-   -   prevent access to a hard drive completely (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-user/237990-prevent-access-hard-drive-completely.html)

Olive 02-01-2009 03:56 AM

prevent access to a hard drive completely

My internal hard disk is dead: it makes a strange noise and remain in
the position on indefinitely. I have installed Linux on an external hard
drive (and I boot from a CD since this is an old laptop not being able
to boot from USB). I would like to prevent the kernel to access the
internal hard drive completely. Even if I do not access it; the kernel
read a bit from it; among other to get information on the partition
table. Is it possible to prevent the kernel to even see the drive? This
is an IDE hard disk.

Olive

PS I am not currently on Debian but I like the list (and I am sure the
answer to this question should be generic)

Bob Cox 02-01-2009 06:41 AM

On Sun, Feb 01, 2009 at 08:56:57 +0400, Olive (not0read0765@yopmail.com) wrote:

> My internal hard disk is dead: it makes a strange noise and remain in
> the position on indefinitely. I have installed Linux on an external hard
> drive (and I boot from a CD since this is an old laptop not being able
> to boot from USB). I would like to prevent the kernel to access the
> internal hard drive completely. Even if I do not access it; the kernel
> read a bit from it; among other to get information on the partition
> table. Is it possible to prevent the kernel to even see the drive? This
> is an IDE hard disk.
>
> Olive
>
> PS I am not currently on Debian but I like the list (and I am sure the
> answer to this question should be generic)

I would remove the power connector from the rear of the hard drive, but
failing that, maybe you could disable it in the BIOS settings?

Please reply to the list only. Do NOT send copies directly to me.

02-01-2009 11:55 PM

On Sun, Feb 01, 2009 at 08:56:57AM +0400, Olive wrote:
> My internal hard disk is dead: it makes a strange noise and remain in
> the position on indefinitely. I have installed Linux on an external hard
> drive (and I boot from a CD since this is an old laptop not being able
> to boot from USB). I would like to prevent the kernel to access the
> internal hard drive completely. Even if I do not access it; the kernel
> read a bit from it; among other to get information on the partition
> table. Is it possible to prevent the kernel to even see the drive? This
> is an IDE hard disk.

How about disabling it in bios?

gc

Olive 02-02-2009 11:51 AM

gcrimp@vcn.bc.ca wrote:

My internal hard disk is dead: it makes a strange noise and remain in
the position on indefinitely. I have installed Linux on an external hard
drive (and I boot from a CD since this is an old laptop not being able
to boot from USB). I would like to prevent the kernel to access the
internal hard drive completely. Even if I do not access it; the kernel
read a bit from it; among other to get information on the partition
table. Is it possible to prevent the kernel to even see the drive? This
is an IDE hard disk.

How about disabling it in bios?

It is a Toshiba A40261 laptop and there is no option in the BIOS to
disabled it. I have not even successed (yet) to open the laptop... (to
try to disconnected it).

Olive

Olive 02-02-2009 02:33 PM

Olive wrote:

gcrimp@vcn.bc.ca wrote:

My internal hard disk is dead: it makes a strange noise and remain in
the position on indefinitely. I have installed Linux on an external
hard drive (and I boot from a CD since this is an old laptop not
being able to boot from USB). I would like to prevent the kernel to
access the internal hard drive completely. Even if I do not access
it; the kernel read a bit from it; among other to get information on
the partition table. Is it possible to prevent the kernel to even see
the drive? This is an IDE hard disk.

How about disabling it in bios?

It is a Toshiba A40261 laptop and there is no option in the BIOS to
disabled it. I have not even successed (yet) to open the laptop... (to
try to disconnected it).

Finally succeeded to remove physically the bad drive. I wonder if it is
replaceable...

Olive

Micha Feigin 02-02-2009 09:57 PM

prevent access to a hard drive completely

On Mon, 02 Feb 2009 19:33:22 +0400
Olive <not0read0765@yopmail.com> wrote:

> Olive wrote:
> > gcrimp@vcn.bc.ca wrote:
> >>
> >> How about disabling it in bios?
> >
> > It is a Toshiba A40261 laptop and there is no option in the BIOS to
> > disabled it. I have not even successed (yet) to open the laptop... (to
> > try to disconnected it).
>
> Finally succeeded to remove physically the bad drive. I wonder if it is
> replaceable...

If you could get it out then it is. These hard drives are usually standard 2.5"
drives. You just need to see if it's an ide or sata drive.