-   -   lenny: mouse clicks are not registering reliably (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-user/238009-lenny-mouse-clicks-not-registering-reliably.html)

Allan Wind 02-01-2009 06:10 AM

lenny: mouse clicks are not registering reliably

I just upgraded my laptop from etch to lenny and found that (wacom)
mouse clicks are now intermittently either ignored or take some
significant fraction of a second to register. It seems like there is
intermittent latency on keyboard input as well that I did not notice
prior to the upgrade. Using the same 2.6.28 kernel both before and
after the upgrade from etch to lenny.

xorg has a mouse configured that I use a work, but disabling it did not
seem to make any difference for me
(http://linux.derkeiler.com/Mailing-Lists/KDE/2008-05/msg00132.html).

Any ideas?

/Allan
--
Allan Wind
Life Integrity, LLC

Florian Kulzer 02-01-2009 08:38 PM

On Sun, Feb 01, 2009 at 02:10:28 -0500, Allan Wind wrote:
> I just upgraded my laptop from etch to lenny and found that (wacom)
> mouse clicks are now intermittently either ignored or take some
> significant fraction of a second to register. It seems like there is
> intermittent latency on keyboard input as well that I did not notice
> prior to the upgrade. Using the same 2.6.28 kernel both before and
> after the upgrade from etch to lenny.
>
> xorg has a mouse configured that I use a work, but disabling it did not
> seem to make any difference for me
> (http://linux.derkeiler.com/Mailing-Lists/KDE/2008-05/msg00132.html).
>
> Any ideas?

Start an xterm (or konsole, gnome-terminal, etc.), run "xev" and move
the mouse pointer over the small window that opens. If you press mouse
buttons now, do you see the same delay until the events (ButtonPress,
ButtonRelease) are reported?

Furthermore, please post the output of the following command:

awk '/InputDevice/,/EndSection/' /etc/X11/xorg.conf

Florian |

Allan Wind 02-01-2009 10:12 PM

lenny: mouse clicks are not registering reliably

Hi Florian,

Thanks for your input.

On 2009-02-01T22:38:31, Florian Kulzer wrote:
> Start an xterm (or konsole, gnome-terminal, etc.), run "xev" and move
> the mouse pointer over the small window that opens. If you press mouse
> buttons now, do you see the same delay until the events (ButtonPress,
> ButtonRelease) are reported?

I ran this command:
xev | awk '/MotionNotify|KeymapNotify|FocusOut|ConfigureNotify |FocusIn/,/^$/ {
next; } {print}'
and did not see the ButtonPress/ButtonRelease events when the mouse
click were not detected. The wacom digitizer has a indicator light that
turns green when the mouse is clicked, and it did indeed register the
event even when X11 did not.

Review of the upgrade log shows:
[UPGRADE] xserver-xorg-input-wacom 0.7.4.1-5 -> 0.7.9.3-2
so just to be sure I downloaded the upstream wacom driver, compiled and
installed it then bounced X windows. No difference. I tried to kill
devilspie which did not make any difference either.

> Furthermore, please post the output of the following command:
> awk '/InputDevice/,/EndSection/' /etc/X11/xorg.conf

The first part is the configured section, and I tried commenting out
"Configured Mouse" and bouncing X without any effect:

InputDevice "Generic Keyboard"
InputDevice "Configured Mouse"
InputDevice "Wacom Cursor"
InputDevice "Wacom Eraser"
InputDevice "Wacom Stylus"
EndSection
Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "Wacom Cursor"
Driver "wacom"
Option "Device" "/dev/ttyS0"
Option "Mode" "Relative"
Option "Speed" "4"
Option "SendCoreEvents" "true"
Option "Suppress" "0"
Option "Type" "cursor"
EndSection
Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "Wacom Eraser"
Driver "wacom"
Option "Device" "/dev/ttyS0"
Option "SendCoreEvents" "true"
Option "Type" "eraser"
EndSection
Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "Wacom Stylus"
Driver "wacom"
Option "Device" "/dev/ttyS0"
Option "Mode" "Absolute"
Option "SendCoreEvents" "true"
Option "Type" "stylus"
EndSection
Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "Generic Keyboard"
Driver "kbd"
Option "CoreKeyboard"
Option "XkbRules" "xorg"
Option "XkbModel" "pc104"
Option "XkbLayout" "us"
EndSection
Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "Configured Mouse"
Driver "mouse"
Option "CorePointer"
Option "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
Option "Protocol" "ImPS/2"
EndSection

I will report back tomorrow how it goes with the "Configured Mouse".

/Allan
--
Allan Wind
Life Integrity, LLC

Allan Wind 02-02-2009 11:30 PM

On 2009-02-01T18:12:55, Allan Wind wrote:
> Section "InputDevice"
> Identifier "Wacom Cursor"
> Driver "wacom"
> Option "Device" "/dev/ttyS0"
> Option "Mode" "Relative"
> Option "Speed" "4"
> Option "SendCoreEvents" "true"
> Option "Suppress" "0"

My issue was resolved by removing the "Suppress" option (which was
required earlier for usable operation and worked fine with etch). I
will file a defect for this, if nothing else, then for the search
engines.

> Option "Type" "cursor"
> EndSection

> I will report back tomorrow how it goes with the "Configured Mouse".

The mouse was well behaved. I also noticed that xev showed the
ButtonPress/ButtonRelease events right away, while my wacom with the
suppress option showed latency.

/Allan
--
Allan Wind