Old 02-02-2009, 04:13 PM
Adrian Chapela

Default How to uninstall a package which is failing to install/uninstall

Hello

I have tried to install HP OpenIpmi Eth 64 bits .deb and I couldn't do
it because it was failing to rebuild kernel module. Now I want to
uninstall but when I try to uninstall the package, it is trying to
compile again and it is failling. By this reason I can't uninstall the
package, How is the correct way to uninstall?

The state of the package:

ri hp-openipmi
7.8.0-108.etch26 OpenIPMI +HP

Thank you!

Old 02-03-2009, 02:18 AM
Daniel Burrows

On Mon, Feb 02, 2009 at 06:13:11PM +0100, Adrian Chapela <achapela.rexistros@gmail.com> was heard to say:
> I have tried to install HP OpenIpmi Eth 64 bits .deb and I couldn't do
> it because it was failing to rebuild kernel module. Now I want to
> uninstall but when I try to uninstall the package, it is trying to
> compile again and it is failling. By this reason I can't uninstall the
> package, How is the correct way to uninstall?

That sounds like a very broken package. I would suggest hacking the
pre/postrm to remove the compilation step, as long as you can verify
that doing so won't leave cruft on your system.

Daniel

Old 02-03-2009, 03:20 PM
Adrian Chapela

Daniel Burrows escribió:

On Mon, Feb 02, 2009 at 06:13:11PM +0100, Adrian Chapela <achapela.rexistros@gmail.com> was heard to say:

I have tried to install HP OpenIpmi Eth 64 bits .deb and I couldn't do
it because it was failing to rebuild kernel module. Now I want to
uninstall but when I try to uninstall the package, it is trying to
compile again and it is failling. By this reason I can't uninstall the
package, How is the correct way to uninstall?

That sounds like a very broken package. I would suggest hacking the
pre/postrm to remove the compilation step, as long as you can verify
that doing so won't leave cruft on your system.

Yes, this was the problem. I have removed preinst, postinst and prerm
and I could uninstall package well. First of all I have read the content
of that scripts to know if I could ignore them.

I am looking for that scripts but I couldn't find it.

Thank you!

Daniel

Old 02-03-2009, 03:51 PM
Daniel Burrows

On Tue, Feb 03, 2009 at 05:20:27PM +0100, Adrian Chapela <achapela.rexistros@gmail.com> was heard to say:
> I am looking for that scripts but I couldn't find it.

Ah, they're in /var/lib/dpkg/info. Look for <package-name>.preinst (etc).

Daniel

Old 02-04-2009, 06:50 AM
Adrian Chapela

Daniel Burrows escribió:

On Tue, Feb 03, 2009 at 05:20:27PM +0100, Adrian Chapela <achapela.rexistros@gmail.com> was heard to say:

I am looking for that scripts but I couldn't find it.

Ah, they're in /var/lib/dpkg/info. Look for <package-name>.preinst (etc).

Daniel

Thank you for all the answers. Now I have solved the problem.