Old 01-31-2009, 10:28 PM
Simon Kranz

Default trouble with radeon and xrandr

Hello,

I am running lenny with XFCE. I have two monitors (2x benq 19" 4:3
monitors) so i want to use them like "extended desktop" in windows. I
believe there are two approaches to this:

* use free xorg ati driver and xrandr
* use non free ati and xinerama / no xinerama

I have read the debian guide for xrandr and I have tried both options,
but both give me different problems.
Also, i would prefer to stay with xorg drivers as i have no need for 3D
acceleration, but i do use this machine as a mythtv frontend, so my
setup effects this also.

using non-free ati drivers, xorg and desktops appear fine, but in
mythtv, when i watch tv, the aspect ratio is screwed up and it shows
16:9 video full screen (i.e. vertically stretched). No matter what i
try with this, i cannot fix this.

using xorg free ati drivers, i configure using static config (using
xrandr for help), i get both monitors working in xorg, and also myuthtv
aspect ratio works fine, but i have a weird mouse issue where i cannot
move windows around, and it seems to always dbl left click when i single
click (such as on the title bar it will maximise on 1 click), also when
i click on icons, it executes them with 1 click as well. Note that i
have not changed xfce settings to have "single click" activated.

Note that if i run xorg in single monitor mode, then i do not get this
single click / dbl click issues.

I also noticed this in gnome when i ran in xrandr mode.

My preference would be to solve the single click / dbl click problem, as
i feel mythtv is not going to be an easy one.

Any ideas for a simple solution?

thanks,
Simon