Old 01-31-2009, 03:14 PM
"Thomas H. George"

Default hald/dbus Question

I have installed a foreign system (Ubuntu) in a separate partition and
want to run it as a chroot. The gdm start fails with a message "Failed
to initialize HAL". The chroot console works and when I enter the
command lshal the response is:

error: dbus_bus_get: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.FileNotFound: Failed to
connect to socket /var/run/dbus/system_bus_socket: No such file or
directory

Is there a simple way to correct this?

Notes: The system will boot to Ubuntu with no problems, it is just
trying to run it as chroot that fails to open the desktop window.

I have looked at the extensive dbus man page and hope I don't have to
master all that material to resolve this issue.

Tom