FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Debian > Debian User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 02-02-2009, 05:14 PM
Thomas Preud'homme
 
Default radeonhd on R5xx based card + dri very slow

Greetings,

I tried to install xorg 7.4 in order to have radeonhd driver version >
1.2.2 which supports 3D for R5xx based video card.

After configuration problems around evdev (I'll write a mail later for
people which would have the same problem), I finally get a xorg working
(almost) like a charm.

glxinfo | grep render gives :

direct rendering: Yes

I also have :

egrep "^.*Load.*(m|M)odule.*radeonhd" /var/log/Xorg.0.log
(II) LoadModule: "radeonhd"
(II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers//radeonhd_drv.so

and

egrep "^.*Load.*(m|M)odule.*dri" /var/log/Xorg.0.log
(II) LoadModule: "dri"
(II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/extensions//libdri.so
(II) LoadModule: "dri2"
(II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/extensions//libdri2.so

so all seems fine.

But, glxgears gives me :

glxgears
1008 frames in 5.0 seconds = 201.471 FPS
1226 frames in 5.0 seconds = 245.142 FPS
1237 frames in 5.0 seconds = 247.393 FPS
1236 frames in 5.0 seconds = 247.034 FPS

If I play a game or a 3D screensaver it's awfully slow as expected.

Did I misunderstand something about the configuration ?

Why is it so slow ?

Regards,

Thomas Preud'homme

--
Why debian : http://www.debian.org/intro/why_debian
 
Old 02-16-2009, 03:53 AM
Amit Uttamchandani
 
Default radeonhd on R5xx based card + dri very slow

On Mon, 2 Feb 2009 19:14:36 +0100
Thomas Preud'homme <thomas.preudhomme@celest.fr> wrote:

[snip]

>
> glxgears
> 1008 frames in 5.0 seconds = 201.471 FPS
> 1226 frames in 5.0 seconds = 245.142 FPS
> 1237 frames in 5.0 seconds = 247.393 FPS
> 1236 frames in 5.0 seconds = 247.034 FPS
>
> If I play a game or a 3D screensaver it's awfully slow as expected.
>
> Did I misunderstand something about the configuration ?
>
> Why is it so slow ?
>
> Regards,
>
> Thomas Preud'homme

Are the xorg and drivers that you installed from experimental? I had to
install all these packages from experimental in order to get a fully
functional set up. Also, the mesa packages need to be compatible with
the driver you are using. This means, the latest 3D drivers usually use
the latest mesa libraries.

Also is your graphics card compatible with the 'radeon' driver? I've
had more success with that.

Good luck,
Amit


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 02-16-2009, 07:43 AM
"Thomas Preud'homme"
 
Default radeonhd on R5xx based card + dri very slow

On Monday 16 February 2009 05:53:00 Amit Uttamchandani wrote:
> On Mon, 2 Feb 2009 19:14:36 +0100
> Thomas Preud'homme <thomas.preudhomme@celest.fr> wrote:
>
> [snip]
>
> > glxgears
> > 1008 frames in 5.0 seconds = 201.471 FPS
> > 1226 frames in 5.0 seconds = 245.142 FPS
> > 1237 frames in 5.0 seconds = 247.393 FPS
> > 1236 frames in 5.0 seconds = 247.034 FPS
> >
> > If I play a game or a 3D screensaver it's awfully slow as expected.
> >
> > Did I misunderstand something about the configuration ?
> >
> > Why is it so slow ?
> >
> > Regards,
> >
> > Thomas Preud'homme
>
> Are the xorg and drivers that you installed from experimental? I had to
> install all these packages from experimental in order to get a fully
> functional set up. Also, the mesa packages need to be compatible with
> the driver you are using. This means, the latest 3D drivers usually use
> the latest mesa libraries.

Yes, all of these is installed. I'm sorry in fact because I forgot about this
thread: I actually found what was the problem. ATI cards need an additional
option in xorg.conf in the section "Device":

Option "DRI"

For those who would seek for the same information, I attach my xorg.conf to
this email. As latest xorg now uses evdev instead of kbd, I attach my working
evdev config un hal. I don't know if it's a clean configuration but it's a
working one. By the way, I think there is a bug on xserver-xorg because a
reconfigure modify the xorg.conf for the keyboard although this does nothing.
Only modifications in /usr/share/hal/fdi/policy/10osvendor/10-keymap.fdi have
made xorg recognize my keyboard layout and options.

>
> Also is your graphics card compatible with the 'radeon' driver? I've
> had more success with that.

Yep it is. It's an X1600 Mobility chipset. It now perfectly works with
transparency on KDE 4

>
> Good luck,

Thank

> Amit

Regards,

Thomas Preud'homme

# xorg.conf (X.Org X Window System server configuration file)
#
# This file was generated by dexconf, the Debian X Configuration tool, using
# values from the debconf database.
#
# Edit this file with caution, and see the xorg.conf manual page.
# (Type "man xorg.conf" at the shell prompt.)
#
# This file is automatically updated on xserver-xorg package upgrades *only*
# if it has not been modified since the last upgrade of the xserver-xorg
# package.
#
# If you have edited this file but would like it to be automatically updated
# again, run the following command:
# sudo dpkg-reconfigure -phigh xserver-xorg

Section "ServerLayout"
Identifier "MBP Layout"
Screen "MBP Screen" 0 0
# Screen "Iiyama Screen" 0 0
# InputDevice "MBP Keyboard"
InputDevice "Synaptics Touchpad"
EndSection

Section "Files"
EndSection

Section "Module"
Load "bitmap"
Load "ddc"
Load "dri"
Load "extmod"
Load "freetype"
Load "glx"
Load "int10"
Load "vbe"
Load "synaptics"
EndSection

#Section "InputDevice"
# Identifier "MBP Keyboard"
# Driver "evdev"
# Driver "kbd"
# Option "CoreKeyboard"
# Option "XkbModel" "evdev"
# Option "XkbLayout" "fr"
# Option "XkbRules" "xorg"
# Option "XkbModel" "macintosh"
# Option "XkbModel" "macbook79"
# Option "XkbLayout" "fr"
# Option "XkbLayout" "mac"
# Option "XkbOptions" "lv3:lalt_switch"
# Option "XkbOptions" "lv3:alt_switch,altwin:alt_super_win"
# Option "XkbOptions" "lv3:alt_switch,ctrl:ctrl_ra"
#EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "Synaptics Touchpad"
Driver "synaptics"
Option "CorePointer"
Option "SendCoreEvents" "true"
Option "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
Option "Protocol" "auto-dev"
Option "SHMConfig" "true"
Option "LeftEdge" "100"
Option "RightEdge" "1120"
Option "TopEdge" "50"
Option "BottomEdge" "310"
Option "MinSpeed" "0.60"
Option "MaxSpeed" "1"
Option "AccelFactor" "0.30"
Option "FingerHigh" "1"
Option "FingerLow" "1"
Option "MaxTapTime" "100"
Option "MaxTapMove" "100"
Option "MaxDoubleTapTime" "100"
Option "FastTaps" "0"
Option "TapButton1" "1"
Option "TapButton2" "3"
Option "TapButton3" "2"
Option "VertScrollDelta" "25"
Option "HorizScrollDelta" "80"
Option "VertEdgeScroll" "0"
Option "HorizEdgeScroll" "0"
Option "VertTwoFingerScroll" "1"
Option "HorizTwoFingerScroll" "1"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
Identifier "MacBook Pro LCD"
HorizSync 28.0 - 72.0
VertRefresh 43.0 - 60.0
Option "VendorName" "Apple"
Option "ModelName" "Flat Panel"
Option "DPMS" "true"
EndSection

#Section "Monitor"
# Identifier "Iiyama ProLite B2403WS"
# HorizSync 31.0 - 83.0
# VertRefresh 56.0 - 75.0
# Option "VendorName" "Iiyama"
# Option "ModelName" "ProLite B2403WS"
# Option "DPMS" "true"
#EndSection

Section "Device"

Identifier "ATI Mobility X1600"
Driver "radeonhd"
# Driver "fglrx"
Screen 0
Option "EnableMonitor" "lvds,tmds1"
Option "DRI"
EndSection

#Section "Device"
#
# Identifier "ATI Mobility X1600 external"
# Driver "fglrx"
# Screen 1
# Option "EnableMonitor" "lvds,tmds1"
#EndSection

Section "Screen"
Identifier "MBP Screen"
Device "ATI Mobility X1600"
Monitor "MacBook Pro LCD"
DefaultDepth 24
SubSection "Display"
Modes "1440x900"
Virtual 3360 2100
EndSubSection
EndSection

#Section "Screen"
# Identifier "Iiyama Screen"
# Device "ATI Mobility X1600 external"
# Monitor "Iiyama ProLite B2403WS"
# DefaultDepth 24
# SubSection "Display"
# Modes "1920x1080"
# EndSubSection
#EndSection

Section "Extensions"
Option "Composite" "Enable"
EndSection
 
Old 02-19-2009, 07:32 AM
Amit Uttamchandani
 
Default radeonhd on R5xx based card + dri very slow

On Mon, 16 Feb 2009 09:43:17 +0100
"Thomas Preud'homme" <thomas.preudhomme@celest.fr> wrote:

[snip]

>
> Yes, all of these is installed. I'm sorry in fact because I forgot about this
> thread: I actually found what was the problem. ATI cards need an additional
> option in xorg.conf in the section "Device":
>
> Option "DRI"
>
> For those who would seek for the same information, I attach my xorg.conf to
> this email. As latest xorg now uses evdev instead of kbd, I attach my working
> evdev config un hal. I don't know if it's a clean configuration but it's a
> working one. By the way, I think there is a bug on xserver-xorg because a
> reconfigure modify the xorg.conf for the keyboard although this does nothing.
> Only modifications in /usr/share/hal/fdi/policy/10osvendor/10-keymap.fdi have
> made xorg recognize my keyboard layout and options.
>
> >
> > Also is your graphics card compatible with the 'radeon' driver? I've
> > had more success with that.
>
> Yep it is. It's an X1600 Mobility chipset. It now perfectly works with
> transparency on KDE 4
>

That's great news! Thanks for posting back!


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 02-19-2009, 11:55 AM
"Thomas Preud'homme"
 
Default radeonhd on R5xx based card + dri very slow

On Thursday 19 February 2009 09:32:33 Amit Uttamchandani wrote:
> On Mon, 16 Feb 2009 09:43:17 +0100
> "Thomas Preud'homme" <thomas.preudhomme@celest.fr> wrote:
>
> [snip]
>
> > Yes, all of these is installed. I'm sorry in fact because I forgot about
> > this thread: I actually found what was the problem. ATI cards need an
> > additional option in xorg.conf in the section "Device":
> >
> > Option "DRI"
> >
> > For those who would seek for the same information, I attach my xorg.conf
> > to this email. As latest xorg now uses evdev instead of kbd, I attach my
> > working evdev config un hal. I don't know if it's a clean configuration
> > but it's a working one. By the way, I think there is a bug on
> > xserver-xorg because a reconfigure modify the xorg.conf for the keyboard
> > although this does nothing. Only modifications in
> > /usr/share/hal/fdi/policy/10osvendor/10-keymap.fdi have made xorg
> > recognize my keyboard layout and options.
> >
> > > Also is your graphics card compatible with the 'radeon' driver? I've
> > > had more success with that.
> >
> > Yep it is. It's an X1600 Mobility chipset. It now perfectly works with
> > transparency on KDE 4
>
> That's great news! Thanks for posting back!

It is indeed. I will definitively buy ati chipset based card for my next
computer. Having a free (as in free speach) driver is nice. And it is far more
stable than fglrx driver.

Regards,

Thomas Preud'homme


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 02-19-2009, 07:05 PM
Kelly Clowers
 
Default radeonhd on R5xx based card + dri very slow

On Thu, Feb 19, 2009 at 04:55, Thomas Preud'homme
<thomas.preudhomme@celest.fr> wrote:
> On Thursday 19 February 2009 09:32:33 Amit Uttamchandani wrote:
>> On Mon, 16 Feb 2009 09:43:17 +0100
>> "Thomas Preud'homme" <thomas.preudhomme@celest.fr> wrote:
>>
>> [snip]
>>
>> > Yes, all of these is installed. I'm sorry in fact because I forgot about
>> > this thread: I actually found what was the problem. ATI cards need an
>> > additional option in xorg.conf in the section "Device":
>> >
>> > Option "DRI"
>> >
>> > For those who would seek for the same information, I attach my xorg.conf
>> > to this email. As latest xorg now uses evdev instead of kbd, I attach my
>> > working evdev config un hal. I don't know if it's a clean configuration
>> > but it's a working one. By the way, I think there is a bug on
>> > xserver-xorg because a reconfigure modify the xorg.conf for the keyboard
>> > although this does nothing. Only modifications in
>> > /usr/share/hal/fdi/policy/10osvendor/10-keymap.fdi have made xorg
>> > recognize my keyboard layout and options.
>> >
>> > > Also is your graphics card compatible with the 'radeon' driver? I've
>> > > had more success with that.
>> >
>> > Yep it is. It's an X1600 Mobility chipset. It now perfectly works with
>> > transparency on KDE 4
>>
>> That's great news! Thanks for posting back!
>
> It is indeed. I will definitively buy ati chipset based card for my next
> computer. Having a free (as in free speach) driver is nice. And it is far more
> stable than fglrx driver.

Glad you got it working. It is worth noting that the "DRI" option is not in any
way ATI-specific. It is needed to turn on Direct Rendering Infrastructure
(aka accelerated 3D) for any card. The binary blob drivers may not use it
(I don't know), if so, it is because they basically implement their own thing
outside of X's native systems.


Cheers,
Kelly Clowers


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 04:51 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org