Old 01-30-2009, 10:53 PM
Girish Venkatasubramanian

Default Modify the scrollback buffer in console

Hello,
I am desperately trying to find out how to increase the size of the
scrollback buffer in the non-graphical mode console (no X).

I am running a stock debian etch distribution without any X manager,
starting in runlevel 2. The machine boots up and I sign into the
console. Then, say I do an "ls -R /". This command will produce many
screens of output. Using the Shift+PgUp, I can scrollback by a few
screens-worth of lines - but the number of lines I can scrollback is
limited. I would like to increase this.

I need this to watch the output of some long running make (and
redirecting the output to a file does not work satisfactorily). I have
thought about using screen, but if there is a way to do it natively,
that would work the best.

Any help is appreciated.
Thanks.

Old 01-30-2009, 11:02 PM
Ron Johnson

I am desperately trying to find out how to increase the size of the
scrollback buffer in the non-graphical mode console (no X).

I am running a stock debian etch distribution without any X manager,
starting in runlevel 2. The machine boots up and I sign into the
console. Then, say I do an "ls -R /". This command will produce many
screens of output. Using the Shift+PgUp, I can scrollback by a few
screens-worth of lines - but the number of lines I can scrollback is
limited. I would like to increase this.

I need this to watch the output of some long running make (and
redirecting the output to a file does not work satisfactorily). I have
thought about using screen, but if there is a way to do it natively,
that would work the best.

Google says...
http://www.linuxinsight.com/soft_scrollback_for_the_linux_vga_console.html

--
Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson LA USA

Old 01-30-2009, 11:33 PM
Girish Venkatasubramanian

Thx for the link. I realized I was searching for the wrong option.
>From the link, I see that this apporach seems to have mixed success -
so I am trying this and will report back on how it goes.
Thanks again.

Old 01-31-2009, 01:56 AM
Tzafrir Cohen

On Fri, Jan 30, 2009 at 06:53:53PM -0500, Girish Venkatasubramanian wrote:
> Hello,
> I am desperately trying to find out how to increase the size of the
> scrollback buffer in the non-graphical mode console (no X).
>
> I am running a stock debian etch distribution without any X manager,
> starting in runlevel 2. The machine boots up and I sign into the
> console. Then, say I do an "ls -R /". This command will produce many
> screens of output. Using the Shift+PgUp, I can scrollback by a few
> screens-worth of lines - but the number of lines I can scrollback is
> limited. I would like to increase this.
>
> I need this to watch the output of some long running make (and
> redirecting the output to a file does not work satisfactorily). I have
> thought about using screen, but if there is a way to do it natively,
> that would work the best.

Two easy options:

make 2>&1 | tee log

(loses the return value. On bash you can still check $PIPESTATUS)

or: run this in a screen session.

A similar option to first one:

script log

and in to:

make

Though it means that your log will contain control characters.

http://tzafrir.org.il | | a Mutt's
tzafrir@cohens.org.il | | best
ICQ# 16849754 | | friend

Old 01-31-2009, 02:08 AM
Chris Jones

On Fri, Jan 30, 2009 at 06:53:53PM EST, Girish Venkatasubramanian wrote:

[..]

> say I do an "ls -R /". This command will produce many screens of
> output. Using the Shift+PgUp, I can scrollback by a few screens-worth
> of lines - but the number of lines I can scrollback is limited. I
> would like to increase this.

$ ls -R / | less

Then I use CTRL+D & CTRL+U to page down/up one half-screen at a time.

> I need this to watch the output of some long running make (and
> redirecting the output to a file does not work satisfactorily). I have
> thought about using screen, but if there is a way to do it natively,
> that would work the best.

I suggest you take another look at GNU screen.. not so much for its
scroll back capabilities but for a dozen other reasons.

http://aperiodic.net/screen/

I started using it 2-3 years ago both in X and on the linux console and
I never looked back.

CJ

Old 02-02-2009, 12:24 PM
Hugo Vanwoerkom

Ron Johnson wrote:

[...]

Good hint.
Except:
hugo@debian:/boot$ grep 'SCROLLBACK' config-2.6.26-1-686
# CONFIG_VGACON_SOFT_SCROLLBACK is not set

"Just" for this recompile the kernel?

Hugo

Old 02-02-2009, 12:42 PM
Ron Johnson

On 02/02/2009 07:24 AM, Hugo Vanwoerkom wrote:

Ron Johnson wrote:

[...]

(a) It depends on how badly you want the feature.

(b) Recompiling the kernel isn't that onerous.

--
Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson LA USA