FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Debian > Debian User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 02-01-2009, 08:39 AM
Stefan Bellon
 
Default X11 keyboard behaving strangely since update

Hi all,

I'm happily running Debian GNU/Linux unstable on my IBM/Lenovo ThinkPad
T60 (and on all my other machines as well).

Yesterday I did an update with the notebook in question (the last
update was early in January).

Since the update the keyboard in X11 has gone weird. Every second key
press under X11 is recognized as if the Ctrl key was pressed, i.e.
every second 'm' is a newline, every second 'd' is a Ctrl-D, every
second 'c' a Ctrl-C, ... you get the idea.

Keyboard on the console and when logged in via ssh from a machine with
another X server is behaving correctly.

The only suspicious package in the update list I see, could be the
update of xkb-data from 1.4-1 to 1.5-1. But of course I can provide you
with the complete update list.

I have configured the xorg.conf in the "kbd" section to use layout
"pc105", language "de" and option "nodeadkeys", but I already tried
changing those options and restarting the X11 server which however
didn't make any difference.

Any help is very much appreciated.

Greetings,
Stefan

--
Stefan Bellon


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 02-01-2009, 08:44 PM
Florian Kulzer
 
Default X11 keyboard behaving strangely since update

On Sun, Feb 01, 2009 at 10:39:25 +0100, Stefan Bellon wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm happily running Debian GNU/Linux unstable on my IBM/Lenovo ThinkPad
> T60 (and on all my other machines as well).
>
> Yesterday I did an update with the notebook in question (the last
> update was early in January).
>
> Since the update the keyboard in X11 has gone weird. Every second key
> press under X11 is recognized as if the Ctrl key was pressed, i.e.
> every second 'm' is a newline, every second 'd' is a Ctrl-D, every
> second 'c' a Ctrl-C, ... you get the idea.

Did you check this with "xev"? Which KeyPress/Release events are
reported and in what order?

> Keyboard on the console and when logged in via ssh from a machine with
> another X server is behaving correctly.
>
> The only suspicious package in the update list I see, could be the
> update of xkb-data from 1.4-1 to 1.5-1. But of course I can provide you
> with the complete update list.

xkb-data version 1.5-1 works fine for me (Sid/amd64).

> I have configured the xorg.conf in the "kbd" section to use layout
> "pc105", language "de" and option "nodeadkeys", but I already tried
> changing those options and restarting the X11 server which however
> didn't make any difference.

I would like to see the output of the following three commands:

awk '/InputDevice/,/EndSection/' /etc/X11/xorg.conf
setxkbmap -print
xmodmap

--
Regards, | http://users.icfo.es/Florian.Kulzer
Florian |


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 02-02-2009, 04:39 PM
Stefan Bellon
 
Default X11 keyboard behaving strangely since update

Sorry for the late response, but somehow I was not allowed to post from
my work account, so I had to wait till I am at home now ...

On Sun, 01 Feb, Florian Kulzer wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 01, 2009 at 10:39:25 +0100, Stefan Bellon wrote:

> > Since the update the keyboard in X11 has gone weird. Every second
> > key press under X11 is recognized as if the Ctrl key was pressed,
> > i.e. every second 'm' is a newline, every second 'd' is a Ctrl-D,
> > every second 'c' a Ctrl-C, ... you get the idea.
>
> Did you check this with "xev"? Which KeyPress/Release events are
> reported and in what order?

I did the following: press "a", release "a", press "a", release "a",
press "s", release "s", press "s", release "s" (all lower-case):

KeyPress event, serial 32, synthetic NO, window 0x2000001,
root 0x8b, subw 0x2000002, time 748684, (54,33), root633,57),
state 0x0, keycode 38 (keysym 0x61, a), same_screen YES,
XLookupString gives 1 bytes: (61) "a"
XmbLookupString gives 1 bytes: (61) "a"
XFilterEvent returns: False

KeyRelease event, serial 35, synthetic NO, window 0x2000001,
root 0x8b, subw 0x2000002, time 749459, (54,33), root633,57),
state 0x5, keycode 38 (keysym 0x41, A), same_screen YES,
XLookupString gives 1 bytes: (01) "^A"
XFilterEvent returns: False

KeyPress event, serial 35, synthetic NO, window 0x2000001,
root 0x8b, subw 0x2000002, time 750336, (54,33), root633,57),
state 0x5, keycode 38 (keysym 0x41, A), same_screen YES,
XLookupString gives 1 bytes: (01) "^A"
XmbLookupString gives 1 bytes: (01) "^A"
XFilterEvent returns: False

KeyRelease event, serial 35, synthetic NO, window 0x2000001,
root 0x8b, subw 0x2000002, time 751127, (54,33), root633,57),
state 0x5, keycode 38 (keysym 0x41, A), same_screen YES,
XLookupString gives 1 bytes: (01) "^A"
XFilterEvent returns: False

KeyPress event, serial 35, synthetic NO, window 0x2000001,
root 0x8b, subw 0x2000002, time 753380, (54,33), root633,57),
state 0x0, keycode 39 (keysym 0x73, s), same_screen YES,
XLookupString gives 1 bytes: (73) "s"
XmbLookupString gives 1 bytes: (73) "s"
XFilterEvent returns: False

KeyRelease event, serial 35, synthetic NO, window 0x2000001,
root 0x8b, subw 0x2000002, time 753939, (54,33), root633,57),
state 0x5, keycode 39 (keysym 0x53, S), same_screen YES,
XLookupString gives 1 bytes: (13) "^S"
XFilterEvent returns: False

KeyPress event, serial 35, synthetic NO, window 0x2000001,
root 0x8b, subw 0x2000002, time 754673, (54,33), root633,57),
state 0x5, keycode 39 (keysym 0x53, S), same_screen YES,
XLookupString gives 1 bytes: (13) "^S"
XmbLookupString gives 1 bytes: (13) "^S"
XFilterEvent returns: False

KeyRelease event, serial 35, synthetic NO, window 0x2000001,
root 0x8b, subw 0x2000002, time 755216, (54,33), root633,57),
state 0x5, keycode 39 (keysym 0x53, S), same_screen YES,
XLookupString gives 1 bytes: (13) "^S"
XFilterEvent returns: False

> > Keyboard on the console and when logged in via ssh from a machine
> > with another X server is behaving correctly.
> >
> > The only suspicious package in the update list I see, could be the
> > update of xkb-data from 1.4-1 to 1.5-1. But of course I can provide
> > you with the complete update list.
>
> xkb-data version 1.5-1 works fine for me (Sid/amd64).

Perhaps it's something else. That was just the only package which
obviously had something to do with keyboard. The other packages like
acroread, gcc, gnumeric, patchutils, ... don't seem to be related.

> > I have configured the xorg.conf in the "kbd" section to use layout
> > "pc105", language "de" and option "nodeadkeys", but I already tried
> > changing those options and restarting the X11 server which however
> > didn't make any difference.
>
> I would like to see the output of the following three commands:
>
> awk '/InputDevice/,/EndSection/' /etc/X11/xorg.conf

sbellon@io$ awk '/InputDevice/,/EndSection/' /etc/X11/xorg.conf
InputDevice "Generic Keyboard"
InputDevice "Generic Mouse"
EndSection
Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "Generic Keyboard"
Driver "kbd"
Option "CoreKeyboard"
Option "XkbRules" "xorg"
Option "XkbModel" "pc105"
Option "XkbLayout" "de"
Option "XkbVariant" "nodeadkeys"
EndSection
Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "Generic Mouse"
Driver "mouse"
Option "CorePointer"
Option "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
Option "Protocol" "ImPS/2"
Option "EmulateWheel" "on"
Option "EmulateWheelButton" "2"
Option "EmulateWheelTimeout" "300"
Option "EmulateWheelInertia" "25"
Option "Emulate3Buttons" "on"
Option "XAxisMapping" "6 7"
Option "YAxisMapping" "4 5"
Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
EndSection

> setxkbmap -print

sbellon@io$ setxkbmap -print
xkb_keymap {
xkb_keycodes { include "xfree86+aliases(qwertz)" };
xkb_types { include "complete" };
xkb_compat { include "complete" };
xkb_symbols { include "pc+de(nodeadkeys)" };
xkb_geometry { include "pc(pc105)" };
};

> xmodmap

sbellon@io$ xmodmap
xmodmap: up to 3 keys per modifier, (keycodes in parentheses):

shift Shift_L (0x32), Shift_R (0x3e)
lock Caps_Lock (0x42)
control Control_L (0x25), Control_R (0x6d)
mod1 Alt_L (0x40), Meta_L (0x9c)
mod2 Num_Lock (0x4d)
mod3
mod4 Super_L (0x7f), Hyper_L (0x80)
mod5 Mode_switch (0x5d), ISO_Level3_Shift (0x71), ISO_Level3_Shift (0x7c)

It was quite difficult to enter and execute those commands though. ;-)

Greetings,
Stefan

--
Stefan Bellon


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 02-02-2009, 06:18 PM
Florian Kulzer
 
Default X11 keyboard behaving strangely since update

On Mon, Feb 02, 2009 at 18:39:43 +0100, Stefan Bellon wrote:
> Sorry for the late response, but somehow I was not allowed to post from
> my work account, so I had to wait till I am at home now ...

Subscribing the other email address to the whitelist might help with
that: http://lists.debian.org/whitelist/

> On Sun, 01 Feb, Florian Kulzer wrote:
> > On Sun, Feb 01, 2009 at 10:39:25 +0100, Stefan Bellon wrote:
>
> > > Since the update the keyboard in X11 has gone weird. Every second
> > > key press under X11 is recognized as if the Ctrl key was pressed,
> > > i.e. every second 'm' is a newline, every second 'd' is a Ctrl-D,
> > > every second 'c' a Ctrl-C, ... you get the idea.
> >
> > Did you check this with "xev"? Which KeyPress/Release events are
> > reported and in what order?
>
> I did the following: press "a", release "a", press "a", release "a",
> press "s", release "s", press "s", release "s" (all lower-case):
>
> KeyPress event, serial 32, synthetic NO, window 0x2000001,
> root 0x8b, subw 0x2000002, time 748684, (54,33), root633,57),
> state 0x0, keycode 38 (keysym 0x61, a), same_screen YES,
> XLookupString gives 1 bytes: (61) "a"
> XmbLookupString gives 1 bytes: (61) "a"
> XFilterEvent returns: False
>
> KeyRelease event, serial 35, synthetic NO, window 0x2000001,
> root 0x8b, subw 0x2000002, time 749459, (54,33), root633,57),
> state 0x5, keycode 38 (keysym 0x41, A), same_screen YES,
> XLookupString gives 1 bytes: (01) "^A"
> XFilterEvent returns: False

For the second keypress it looks as if CTRL and SHIFT had been held down
simultaneously ("state 0x5" in the third row), even though there were no
KeyPress events for those modifiers. I am not sure what that means.

[ snip: the same behavior for the "s" key ]

[...]

> > I would like to see the output of the following three commands:
> >
> > awk '/InputDevice/,/EndSection/' /etc/X11/xorg.conf
>
> sbellon@io$ awk '/InputDevice/,/EndSection/' /etc/X11/xorg.conf
> InputDevice "Generic Keyboard"
> InputDevice "Generic Mouse"
> EndSection
> Section "InputDevice"
> Identifier "Generic Keyboard"
> Driver "kbd"
> Option "CoreKeyboard"
> Option "XkbRules" "xorg"
> Option "XkbModel" "pc105"
> Option "XkbLayout" "de"
> Option "XkbVariant" "nodeadkeys"
> EndSection

[...]

> > setxkbmap -print
>
> sbellon@io$ setxkbmap -print
> xkb_keymap {
> xkb_keycodes { include "xfree86+aliases(qwertz)" };
> xkb_types { include "complete" };
> xkb_compat { include "complete" };
> xkb_symbols { include "pc+de(nodeadkeys)" };
> xkb_geometry { include "pc(pc105)" };
> };

That looks OK to me.

> > xmodmap
>
> sbellon@io$ xmodmap
> xmodmap: up to 3 keys per modifier, (keycodes in parentheses):

[ snip: your xmodmap output is the same as on my computer ]

Let's look at your versions of a few other packages. What is your output
for this:

dpkg -l xkb-data xserver-xorg-input-kbd xlibs{,-data} libx11{-6,-data} | awk '/^[^D|+]/{print $1,$2,$3}'

--
Regards, | http://users.icfo.es/Florian.Kulzer
Florian |


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 02-02-2009, 08:45 PM
Stefan Bellon
 
Default X11 keyboard behaving strangely since update

Florian Kulzer wrote:

> dpkg -l xkb-data xserver-xorg-input-kbd xlibs{,-data}
> libx11{-6,-data} | awk '/^[^D|+]/{print $1,$2,$3}'

sbellon@io:~$ dpkg -l xkb-data xserver-xorg-input-kbd xlibs{,-data}
libx11{-6,-data} | awk '/^[^D|+]/{print $1,$2,$3}'
ii libx11-6 2:1.0.3-7
ii libx11-data 2:1.0.3-7
ii xkb-data 1.5-1
pn xlibs <none>
pn xlibs-data <none>
ii xserver-xorg-input-kbd 1:1.3.1-1

Ahhh, now that you mention those packages ... I have a "hold" on the
libx11-6 and libx11-data packages as updating them breaks AdaCore's
GtkAda release for me which I need for my work. So it looks like the
update to xkb-data is not compatible anymore with the old 1.0.3 libx11?

That would explain why my colleague experiences the same thing after an
update today, but my machine at home is perfectly well, even though
having updated to xkb-data 1.5-1 (as it doesn't have the GtkAda
installed).

I'll try to revert to an older xkb-data to check.

Greetings,
Stefan

--
Stefan Bellon


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 02-02-2009, 09:20 PM
Stefan Bellon
 
Default X11 keyboard behaving strangely since update

Stefan Bellon wrote:

> I'll try to revert to an older xkb-data to check.

Reverting back to xkb-data 1.4-1 and setting that on "hold" as well,
helps.

Greetings,
Stefan

--
Stefan Bellon


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 02-04-2009, 05:59 PM
"B. L. Jilek"
 
Default X11 keyboard behaving strangely since update

On Sun, Feb 1, 2009 at 10:39 AM, Stefan Bellon <sbellon@sbellon.de> wrote:

Hi all,



I'm happily running Debian GNU/Linux unstable on my IBM/Lenovo ThinkPad

T60 (and on all my other machines as well).



Yesterday I did an update with the notebook in question (the last

update was early in January).



Since the update the keyboard in X11 has gone weird. Every second key

press under X11 is recognized as if the Ctrl key was pressed, i.e.

every second 'm' is a newline, every second 'd' is a Ctrl-D, every

second 'c' a Ctrl-C, ... you get the idea.



Keyboard on the console and when logged in via ssh from a machine with

another X server is behaving correctly.



The only suspicious package in the update list I see, could be the

update of xkb-data from 1.4-1 to 1.5-1. But of course I can provide you



Greetings,

Stefan



--

Stefan Bellon





--

To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org

with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.orgwith the complete update list.



I have configured the xorg.conf in the "kbd" section to use layout

"pc105", language "de" and option "nodeadkeys", but I already tried

changing those options and restarting the X11 server which however

didn't make any difference.



Any help is very much appreciated.





Not much help but I have the same problem on my HP Pavilion ze5400

I couldn't log in through gdm or kdm. I was able to startx but any typing was impossible.

I played around with xorg.conf for a while and came up with this.


Section "InputDevice"
******* Identifier* "Keyboard0"
******* Driver***** "kbd"
******* Option***** "XkbModel"* "pc104"
******* Option***** "XkbLayout"* "us"

##***** Option***** "XKbOptions" ""
******* Option********* "XkbKeycodes"** "xorg"
******* Option********* "XkbTypes"***** "default"
******* Option********* "XkbSymbols"*** "en_US(pc104)"

******* Option********* "XkbGeometry"** "pc(pc104)"
******* Option********* "XkbCompat"**** "basic+pc+iso9995"

The first three lines have always worked on this laptop until now. Any one of the lines below the ## line restores my keyboard to operational status. However, I can no longer ctl>alt F# to a terminal and key repeat is not working. Setting keyboard settings in gnome does not change anything.



--
B. L. Jilek * * * * * * * | *Debian Linux!
bljilek@yahoo.com *| *GPG key: 11A5D1A4
----------------------------------------------------------------
 
Old 02-05-2009, 06:48 AM
Marc Talder
 
Default X11 keyboard behaving strangely since update

On Sun, Feb 1, 2009 at 1:39 PM, Stefan Bellon <sbellon@sbellon.de> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm happily running Debian GNU/Linux unstable on my IBM/Lenovo ThinkPad
> T60 (and on all my other machines as well).
>
> Yesterday I did an update with the notebook in question (the last
> update was early in January).
>
> Since the update the keyboard in X11 has gone weird. Every second key
> press under X11 is recognized as if the Ctrl key was pressed, i.e.
> every second 'm' is a newline, every second 'd' is a Ctrl-D, every
> second 'c' a Ctrl-C, ... you get the idea.
>
> Keyboard on the console and when logged in via ssh from a machine with
> another X server is behaving correctly.
>
> The only suspicious package in the update list I see, could be the
> update of xkb-data from 1.4-1 to 1.5-1. But of course I can provide you
> with the complete update list.
>
> I have configured the xorg.conf in the "kbd" section to use layout
> "pc105", language "de" and option "nodeadkeys", but I already tried
> changing those options and restarting the X11 server which however
> didn't make any difference.
>
> Any help is very much appreciated.
>
> Greetings,
> Stefan
>
> --
> Stefan Bellon
>
>
> --
> To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
> with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
>

Try updating with dist-upgrade :

apt-get dist upgrade


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 02-17-2009, 06:51 AM
Jonathan Kaye
 
Default X11 keyboard behaving strangely since update

Marc Talder wrote:

> On Sun, Feb 1, 2009 at 1:39 PM, Stefan Bellon <sbellon@sbellon.de> wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I'm happily running Debian GNU/Linux unstable on my IBM/Lenovo ThinkPad
>> T60 (and on all my other machines as well).
>>
>> Yesterday I did an update with the notebook in question (the last
>> update was early in January).
>>
>> Since the update the keyboard in X11 has gone weird. Every second key
>> press under X11 is recognized as if the Ctrl key was pressed, i.e.
>> every second 'm' is a newline, every second 'd' is a Ctrl-D, every
>> second 'c' a Ctrl-C, ... you get the idea.
>>
>> Keyboard on the console and when logged in via ssh from a machine with
>> another X server is behaving correctly.
>>
>> The only suspicious package in the update list I see, could be the
>> update of xkb-data from 1.4-1 to 1.5-1. But of course I can provide you
>> with the complete update list.
>>
>> I have configured the xorg.conf in the "kbd" section to use layout
>> "pc105", language "de" and option "nodeadkeys", but I already tried
>> changing those options and restarting the X11 server which however
>> didn't make any difference.
>>
>> Any help is very much appreciated.
>>
>> Greetings,
>> Stefan
>>
>> --
>> Stefan Bellon
>>
>>
>> --
>> To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
>> with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact
>> listmaster@lists.debian.org
>>
>
> Try updating with dist-upgrade :
>
> apt-get dist upgrade
I tried this solution on an Acer Aspire 3503 manifesting the same symptoms.
No joy at all. What did work is removing the xkb-data 1.5-2. The system
will resolve dependency issues by installing xkb-data-legacy. Et voilà!
Problème résolu. Everything is back to normal. See bug #514975.
Cheers,
Jonathan
--
Registerd Linux user #445917 at http://counter.li.org/


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 12:56 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright ©2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org