Old 01-30-2009, 04:54 PM
Jochen Schulz

Default From x86 to x86-64

tinkywinky:

> I've installed x86 version of Lenny, but I have 64-bit processor. I'd like
> to change to use 64-bit version of debian. Is that possible without having
> to reinstall?

Generally no, but...

> I thought of using a separate working directory where to install everything
> (if that is possible), and then move them to root. Is that a bad idea, and
> is there a better way around (probably is =)?

...you can use debootstrap to reinstall without using the installer and
without repartitioning your hard drive. You just need a swap partition
large enough to hold the base system.

J.
--
I wish I could do more to put the sparkle back into my marriage.
[Agree] [Disagree]

Old 01-30-2009, 05:00 PM
pierpaolo

...you can use debootstrap to reinstall without using the installer and

without repartitioning your hard drive. You just need a swap partition

large enough to hold the base system.

How is this supposed to work, please?
thanx

Old 01-30-2009, 05:12 PM
Alan Ianson

On January 30, 2009 06:11:54 am tinkywinky wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I've installed x86 version of Lenny, but I have 64-bit processor. I'd like
> to change to use 64-bit version of debian. Is that possible without having
> to reinstall?

I think you are best off to reinstall. "dpkg --get-selections"
and "dpkg --set-selections" might help if you want to end up in the same
place you are now.

> I thought of using a separate working directory where to install everything
> (if that is possible), and then move them to root. Is that a bad idea, and
> is there a better way around (probably is =)?

I suppose if you need to reinstall anyway now is a good time to see what you
can (or can't) do..

Old 01-30-2009, 06:05 PM
Johannes Wiedersich

Old 01-30-2009, 09:10 PM