Old 01-31-2009, 02:54 AM
"Douglas A. Tutty"

Default Use of Swap Space

On Sat, Jan 31, 2009 at 02:52:34AM +0000, Tzafrir Cohen wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 31, 2009 at 12:54:34AM +0000, Dean Chester wrote:
> > Hi
> > I recently noticed that my CPU is at 100% when the temperature of my CPU is
> > high. Taking a look at System Monitor i have also discovered that my swap
> > space is being used while only 13% of the RAM is, why isn't is using the
> > rest of the RAM. Has anyone got any ideas why?
>
> No. CPU utilization has nothing directly to do with swap usage.
>
> If a 100% CPU usage causes your computer to *over*heat (which is
> something you did not write above) you'll have a problem elsewhere (e.g.
> a dist-upgrade that includes tex-live :-) )

Or, is the board firmware slowing down the CPU to allow it to cool,
which makes a basically idling debian system to use a higher percentage
of available CPU (less idle time). Remember, its a percentage of CPU
capacity. If the CPU slows down, the the available capacity decreases.

Doug.

Old 01-31-2009, 03:04 AM
Ron Johnson

I recently noticed that my CPU is at 100% when the temperature of my CPU is
high. Taking a look at System Monitor i have also discovered that my swap
space is being used while only 13% of the RAM is, why isn't is using the
rest of the RAM. Has anyone got any ideas why?

No. CPU utilization has nothing directly to do with swap usage.

If a 100% CPU usage causes your computer to *over*heat (which is
something you did not write above) you'll have a problem elsewhere (e.g.
a dist-upgrade that includes tex-live :-) )

Or, is the board firmware slowing down the CPU to allow it to cool,
which makes a basically idling debian system to use a higher percentage
of available CPU (less idle time). Remember, its a percentage of CPU
capacity. If the CPU slows down, the the available capacity decreases.

But "100% CPU usage" isn't the same as "running at 100% of rated
clock speed".

Is *that* what you are really referring to?

--
Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson LA USA

Old 01-31-2009, 08:01 AM
Jochen Schulz

Dean Chester:

> I recently noticed that my CPU is at 100% when the temperature of my CPU is
> high.

The causality is the other way round: your CPU's temperature rises if
the CPU is being used. That's totally expected. The question is whether
the temperature is high enough to damage your CPU.

J.
--
If I was Mark Chapman I would have shot John Lennon with a water pistol.
[Agree] [Disagree]

Old 01-31-2009, 07:36 PM
Stefan Monnier

> I recently noticed that my CPU is at 100% when the temperature of my CPU is
> high. Taking a look at System Monitor i have also discovered that my swap
> space is being used while only 13% of the RAM is, why isn't is using the
> rest of the RAM. Has anyone got any ideas why?

Unless you really have an enormous amount of RAM (in which case you
probably know what's going on), the tool that tells you "13% of RAM
used" is partly lying. It's probably telling you that 13% of the RAM is
used by data that's not found anywhere else, while most of the rest of
your RAM is probably used to store local copies of disk blocks.
Try to run `free' to get a more detailed break up (or even "cat
/proc/meminfo").

Stefan

Old 01-31-2009, 08:27 PM
Nuno Magalh„es

> Try to run `free' to get a more detailed break up (or even "cat
> /proc/meminfo").

Running free -g on my system returns 3. I have 4.
Running cat /proc/meminfo returns 4030668KB, which is 3.84GB according
to onlineconversion, closer. Does RAM also have a sort of FAT?

It seems as though free won't return the accurate size.

Nuno Magalh„es

Old 01-31-2009, 11:00 PM
Andrew Sackville-West

On Fri, Jan 30, 2009 at 10:04:19PM -0600, Ron Johnson wrote:
> On 01/30/2009 09:54 PM, Douglas A. Tutty wrote:
>>> If a 100% CPU usage causes your computer to *over*heat (which is
>>> something you did not write above) you'll have a problem elsewhere (e.g.
>>> a dist-upgrade that includes tex-live :-) )
>>
>> Or, is the board firmware slowing down the CPU to allow it to cool,
>> which makes a basically idling debian system to use a higher percentage
>> of available CPU (less idle time).
> But "100% CPU usage" isn't the same as "running at 100% of rated clock
> speed".

regardless of which of the above is happening, if the thing is running
hot, then get in there and clean out the fans and heat
sinks.... there's nothing like trying to slow down a cpu to make it
run cooler when the cooler isn't working...

.02

Old 01-31-2009, 11:59 PM
Ron Johnson

I recently noticed that my CPU is at 100% when the temperature of my CPU is
high.

If a 100% CPU usage causes your computer to *over*heat (which is
something you did not write above) you'll have a problem elsewhere (e.g.
a dist-upgrade that includes tex-live :-) )

Or, is the board firmware slowing down the CPU to allow it to cool,
which makes a basically idling debian system to use a higher percentage
of available CPU (less idle time).

But "100% CPU usage" isn't the same as "running at 100% of rated clock
speed".

regardless of which of the above is happening, if the thing is running
hot, then get in there and clean out the fans and heat
sinks.... there's nothing like trying to slow down a cpu to make it
run cooler when the cooler isn't working...

I prop up the rear of the laptop. Now because of a docking station,
before with a short section of 2x4 wood. Allows for better air
flow, and less fan usage.

--
Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson LA USA

Old 02-01-2009, 12:02 AM
Vincent Lefevre

On 2009-01-31 02:52:34 +0000, Tzafrir Cohen wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 31, 2009 at 12:54:34AM +0000, Dean Chester wrote:
> > I recently noticed that my CPU is at 100% when the temperature of
> > my CPU is high. Taking a look at System Monitor i have also
> > discovered that my swap space is being used while only 13% of the
> > RAM is, why isn't is using the rest of the RAM. Has anyone got any
> > ideas why?
>
> No. CPU utilization has nothing directly to do with swap usage.

If the machine swaps a lot, the load average can get very high.
For instance, on my PowerBook, just because I started a process
that required much memory, the load average reached 25. I suppose
the cause is that background processes that woke up were waiting
for memory, and during this time they were regarded as running.

--
Vincent LefŤvre <vincent@vinc17.org> - Web: <http://www.vinc17.org/>

Old 02-01-2009, 04:01 AM
David Fox

On Sat, Jan 31, 2009 at 1:27 PM, Nuno Magalh„es <nunomagalhaes@eu.ipp.pt> wrote:

> It seems as though free won't return the accurate size.

I also have 4 gb of RAM (new Quadcore Intel) and 'free -g' reports '3'
as well, I suspect this is underrounding to the extreme, and 'free
-gb' returns a more realistic number:

fox@newbox:~$ free -gb
total used free shared buffers cached
Mem: 4018106368 3988586496 29519872 0 26746880 2479407104
-/+ buffers/cache: 1482432512 2535673856
Swap: 8389775360 5529600 8384245760

It isn't that RAM has a FAT - those things only are present on
filesystems. It is more likely that free's interpretation doesn't
include kernel memory. Also, 4gb may be 4*1024*1024 not 4*1000*1000,
although that is more likely to be a concern with hard disk capacity.

Old 02-01-2009, 04:18 AM
Ron Johnson

Try to run `free' to get a more detailed break up (or even "cat
/proc/meminfo").

Running free -g on my system returns 3. I have 4.
Running cat /proc/meminfo returns 4030668KB, which is 3.84GB according

That's 4030668*1024 = 4,127,404,032.

to onlineconversion, closer. Does RAM also have a sort of FAT?

4GB = 4,294,967,296.

So, where's the missing 167,563,264 bytes? (I.e. 40,909 4KB pages.)

It seems as though free won't return the accurate size.

Of course it does. "We", though, aren't kernel hackers or h/w
gurus, so are left in the dark.

--
Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson LA USA