-   -   Use of Swap Space (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-user/237454-use-swap-space.html)

Dean Chester 01-30-2009 11:54 PM

Use of Swap Space

Hi
I recently noticed that my CPU is at 100% when the temperature of my CPU is high. Taking a look at System Monitor i have also discovered that my swap space is being used while only 13% of the RAM is, why isn't is using the rest of the RAM. Has anyone got any ideas why?

Thanks in Advance
Dean.

Ron Johnson 01-31-2009 12:33 AM

Use of Swap Space

I recently noticed that my CPU is at 100% when the temperature of my CPU
is high. Taking a look at System Monitor i have also discovered that my
swap space is being used

How much? 2%, or 90%?

while only 13% of the RAM is, why isn't is
using the rest of the RAM. Has anyone got any ideas why?

What does top(1) say?

--
Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson LA USA

"Boyd Stephen Smith Jr." 01-31-2009 01:21 AM

Use of Swap Space

On Friday 2009 January 30 18:54:34 Dean Chester wrote:
>I recently noticed that my CPU is at 100% when the temperature of my CPU is
>high. Taking a look at System Monitor i have also discovered that my swap
>space is being used while only 13% of the RAM is, why isn't is using the
>rest of the RAM. Has anyone got any ideas why?
>Thanks in Advance
>Dean.

Once stuff gets swapped out, it may not get swapped in. (It will remain
swapped out until it is accessed. Swapping has a cost; leaving it there does
not.) Even if it is, it will remain backed by swap until it is written to.
(Until it is written to, the existing swap space may save a disk write if the
page needs to be swapped in the future. Invalidating the page costs a
little; leaving it there does not.)

Basically use of swap and non-use of RAM are *not* problems.
--
Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. ,= ,-_-. =.
bss@iguanasuicide.net ((_/)o o(\_))

Tzafrir Cohen 01-31-2009 01:52 AM

Use of Swap Space

On Sat, Jan 31, 2009 at 12:54:34AM +0000, Dean Chester wrote:
> Hi
> I recently noticed that my CPU is at 100% when the temperature of my CPU is
> high. Taking a look at System Monitor i have also discovered that my swap
> space is being used while only 13% of the RAM is, why isn't is using the
> rest of the RAM. Has anyone got any ideas why?

No. CPU utilization has nothing directly to do with swap usage.

If a 100% CPU usage causes your computer to *over*heat (which is
something you did not write above) you'll have a problem elsewhere (e.g.
a dist-upgrade that includes tex-live :-) )

http://tzafrir.org.il | | a Mutt's
tzafrir@cohens.org.il | | best
ICQ# 16849754 | | friend