-   -   Is this possible ? (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-user/237421-possible.html)

Bhasker C V 01-30-2009 09:46 PM

Is this possible ?

hi all,

This did not occur to me for a long time since y'day i noticed this :

$ sudo e2fsck -f /dev/hda1
e2fsck 1.41.2 (02-Oct-2008)
Pass 2: Checking directory structure
Pass 3: Checking directory connectivity
Pass 4: Checking reference counts
Pass 5: Checking group summary information
/boot: 49/48192 files (26.5% non-contiguous), 57798/96358 blocks
$ sudo file -s /dev/hda1
/dev/hda1: LVM2 (Linux Logical Volume Manager) , UUID: XXXXXX

it shows hda1 as lvm volume but is able to mount it in /boot as an ext3
file system. Also the e2fsck succeeds.

how do i restore hda1 to be a normal ext2 linux partition
PS: fdisk also shows hda1 as type 'linux'

--
Bhasker C V
Registered Linux user: #306349 (counter.li.org)

Mike Bird 01-30-2009 10:32 PM

Is this possible ?

On Fri January 30 2009 14:46:19 Bhasker C V wrote:
> it shows hda1 as lvm volume but is able to mount it in /boot as an ext3
> file system. Also the e2fsck succeeds.

e2fs looks at the beginning of the partition, lvm and md look at the end.

> how do i restore hda1 to be a normal ext2 linux partition

pvremove will remove the LVM label from the end of the partition.

You might want to backup the data first, just to be safe.

--Mike Bird

Bhasker C V 01-31-2009 12:07 AM

Is this possible ?

Mike Bird wrote:

it shows hda1 as lvm volume but is able to mount it in /boot as an ext3
file system. Also the e2fsck succeeds.

e2fs looks at the beginning of the partition, lvm and md look at the end.

how do i restore hda1 to be a normal ext2 linux partition

pvremove will remove the LVM label from the end of the partition.

You might want to backup the data first, just to be safe.

--Mike Bird

Great ! it worked ! thanks
Didnt know though that PV looks at the end of the partition (new learning)

--
Bhasker C V
Registered Linux user: #306349 (counter.li.org)
The box said "Requires Windows 95, NT, or better", so I installed Linux.

05-20-2010 01:45 PM

Is this possible ?

Let’s suppose this configuration

|Server1| <----- |Server2| <----- |Client|

A client sends a request that starts a script on Server2.The script ( running on
server2) from this server 2 will download a webpage from Server1.

Is it possible to record Client’s IP on Server1, instead of Server2’s IP? In other
words, Server1 will think the request for downloading is directly from Client.

That is Server2’s IP will be “invisible” for Server1

Is this possbile?

Thanks

Joe.

*

Anand Sivaram 05-20-2010 03:47 PM

Is this possible ?

On Thu, May 20, 2010 at 19:15, <export@hope.cz> wrote:

Let’s suppose this configuration

|Server1| <----- |Server2| <----- |Client|

A client sends a request that starts a script on Server2.The script ( running on
server2) from this server 2 will download a webpage from Server1.

Is it possible to record Client’s IP on Server1, instead of Server2’s IP? In other
words, Server1 will think the request for downloading is directly from Client.

That is Server2’s IP will be “invisible” for Server1

Is this possbile?

Thanks

Joe.

*

Since it is a different session (because your script on server2 sends the request to server1), it may not be possible. *The ip packet is locally generated on server2 because of the script is trying a request to server1.
Other options are the script may have to embed the ip address somehow to server1. *Or avoid the script on server2 and use NAT there.

thib 05-20-2010 05:13 PM

Is this possible ?

export@hope.cz wrote:

Is this possbile?

Look at IP address spoofing techniques, it's a broad subject. I would
consider identifying the client at the application level though (add support
for this to your protocol), if possible.

-thib

Archive: 4BF56DBF.4090105@stammed.net">http://lists.debian.org/4BF56DBF.4090105@stammed.net

Mark Allums 05-20-2010 08:39 PM

Is this possible ?