Old 01-31-2009, 05:41 AM
Joel Roth

Default hfs: write access to a journaled filesystem is not supported, use the force option at your own risk, mounting read-only.

On Wed, Jan 28, 2009 at 11:21:36PM +0100, Mathieu Malaterre wrote:
> Goal: Trying to use rythmbox with my "Apple" iPod (hfsplus)
>
> I am reading this:
> http://blog.raamdev.com/2008/11/23/mounting-hfs-with-write-access-in-debian
>
> Does this make any sense, can I just simply: apt-get install hfsprogs
> and I'll be able to read/write on my iPod ? right now I cannot

Thanks for posting this link, Mathieu!

I had a USB drive formatted as hfs+ under OSX that I
couldn't get write access to.

After installing hfsprogs:

# fsck.hfsplus -q /dev/sdb1

(file system reported as dirty)

# fsck.hfsplus -p /dev/sdb1

(file system reported fixed)

# mount /dev/sdb1 /mnt/mydisk

(write access!!)

Good luck with your issue.

Joel

> I tried on my lenny, disconnected/reconnected my ipod but I still get
> the same warning message in dmesg...
>
> Thanks !
>
> --
> Mathieu

Joel Roth

Old 02-05-2009, 03:05 AM
Joel Roth

On Fri, Jan 30, 2009 at 08:41:02PM -1000, Joel Roth wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 28, 2009 at 11:21:36PM +0100, Mathieu Malaterre wrote:
> > Goal: Trying to use rythmbox with my "Apple" iPod (hfsplus)
> >
> > I am reading this:
> > http://blog.raamdev.com/2008/11/23/mounting-hfs-with-write-access-in-debian
> >
> > Does this make any sense, can I just simply: apt-get install hfsprogs
> > and I'll be able to read/write on my iPod ? right now I cannot
>
> Thanks for posting this link, Mathieu!
>
> I had a USB drive formatted as hfs+ under OSX that I
> couldn't get write access to.
>
> After installing hfsprogs:
>
> # fsck.hfsplus -q /dev/sdb1
>
> (file system reported as dirty)
>
> # fsck.hfsplus -p /dev/sdb1
>
> (file system reported fixed)
>
> # mount /dev/sdb1 /mnt/mydisk
>
> (write access!!)

Well, that was good while it lasted. One system
crash and I'm back to read-only access.
fsck.hfsplus starts, then (according to top -p)
goes to sleep.

> Good luck with your issue.
>
> Joel
>
> > I tried on my lenny, disconnected/reconnected my ipod but I still get
> > the same warning message in dmesg...
> >
> > Thanks !
> >
> > --
> > Mathieu