FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Debian > Debian User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 02-01-2009, 11:09 PM
"H.S."
 
Default rereading/reloading keyboard layout files without relogging in?

Hello,

If I change a key map definition in a file in /etc/X11/xkb directory, is
there is a way I can re-read that file for the new keyboard layout to be
effective without having to relogin?

I know xrdb can be used to reread .Xdefaults. Hopefully something
similar can be done for the keyboard definition files.

Thanks.
--

Please reply to this list only. I read this list on its corresponding
newsgroup on gmane.org. Replies sent to my email address are just
filtered to a folder in my mailbox and get periodically deleted without
ever having been read.


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 02-04-2009, 06:45 PM
"H.S."
 
Default rereading/reloading keyboard layout files without relogging in?

H.S. wrote:
> Hello,
>
> If I change a key map definition in a file in /etc/X11/xkb directory, is
> there is a way I can re-read that file for the new keyboard layout to be
> effective without having to relogin?
>
> I know xrdb can be used to reread .Xdefaults. Hopefully something
> similar can be done for the keyboard definition files.
>
> Thanks.


Anybody?

--

Please reply to this list only. I read this list on its corresponding
newsgroup on gmane.org. Replies sent to my email address are just
filtered to a folder in my mailbox and get periodically deleted without
ever having been read.


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 02-04-2009, 08:11 PM
Florian Kulzer
 
Default rereading/reloading keyboard layout files without relogging in?

On Wed, Feb 04, 2009 at 14:45:10 -0500, H.S. wrote:
> H.S. wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > If I change a key map definition in a file in /etc/X11/xkb directory, is
> > there is a way I can re-read that file for the new keyboard layout to be
> > effective without having to relogin?
> >
> > I know xrdb can be used to reread .Xdefaults. Hopefully something
> > similar can be done for the keyboard definition files.
> >
> > Thanks.
>
> Anybody?

I don't understand which file(s) you want to modify and in what way. The
only file that I have in /etc/X11/xkb is called "base.xml"; it does not
contain any keymap definitions, only an XML list of known names.

Both xmodmap and xkbcomp can be used to modify the keymap of a running X
server, but I am not sure if they accept the kind of input file(s) that
you have in mind. However, both these commands can dump the current
keymap configuration in formats that can be modified and then reloaded.
Is that close enough to what you want to do?

--
Regards, | http://users.icfo.es/Florian.Kulzer
Florian |


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 02-05-2009, 03:07 AM
"H.S."
 
Default rereading/reloading keyboard layout files without relogging in?

Florian Kulzer wrote:
>
> I don't understand which file(s) you want to modify and in what way. The
> only file that I have in /etc/X11/xkb is called "base.xml"; it does not
> contain any keymap definitions, only an XML list of known names.

I have some files in /etc/X11/xkb/symbols/. If I recall correctly, I
have had to change some key definitions to get some international
languages working (using the keyboard applet in KDE and also using scim).

>
> Both xmodmap and xkbcomp can be used to modify the keymap of a running X
> server, but I am not sure if they accept the kind of input file(s) that
> you have in mind. However, both these commands can dump the current
> keymap configuration in formats that can be modified and then reloaded.
> Is that close enough to what you want to do?

Consider the file /etc/X11/xkb/symbols/fr. I am looking for a way to
reload this files after I modify it in some way. In other words, if I
modify the file, I want to avoid logging out and then loggin in again to
have the modifications take effect.

Thanks.
Regards.


--

Please reply to this list only. I read this list on its corresponding
newsgroup on gmane.org. Replies sent to my email address are just
filtered to a folder in my mailbox and get periodically deleted without
ever having been read.


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 02-05-2009, 06:43 PM
Florian Kulzer
 
Default rereading/reloading keyboard layout files without relogging in?

On Wed, Feb 04, 2009 at 23:07:08 -0500, H.S. wrote:
> Florian Kulzer wrote:
> >
> > I don't understand which file(s) you want to modify and in what way.

[...]

> Consider the file /etc/X11/xkb/symbols/fr. I am looking for a way to
> reload this files after I modify it in some way. In other words, if I
> modify the file, I want to avoid logging out and then loggin in again to
> have the modifications take effect.

Now I understand; I forgot that these files used to be in that
directory. (They are in /usr/share/X11/xkb/symbols on my computer.)

I can switch layouts with setxkbmap while the X server is running,
therefore I would expect that it is possible to reload a symbols file
with:

setxkbmap -layout fr

It may be necessary that you also have to specify "-variant ..." and
"-options ..." at the same time. If that does not work then I would try
to switch to another layout briefly and then back to the French one.

If you only have to change a few key definitions then it might be more
convenient to use xmodmap from the command line or ~/.xmodmaprc at every
startup of X.

--
Regards, | http://users.icfo.es/Florian.Kulzer
Florian |


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 03-20-2009, 08:13 PM
Andrei Popescu
 
Default rereading/reloading keyboard layout files without relogging in?

On Thu,05.Feb.09, 20:43:09, Florian Kulzer wrote:

> If you only have to change a few key definitions then it might be more
> convenient to use xmodmap from the command line or ~/.xmodmaprc at every
> startup of X.

More convenient to just create ~/.Xmodmap. gdm and startxfce4 use it
without any changes needed.

Regards,
Andrei
--
If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough.
(Albert Einstein)
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 10:35 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org