Old 02-02-2009, 08:11 PM
Nagy Dániel

Default AD-like environment under Linux

Is there an Active Directory - like "environment" under Linux? [I mean
like the roaming profile, - that a user sits to any computer, and can
log in with user/pass, and see he's desktop.]

Linux server
/
Linux clients? Windows clients?

OR:

Windows server with
/
Linux clients? Windows clients?

eg.: I have a Linux server, and can a Windows client log in with eg. a
roaming profile?

Thank you!

Old 02-02-2009, 08:36 PM
subscriptions

On Mon, 2009-02-02 at 22:11 +0100, Nagy Dániel wrote:

> eg.: I have a Linux server, and can a Windows client log in with eg. a
> roaming profile?

What is the goal to achieve?

Rob

Old 02-02-2009, 08:45 PM
Ron Johnson

Is there an Active Directory - like "environment" under Linux? [I mean
like the roaming profile, - that a user sits to any computer, and can
log in with user/pass, and see he's desktop.]

Linux server
/
Linux clients? Windows clients?

OR:

Windows server with
/
Linux clients? Windows clients?

eg.: I have a Linux server, and can a Windows client log in with eg. a
roaming profile?

Samba4 is what you want. But documentation is sparse. Hope you
have a test LAN.

--
Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson LA USA

Old 02-02-2009, 08:52 PM
Nagy Daniel

I just want to know, if it's possible, to get eg.: "roaming profiles
under Linux" :P

Old 02-02-2009, 09:06 PM
Martin

gmail hates me sorry for private posting....

Old 02-02-2009, 10:10 PM
Gilles Mocellin

On Mon, Feb 02, 2009 at 03:45:26PM -0600, Ron Johnson wrote:
> On 02/02/2009 03:11 PM, Nagy Dániel wrote:
>> Is there an Active Directory - like "environment" under Linux? [I mean
>> like the roaming profile, - that a user sits to any computer, and can
>> log in with user/pass, and see he's desktop.]
>>
>> Linux server
>> /
>> Linux clients? Windows clients?
>>
>> OR:
>>
>> Windows server with
>> /
>> Linux clients? Windows clients?
>>

>> eg.: I have a Linux server, and can a Windows client log in with eg. a
>> roaming profile?
>
> Samba4 is what you want. But documentation is sparse. Hope you have a
> test LAN.

Ouch !
No need to the still experimental and unfinished samba 4 for that.

It works great with actual samba.

I use a samba share (under Debian) to provide roamng profiles to a Windows/Citrix farm.
Samba, via winbind, use AD for authentification and ACLs.

For the Linux client part of the question, Unix systems uses "roaming profiles" for decades.
In fact, it is not roaming profiles, it's just a home on a server, mounted via NFS on the clients via automount, even diskless.
Atuhentification can be done via NIS, LDAP or ... AD...

Old 02-03-2009, 10:12 AM
Aneurin Price

On Mon, Feb 2, 2009 at 11:10 PM, Gilles Mocellin
<gilles.mocellin@free.fr> wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 02, 2009 at 03:45:26PM -0600, Ron Johnson wrote:
>> On 02/02/2009 03:11 PM, Nagy Dániel wrote:
>>> Is there an Active Directory - like "environment" under Linux? [I mean
>>> like the roaming profile, - that a user sits to any computer, and can
>>> log in with user/pass, and see he's desktop.]

> I use a samba share (under Debian) to provide roamng profiles to a Windows/Citrix farm.
> Samba, via winbind, use AD for authentification and ACLs.
>
> For the Linux client part of the question, Unix systems uses "roaming profiles" for decades.
> In fact, it is not roaming profiles, it's just a home on a server, mounted via NFS on the clients via automount, even diskless.
> Atuhentification can be done via NIS, LDAP or ... AD...

Note that Samba 3 can't (AFAIK) be a real AD server, though it can integrate
into an AD domain just fine (well actually it took me a couple of weeks of
working on it on and off to figure out why it wouldn't join as all the
documentation and tutorials suggested it should, and it's still not working
quite right, but at least I can provide file shares with the appropriate ACLs,
which is all I really wanted).

However, I don't know of any system quite like roaming profiles for Linux. NFS
/home isn't really the same in the general case because it relies on a constant
connection between client and server, or things will be bad. For something like
a laptop, or any non-high-availability situation, what's really needed is NFS
with transparent local caching, and so far as I'm aware it doesn't exist,
presumably because the synchronisation would be a bitch. If it *does* exist in
usable form, I would be grateful to hear about it!

Nye

Old 02-03-2009, 04:34 PM
"Boyd Stephen Smith Jr."

On Tuesday 03 February 2009 05:12:09 Aneurin Price wrote:
> However, I don't know of any system quite like roaming profiles for
> Linux. NFS /home isn't really the same in the general case because it
> relies on a constant connection between client and server, or things will
> be bad.

AFS /home then. There are network filesystems other than NFS.

> For something like a laptop, or any non-high-availability
> situation, what's really needed is NFS with transparent local caching,
> and so far as I'm aware it doesn't exist, presumably because the
> synchronisation would be a bitch. If it *does* exist in usable form, I
> would be grateful to hear about it!

Start with AFS, and then also investigate the various forks that have
support on Linux. You might find one to meet your needs. (I think all of
them as dependent on being able to get Kerberos credentials, so *some*
connectivity is required.)
--
Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. ,= ,-_-. =.
bss@iguanasuicide.net ((_/)o o(\_))

Old 02-03-2009, 05:19 PM
Aneurin Price

On Tue, Feb 3, 2009 at 5:34 PM, Boyd Stephen Smith Jr.
<bss@iguanasuicide.net> wrote:
> On Tuesday 03 February 2009 05:12:09 Aneurin Price wrote:
>> However, I don't know of any system quite like roaming profiles for
>> Linux. NFS /home isn't really the same in the general case because it
>> relies on a constant connection between client and server, or things will
>> be bad.
>
> AFS /home then. There are network filesystems other than NFS.
>
>> For something like a laptop, or any non-high-availability
>> situation, what's really needed is NFS with transparent local caching,
>> and so far as I'm aware it doesn't exist, presumably because the
>> synchronisation would be a bitch. If it *does* exist in usable form, I
>> would be grateful to hear about it!
>
> Start with AFS, and then also investigate the various forks that have
> support on Linux. You might find one to meet your needs. (I think all of
> them as dependent on being able to get Kerberos credentials, so *some*
> connectivity is required.)

I seem to recall discounting AFS for some reaason which I can't remember,
and which may no longer be relevant. Of interest to me is the approach to
update conflict resolution, which seems to require user input in the general
case, and then opens further questions on a multi-user system, like who the
system should ask for help. From what I could tell from a quick Google, that
appears to be an area that's still under development (in OpenAFS at least).
Anyway I will take another look at this.

Nye