Old 02-03-2009, 03:13 AM
Jack

Default Configuring wlan on Debian Base installation

I recently installed a base-install of Debian linux on an old laptop.
I have a netgear WG511T wifi pci card, which I was successful in
installing the madwifi drivers for. I'm almost certain that the
drivers are working fine, because I am able to use my card and scan
for wireless networks.

I'm not sure if I'm just setting this up wrong (I'm still new to
linux), or if something else is wrong, but my problem is this: I use
ifconfig to assign an IP address to wlan0, iwconfig to set the ssid
and key, and then I add a route to the gateway

ifconfig wlan0 192.168.2.138 up
iwconfig wlan0 essid "<My network ssid>" key <My hexadecimal WEP key>
route add default gw 192.168.2.1

After using iwconfig the lights on the card flash in sync, telling me
that it should be connected to the network without any problems.
But pinging the gateway, or any other computer on my network, results
in each packet returning "Destination Host Unreachable".
I have also already set up my dns in /etc/resolv.conf, not that it
should make any difference pinging local IP's.

The most annoying part is that I had this working and connected to the
internet earlier today, but for some reason it refuses to work now. So
as soon as I figure out how to get it connected, figuring out how to
permanently configure it would be preferable =)

Any help would be appreciated - I can post logs of outputs if it would help.
--
Jack