, it
> > > is related to that, because as another user who does not have the
> > > NoScript plugin the page *did* show up.
> >
> > Aggravations like this are why I deinstalled NoScript on my Linux
> > box. *(ABP and Flashblock are trusted friends, though.)
>

> I would have to second that motion.. I used to use No-script, but it just got
> inthe way more than it helped.. sites that I NEED to get to on a regular
> basis were just to hard to deal with.

I generally find that on pages that I need and trust, selecting "Allow
all this page" (possibly multiple times) causes them to work properly.

Celejar

Old 02-05-2009, 08:40 AM
Adam Hardy

Paul Cartwright on 03/02/09 12:42, wrote:

On Tue February 3 2009, Ron Johnson wrote:

That page never shows up although NoScript has the permissions set, it
is related to that, because as another user who does not have the
NoScript plugin the page *did* show up.

Aggravations like this are why I deinstalled NoScript on my Linux
box. (ABP and Flashblock are trusted friends, though.)

I would have to second that motion.. I used to use No-script, but it just got
inthe way more than it helped.. sites that I NEED to get to on a regular
basis were just to hard to deal with.

On my old machine I couldn't run FF tolerably without No-script.

If I ever have problems, I just click the icon and choose 'allow scripts
globally' and also right-click ABP and uncheck 'enable ABP'.

You can never predict what's coming from where or whether the page is just
broken, and I find ABP just as much to blame as no-script when it goes wrong.

Old 02-05-2009, 11:43 AM
Ron Johnson

On 02/05/2009 03:40 AM, Adam Hardy wrote:

Paul Cartwright on 03/02/09 12:42, wrote:

On Tue February 3 2009, Ron Johnson wrote:

That page never shows up although NoScript has the permissions set, it
is related to that, because as another user who does not have the
NoScript plugin the page *did* show up.

Aggravations like this are why I deinstalled NoScript on my Linux
box. (ABP and Flashblock are trusted friends, though.)

I would have to second that motion.. I used to use No-script, but it
just got inthe way more than it helped.. sites that I NEED to get to
on a regular basis were just to hard to deal with.

On my old machine I couldn't run FF tolerably without No-script.

Please expound.

If I ever have problems, I just click the icon and choose 'allow scripts
globally' and also right-click ABP and uncheck 'enable ABP'.

You can never predict what's coming from where or whether the page is
just broken, and I find ABP just as much to blame as no-script when it

Yes, I sometimes must add ABP exceptions, but only on a tiny
fraction of pages compared to NS.

goes wrong.

--
Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson LA USA

Supporting World Peace Through Nuclear Pacification

Old 02-09-2009, 07:19 AM
Adam Hardy

Ron Johnson on 05/02/09 12:43, wrote:

On 02/05/2009 03:40 AM, Adam Hardy wrote:

Paul Cartwright on 03/02/09 12:42, wrote:

On Tue February 3 2009, Ron Johnson wrote:

That page never shows up although NoScript has the permissions set, it
is related to that, because as another user who does not have the
NoScript plugin the page *did* show up.

Aggravations like this are why I deinstalled NoScript on my Linux
box. (ABP and Flashblock are trusted friends, though.)

I would have to second that motion.. I used to use No-script, but it
just got inthe way more than it helped.. sites that I NEED to get to
on a regular basis were just to hard to deal with.

On my old machine I couldn't run FF tolerably without No-script.

Please expound.

In terms of speed - with No-script disabled, the javascript on many websites
causes FF to lock up completely for 10, 20 or even 30 seconds (and without even
displaying anything to read).

I don't have javascript allowed for more than a couple of websites by default. I
often have to allow it to do certain things, but then disallow it again
afterwards to get the page load time back down.

The downside of course is all the dumb websites which have programmed html forms
to submit using javascript - totally unnecessary.

Old 02-09-2009, 12:17 PM
Ron Johnson

On 02/09/2009 02:19 AM, Adam Hardy wrote:

Ron Johnson on 05/02/09 12:43, wrote:

On 02/05/2009 03:40 AM, Adam Hardy wrote:

[snip]

On my old machine I couldn't run FF tolerably without No-script.

Please expound.

In terms of speed - with No-script disabled, the javascript on many
websites causes FF to lock up completely for 10, 20 or even 30 seconds
(and without even displaying anything to read).

Really? How old of a machine?

Old 02-09-2009, 04:21 PM
"H.S."

Ron Johnson wrote:
> On 02/09/2009 02:19 AM, Adam Hardy wrote:
>> Ron Johnson on 05/02/09 12:43, wrote:
>>> On 02/05/2009 03:40 AM, Adam Hardy wrote:
> [snip]

>>> Please expound.
>>
>> In terms of speed - with No-script disabled, the javascript on many
>> websites causes FF to lock up completely for 10, 20 or even 30 seconds
>> (and without even displaying anything to read).
>
> Really? How old of a machine?

I can give one example: in Icepae (Debian Testing) it takes around 30
seconds to get Slashdot page loaded partially when Iceape then tells me
that the web page has a script running that is taking a bit too long. I
then tell noscript to stop that script. End result, around 30 seconds to
load this web page.

This is on a 1.9 GHz Intel Pentium 4 processor, 1.25 GB RAM.

On a newer machine that web page loads within some seconds, around 5 or
so if I am not wrong.

->HS

ever having been read.

Old 02-15-2009, 03:40 PM
Adam Hardy

H.S. on 09/02/09 17:21, wrote:

Ron Johnson wrote:

[...]

Just realised I had engaged my mouth (or better said my keyboard) before
engaging my brain - I use firebug with all its HTML, Javascript and HTTP
analytics and I have been running that all the time, effectively debugging all
the javascript that loads. Disabling it for normal surfing has dropped the load
times (and javascript freeze) by 66%. Doofus.

It's iceweasel running on a P4 2.4GHz CPU with 1048MB RAM with 2.5Mbps BB.

maps.google.co.uk takes 20 secs to load first up, unless I leave firebug
activated in which case it takes 1 min 10 secs :S

The other pages such as BBC.co.uk and nabble.com take 5 secs without firebug -
nothing to complain about too much I guess.