Old 02-01-2009, 03:17 PM
raman narasimhan

Default cant update to kde4.2

'm a lenny/sid user and have currently got kde4.1
i wanted to get kde4.2, googling 'kde4.2', i learnt that it was there in sid. so i decided to update kde, funny that both aptitude and apt-get said i've the latest kde.

debian:~# aptitude -t experimental install kde4
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Reading extended state information
Initializing package states... Done

Writing extended state information... Done
Reading task descriptions... Done
No packages will be installed, upgraded, or removed.
0 packages upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 0B of archives. After unpacking 0B will be used.

Writing extended state information... Done
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Reading extended state information
Initializing package states... Done

Reading task descriptions... Done

my sources.list is:
#
# deb cdrom:[Debian GNU/Linux 4.0 r0 _Etch_ - Official i386 DVD Binary-1 20070407-11:40]/ etch contrib main

deb cdrom:[Debian GNU/Linux 4.0 r0 _Etch_ - Official i386 DVD Binary-1 20070407-11:40]/ etch contrib main

deb http://security.debian.org/ etch/updates main contrib
deb-src http://security.debian.org/ etch/updates main contrib

deb http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian etch main

deb http://kde4.debian.net/ lenny main

deb http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian/ testing main contrib non-free

deb-src http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian/ testing main contrib non-free

deb http://security.debian.org/ testing/updates main contrib non-free
deb-src http://security.debian.org/ testing/updates main contrib non-free

deb http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian/ sid main contrib non-free************ -----> isn't this enough to get kde4.2????
deb-src http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian/ sid main contrib non-free

# deb http://security.debian.org/ testing/updates main contrib non-free
# deb-src http://security.debian.org/ testing/updates main contrib non-free

whats wrong?? how can i get kde4.2??

Old 02-01-2009, 03:47 PM
Wolodja Wentland

On Sun, Feb 01, 2009 at 11:17 -0500, raman narasimhan wrote:
[ ... snip ... ]

> whats wrong?? how can i get kde4.2??

KDE4 is available in Debian *experimental*, which is not enabled in your
sources.list. If you want to install KDE4 i suggest you follow the
procedure given at:

http://pkg-kde.alioth.debian.org/kde4.html

Be advised that packages in experimental really honour their name and
are not intended to be installed on a production system.

so long

Wolodja

Old 02-01-2009, 04:19 PM
Lisi Reisz

On Sunday 01 February 2009 16:17:15 raman narasimhan wrote:
> 'm a lenny/sid user and have currently got kde4.1
> i wanted to get kde4.2, googling 'kde4.2', i learnt that it was there in
> sid. so i decided to update kde, funny that *both aptitude and apt-get said
> i've the latest kde*.
>
> debian:~# aptitude -t experimental install kde4
> Reading package lists... Done
> Building dependency tree
> Reading state information... Done
> Reading extended state information
> Initializing package states... Done
> Writing extended state information... Done
> Reading task descriptions... Done
> No packages will be installed, upgraded, or removed.
> 0 packages upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
> Need to get 0B of archives. After unpacking 0B will be used.
> Writing extended state information... Done
> Reading package lists... Done
> Building dependency tree
> Reading state information... Done
> Reading extended state information
> Initializing package states... Done
> Reading task descriptions... Done
>
> *my sources.list is:*
> #
> # deb cdrom:[Debian GNU/Linux 4.0 r0 _Etch_ - Official i386 DVD Binary-1
> 20070407-11:40]/ etch contrib main
>
> deb cdrom:[Debian GNU/Linux 4.0 r0 _Etch_ - Official i386 DVD Binary-1
> 20070407-11:40]/ etch contrib main
>
> deb http://security.debian.org/ etch/updates main contrib
> deb-src http://security.debian.org/ etch/updates main contrib
>
> deb http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian etch main
>
> deb http://kde4.debian.net/ lenny main
>

> deb http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian/ testing main contrib non-free
> deb-src http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian/ testing main contrib non-free
> deb http://security.debian.org/ testing/updates main contrib non-free
> deb-src http://security.debian.org/ testing/updates main contrib non-free
>

> deb http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian/ sid main contrib non-free
> -----> isn't this enough to get kde4.2????
> deb-src http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian/ sid main contrib non-free
> # deb http://security.debian.org/ testing/updates main contrib non-free
> # deb-src http://security.debian.org/ testing/updates main contrib non-free
>
> whats wrong?? how can i get kde4.2??

You appear not to have experimental in your sources.list. I have googled and
there appears to be such a thing as an experimental repository.

I didn't reply earlier because I don't really know, since I have never used
experimental myself. But I wanted to spare the list from yet another email
asking exactly the same thing. (3 so far today). If people don't reply it
means one of:

They don't feel inclined to reply
They don't know
They haven't looked at this list since your emails arrived

Repeating yourself doesn't help and can irritate.

It might be worth a visit to www.debian.org to read up on experimental.

HTH
Lisi

Old 02-01-2009, 11:25 PM
raman narasimhan

hey but experimental is same as 'sid'

Old 02-01-2009, 11:25 PM
raman narasimhan

hey i think sid and experimental are the same

Old 02-01-2009, 11:37 PM
Daryl Styrk

raman narasimhan wrote:
> hey i think sid and experimental are the same

I thought sid = unstable and experimental was just that.

http://wiki.debian.org/DebianExperimental

Old 02-02-2009, 12:10 AM
"Boyd Stephen Smith Jr."

On Sunday 01 February 2009 18:37:23 Daryl Styrk wrote:
> raman narasimhan wrote:
> > hey i think sid and experimental are the same
>
> I thought sid = unstable and experimental was just that.

Yes.

As of now:
Etch = stable
Lenny = testing

Always:
Sid = unstable

Experimental is a supplement to Sid/unstable and does not
contain all the packages required for a minimal Debian system.

> http://wiki.debian.org/DebianExperimental

Good link.
--
Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. ,= ,-_-. =.