-   -   hald/dbus Question (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-user/237703-hald-dbus-question.html)

subscriptions 01-31-2009 03:39 PM

hald/dbus Question

On Sat, 2009-01-31 at 17:14 +0100, Thomas H. George wrote:

> Notes: The system will boot to Ubuntu with no problems, it is just
> trying to run it as chroot that fails to open the desktop window.

What are you trying to accomplish?

Rob

"Thomas H. George" 01-31-2009 05:17 PM

hald/dbus Question

On Sat, Jan 31, 2009 at 06:39:01PM +0200, subscriptions wrote:
> On Sat, 2009-01-31 at 17:14 +0100, Thomas H. George wrote:
> >
> > Notes: The system will boot to Ubuntu with no problems, it is just
> > trying to run it as chroot that fails to open the desktop window.
>
> What are you trying to accomplish?
>
> Rob

Stick with my Debian Lenny 64 bit system but run the Ubuntu 32 bit
system as a chroot. I can reboot to Ubuntu and then reboot back to
Lenny but that's a nuisance.

Emanoil Kotsev 02-01-2009 10:36 AM

hald/dbus Question

Thomas H. George wrote:

> Stick with my Debian Lenny 64 bit system but run the Ubuntu 32 bit
> system as a chroot. I can reboot to Ubuntu and then reboot back to
> Lenny but that's a nuisance.

X is not available over chroot. I don't remember doing this but there is
info I 've seen .
Also the ubuntu hal/dbus are not running when you chroot. may be mount /proc
and /sys after chrooting.
chroot environment is not that easy to create, especially when trying to use
X, so I don't think you'll be able to just chroot and run something that
relies on ressources that are not available.
You have to provide all the ressources needed after chrooting. /proc
and /sys will give you some.

good luck