Old 01-30-2009, 03:28 PM
Dennis Wicks

Default Solved Cmd Line not wrapping in gnome terminal window

Daniel Burrows wrote the following on 01/30/2009 09:46 AM:

On Thu, Jan 29, 2009 at 09:21:21PM -0600, Dennis Wicks <wix@mgssub.com> was heard to say:
I have just discovered that the command line in a gnome terminal window
doesn't wrap correctly. Instead of doing a line feed and continuing on
the next line it just returns to the beginning of the current line and
writes over it.

That sounds like something left your terminal in a bad state. Does
running "reset" help?

Daniel

Daniel;

No, reset didn't do it, but your comment gave me an idea.

I opened a new terminal window and it worked just fine!

I had eight terminal windows open in various workspaces and
they all malfunctioned the same way. After your suggestion I
opened another terminal window, didn't close the others, and
it worked! Just on a hunch I tried one of the others, and
now they *all* work as they should! Exceeding strange! But I
am now a happy camper, or would that be happy hacker?

Any way, thanks for the help and suggestions Ron and Daniel!

Good Luck!!
Dennis

Old 01-30-2009, 06:30 PM
Ken Irving

On Fri, Jan 30, 2009 at 10:28:03AM -0600, Dennis Wicks wrote:
> Daniel Burrows wrote the following on 01/30/2009 09:46 AM:
>> On Thu, Jan 29, 2009 at 09:21:21PM -0600, Dennis Wicks <wix@mgssub.com> was heard to say:
>>> I have just discovered that the command line in a gnome terminal
>>> window doesn't wrap correctly. Instead of doing a line feed and
>>> continuing on the next line it just returns to the beginning of the
>>> current line and writes over it.
>>
>> That sounds like something left your terminal in a bad state. Does
>> running "reset" help?
>
> No, reset didn't do it, but your comment gave me an idea.
>
> I opened a new terminal window and it worked just fine!
>
> I had eight terminal windows open in various workspaces and they all
> malfunctioned the same way. After your suggestion I opened another
> terminal window, didn't close the others, and it worked! Just on a hunch
> I tried one of the others, and now they *all* work as they should!
> Exceeding strange! But I am now a happy camper, or would that be happy
> hacker?

It might be useful to compare the terminal settings in the `bad' vs `good'
cases, e.g., using stty -a > bad, etc.. You might be able to find something
to tweak to fix that particular problem.

Well behaved programs should return the terminal to its original state,
but maybe that didn't happen. Killing programs with the KILL (-9)
signal would probably have this effect, vs using the default TERM (-15).

--
Ken Irving

Old 01-30-2009, 07:51 PM
Dennis Wicks