-   -   calender, contacts, appts., to do list, etc. server for Debian (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-user/237181-calender-contacts-appts-do-list-etc-server-debian.html)

"H.S." 01-30-2009 02:35 PM

calender, contacts, appts., to do list, etc. server for Debian

Hi,

I am playing around with the idea of installing a calender server on a
Debian machine at my home.

The idea is that the family can maintain their calenders, appointments,
schedules and to-do lists on the server and be able to access it from
anywhere over the internet.

Now if the server allows syncing to mobile devices, that would be an
added bonus but is not required at present.

Any ideas what we have in this respect in Debian? Experiences and
insights will be most welcome.

Regards.

ever having been read.

Andrew Sackville-West 01-31-2009 11:02 PM

On Fri, Jan 30, 2009 at 10:35:50AM -0500, H.S. wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am playing around with the idea of installing a calender server on a
> Debian machine at my home.
>
> The idea is that the family can maintain their calenders, appointments,
> schedules and to-do lists on the server and be able to access it from
> anywhere over the internet.
>
> Now if the server allows syncing to mobile devices, that would be an
> added bonus but is not required at present.
>
> Any ideas what we have in this respect in Debian? Experiences and
> insights will be most welcome.

I"ve used egroupware, and I think there is phpgroupware, a
fork. Tthose a pretty heavy solutions, but they work.

"H.S." 02-01-2009 10:06 PM

Andrew Sackville-West wrote:

> I"ve used egroupware, and I think there is phpgroupware, a
> fork. Tthose a pretty heavy solutions, but they work.

I did an apt-cache search for groupware and found these:
citadel, egroupware and phpgroupware.

Further, based on these I did a google search and found these:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_collaborative_software#Open_source_or_free _software

This is a fairly good starting points. I wonder how the three that I
mentioned above compare among each other.

Regards.

ever having been read.

Mirco Piccin 02-02-2009 07:51 AM

calender, contacts, appts., to do list, etc. server for Debian

Hi all,

> I am playing around with the idea of installing a calender server on a
> Debian machine at my home.

i use Group-Office, and i think that's a good solution.
Task, Email, Address Book, Calendar, Notes and a file repository.

Sync with mobile is available only on Enterprise edition.
It's also quite easy to customize.

Regards

Johann Spies 02-02-2009 09:01 AM

calender, contacts, appts., to do list, etc. server for Debian

On Fri, Jan 30, 2009 at 10:35:50AM -0500, H.S. wrote:

> I am playing around with the idea of installing a calender server on a
> Debian machine at my home.
>
> The idea is that the family can maintain their calenders, appointments,
> schedules and to-do lists on the server and be able to access it from
> anywhere over the internet.

I have recently started using Chandler (http://chandlerproject.org/)
and I find it useful. You can install a server on your network or you
can use their server (chandler hub).

I have client software on my Macbook, as well as on a PC at home and
my laptop at work. I use Ical on the Macbook to subscribe to the data
on the Chandler server and from their I can sync it to my mobile
phone.

Regards
Johann
--
Johann Spies Telefoon: 021-808 4036

"Love not the world, neither the things that are in the
world. If any man love the world, the love of the
Father is not in him...And the world passeth away, and
the lust thereof; but he that doeth the will of God
abideth for ever." I John 2:15,17

"Clifford W. Hansen" 02-02-2009 07:07 PM

On Friday 30 January 2009 17:35:50 H.S. wrote:
> ClamAV 0.94.2 signatures .
>
> Hi,
>
> I am playing around with the idea of installing a calender server on a
> Debian machine at my home.
>
> The idea is that the family can maintain their calenders, appointments,
> schedules and to-do lists on the server and be able to access it from
> anywhere over the internet.
>
> Now if the server allows syncing to mobile devices, that would be an
> added bonus but is not required at present.
>
> Any ideas what we have in this respect in Debian? Experiences and
> insights will be most welcome.
>
> Regards.
>
> --
>
> Please reply to this list only. I read this list on its corresponding
> newsgroup on gmane.org. Replies sent to my email address are just
> filtered to a folder in my mailbox and get periodically deleted without
> ever having been read.

I'm using davical[1] both at work and home (two seperate installations) and
it's working quite well for me...

I basically followed the instructions found at [2] on the davical wiki [3]
even though the instuctions were for ubuntu it was easy enough to just
install ;)

HTH

[1] http://rscds.sourceforge.net/
[2] http://wiki.davical.org/w/Installation_Guide_Update_(Feb_2008)