-   -   How to disable a network interface (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-user/238857-how-disable-network-interface.html)

subscriptions 02-02-2009 08:39 PM

How to disable a network interface

On Mon, 2009-02-02 at 22:31 +0100, Nagy Daniel wrote:
> What is the -_offical_- way, for disabling an on-board LAN [like
> eth0], I mean it stays disabled after reboot too?
>
> Thank you in anticipation

in /etc/network/interfaces, there is a line, which brings up the
networks on boot:

---snip---
auto lo eth0
---snip---

When the LAN is on eth0, simply remove it:

---snip---
auto lo
---snip---

Rob

Ron Johnson 02-02-2009 08:40 PM

On 02/02/2009 03:31 PM, Nagy Daniel wrote:

What is the -_offical_- way, for disabling an on-board LAN [like
eth0], I mean it stays disabled after reboot too?

Thank you in anticipation

1) Go into the BIOS and disable it.

2) Edit /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules to remove the
relevant line, based on it's MAC address.

--
Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson LA USA

Andy Hawkins 02-02-2009 09:09 PM

How to disable a network interface

Hi,

In article <49876864.4050201@cox.net>,
Ron Johnson<ron.l.johnson@cox.net> wrote:
> 2) Edit /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules to remove the
> relevant line, based on it's MAC address.

It'll just get recreated won't it?

Andy

Nagy Daniel 02-02-2009 11:03 PM

How to disable a network interface

I commented out he:

allow-hotplug eth0
iface eth0 inet dhcp

and all I have in the "/etc/network/interfaces"-file is:

auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

and after reboot I still have network connection, how come? :(

Ron Johnson 02-03-2009 12:09 AM

How to disable a network interface

2) Edit /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules to remove the
relevant line, based on it's MAC address.

It'll just get recreated won't it?

That's what step (1) is for: disable the "NIC" in the BIOS.

(My mobo has two NICs. Disabling one of them from the BIOS means
that Linux doesn't see it.)

--
Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson LA USA

Eduardo M KALINOWSKI 02-03-2009 10:15 AM

Nagy Daniel wrote:
> I commented out he:
>
> allow-hotplug eth0
> iface eth0 inet dhcp
>
> and all I have in the "/etc/network/interfaces"-file is:
>
> auto lo
> iface lo inet loopback
>
> and after reboot I still have network connection, how come? :(

Do you have NetworkManager installed?

--
Eduardo M KALINOWSKI
eduardo@kalinowski.com.br

Eduardo M KALINOWSKI 02-03-2009 12:28 PM

Nagy Daniel wrote:
> 2009/2/3 Eduardo M KALINOWSKI <eduardo@kalinowski.com.br>:
>> Nagy Daniel wrote:
>>> I commented out he:
>>>
>>> allow-hotplug eth0
>>> iface eth0 inet dhcp
>>>
>>> and all I have in the "/etc/network/interfaces"-file is:
>>>
>>> auto lo
>>> iface lo inet loopback
>>>
>>> and after reboot I still have network connection, how come? :(
>>>
>> Do you have NetworkManager installed?
>
> yes

Then either remove NetworkManager if you are not going to use it, or
configure it not to automatically enable that interface.

And please reply to the list (and only the list), not me, and please do
not top post, it interferes with the usual flow of reading (from top to
bottom).

--
I'm a lucky guy, and I'm happy to be with the Yankees. And I want to
thank everyone for making this night necessary.

Eduardo M KALINOWSKI
eduardo@kalinowski.com.br
http://move.to/hpkb