-   -   parallel programming on debian (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-user/237497-parallel-programming-debian.html)

zhang zhengquan 01-31-2009 03:01 AM

parallel programming on debian

Dear all debian users:

I am taking a course on parallel programming and I wonder if anyone
has encountered the same library problem,

the code example the instructor provides has

#include <ulocks.h>
#include <task.h>

and obviously the header files are not available in any packages for
debian sid.

Is there any way to get over this problem?

Thanks a lot,
Zhang

Ron Johnson 01-31-2009 04:08 AM

parallel programming on debian

I am taking a course on parallel programming and I wonder if anyone
has encountered the same library problem,

the code example the instructor provides has

#include <ulocks.h>
#include <task.h>

and obviously the header files are not available in any packages for
debian sid.

Is there any way to get over this problem?

Ask the teacher where to get the headers.

--
Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson LA USA

Micha Feigin 01-31-2009 01:12 PM

parallel programming on debian

On Fri, 30 Jan 2009 22:01:57 -0600
zhang zhengquan <zhang.zhengquan@gmail.com> wrote:

> Dear all debian users:
>
> I am taking a course on parallel programming and I wonder if anyone
> has encountered the same library problem,
>
> the code example the instructor provides has
>
> #include <ulocks.h>
> #include <task.h>
>
> and obviously the header files are not available in any packages for
> debian sid.
>
> Is there any way to get over this problem?
>
> Thanks a lot,
> Zhang

We would need to know what commands/paradigms he used to give you more
information. It's hard to tell from the headers.

Just looking for the headers (don't know if they are for the features you want)
there is a task.h in
linux-headers-2.6.26-1-common-openvz
and ulocks.h in
clearsilver-dev

I'm guessing that both are not what you want since they don't have anything to
do with parallel programing.

01-31-2009 03:03 PM

parallel programming on debian

The brackets around the header files usually indicate to the compiler
that the files are part of the 'standard' libraries. Normally for
non-standard header files you remove the braces and place the header
files in some known location (e.g. in the same directory as your
source code).
Larry

Micha Feigin 01-31-2009 03:59 PM

parallel programming on debian

On Sat, 31 Jan 2009 08:03:43 -0800
owens@netptc.net wrote:

> [...]

It means that they are installed in standard places, doesn't mean that they are
standard headers, or otherwise it would also work if you pass -I. to the
compiler.

Trying to look for them together though it turns out that they are sgi/irix
multi processing routines. Couldn't find linux exact equivalents

http://nixdoc.net/man-pages/IRIX/m_fork.3p.html

zhang zhengquan 01-31-2009 05:44 PM

parallel programming on debian

Thank you, basically, I don't have access to IRIX machines and I
wonder if there are counterparts or similar headers in linux that I
can use for parallel programming.

Micha Feigin 01-31-2009 09:08 PM

parallel programming on debian

On Sat, 31 Jan 2009 12:44:58 -0600
zhang zhengquan <zhang.zhengquan@gmail.com> wrote:

> Thank you, basically, I don't have access to IRIX machines and I
> wonder if there are counterparts or similar headers in linux that I
> can use for parallel programming.

The problem is not the headers, you can include them per system using an ifdef.
The problem is that linux doesn't have the same functions as far as I can tell.

The current linux standard is pthreads. There is also fork/vfork (create a
child process) and there used to be light weight threads years ago, can't for
the life of me remember the exact name and reference. I think it came from sysv
but not sure. Maybe someone else has a better memory than me.

In hpc (high performance computing), OpenMP and MPI are more prevalent as
they are designed for mathematical parallel processing and takes care of a
lot of the overhead specific to these aims, but they are probably what you are
looking for at the moment.

zhang zhengquan 02-01-2009 05:16 AM

parallel programming on debian

Thanks a lot. Now I know what I need to do now.