Old 01-31-2009, 08:10 PM
John Magolske

Default startx resets kbdrate of the Linux console

Mostly I use the framebuffer console with screen. When I start up
Xwindows on occasion, it resets kbdrate to slower settings than I
like. My solution so far is to start X with this script:

#!/bin/sh
startx
# startx seems to mess with kbdrate...set it back to what I like
sudo kbdrate -r 30 -d 250 -s

This returns the repeat rate & delay to what works better for me upon
closing Xwindows. But there is still the problem that kbdrate remains
at a slower setting as long as X is running. Switching away from X to
another VT and issuing sudo kbdrate -r 30 -d 250 -s does nothing.
The delay and repeat rate can only be re-set after closing X.

In my .xinitrc there is this: xset m 2 5 r rate 250 30

Which sets the delay and repeat rate for everything in Xwindows, but
switching to another VT finds the console stuck at slower settings.

Is there some way to avoid the way Xwindows resets kbdrate?

Thanks,

John

--
John Magolske
http://B79.net/contact

Old 02-01-2009, 12:35 AM
David Jardine

On Sat, Jan 31, 2009 at 01:10:23PM -0800, John Magolske wrote:
> Mostly I use the framebuffer console with screen. When I start up
> Xwindows on occasion, it resets kbdrate to slower settings than I
> like. My solution so far is to start X with this script:
>
> #!/bin/sh
> startx
> # startx seems to mess with kbdrate...set it back to what I like
> sudo kbdrate -r 30 -d 250 -s
>
> This returns the repeat rate & delay to what works better for me upon
> closing Xwindows. But there is still the problem that kbdrate remains
> at a slower setting as long as X is running. Switching away from X to
> another VT and issuing sudo kbdrate -r 30 -d 250 -s does nothing.
> The delay and repeat rate can only be re-set after closing X.
>
> In my .xinitrc there is this: xset m 2 5 r rate 250 30
>
> Which sets the delay and repeat rate for everything in Xwindows, but
> switching to another VT finds the console stuck at slower settings.
>
> Is there some way to avoid the way Xwindows resets kbdrate?

Look at kbdrate in the kbd or console-tools package.

Old 02-01-2009, 03:01 AM
T o n g

On Sun, 01 Feb 2009 01:35:29 +0000, David Jardine wrote:

>> # startx seems to mess with kbdrate...set it back to what I like
>> sudo kbdrate -r 30 -d 250 -s
>>
>> . . . Is there some way to avoid the way Xwindows resets kbdrate?
>
> Look at kbdrate in the kbd or console-tools package.

Isn't that what OP is using?

--
Tong (remove underscore(s) to reply)
http://xpt.sourceforge.net/techdocs/

Old 02-01-2009, 03:52 AM
John Magolske

* T o n g <mlist4suntong@yahoo.com> [090131 20:37]:
> On Sun, 01 Feb 2009 01:35:29 +0000, David Jardine wrote:
>
> >> # startx seems to mess with kbdrate...set it back to what I like
> >> sudo kbdrate -r 30 -d 250 -s
> >>
> >> . . . Is there some way to avoid the way Xwindows resets kbdrate?
> >
> > Look at kbdrate in the kbd or console-tools package.
>
> Isn't that what OP is using?

Yes, kbdrate is what I'm using. It works -- but not when X is running.
When X is running kbdrate is non-functional, with X insisting that the
repeat rate & delay in any Linux console remain stuck at some default.

Has anyone else experienced this behavior?

--
John Magolske
http://B79.net/contact