Old 01-30-2009, 02:47 AM
Julian De Marchi

Default NVIDIA Twin View

Old 01-30-2009, 03:52 AM
"Cybe R. Wizard"

Julian De Marchi <julian@jdcomputers.com.au> said:
> Hey All,
>
> I have hooked up a second monitor to my Debian Lenny system. It is
> using the NVIDIA driver on the 2.6.27 kernel. When I use the NVIDIA
> system util to activate the second display, the configuration does not
> stick. By this, I mean if I go back into the NVIDIA config util, the
> settings are gone.
>
> I have saved the xconfiguration through the NVIDIA gui app, and it
> does save fine.
>
> I also tried to manually added the second monitor in the xorg.conf
> file, but upon reboot the second monitor does not activate.
>
> The weird part about this is, when I activate the second monitor it
> does activate and work fine, but upon reboot it is gone, even though
> the xconfig has not changed.

Have you configured it as $USER?
I had to run:
<sudo nvidia-settings>
and then configure everything for the configuration to carry through.

Cybe R. Wizard
--
Nice computers don't go down.
Larry Niven, Steven Barnes

Old 01-30-2009, 04:09 AM
Julian De Marchi

Old 01-30-2009, 03:15 PM
"Cybe R. Wizard"

Julian De Marchi <julian@jdcomputers.com.au> said:

> > Have you configured it as $USER?
> > I had to run:
> > <sudo nvidia-settings>
> > and then configure everything for the configuration to carry
> > through.
>
> I ran the config util via the system-tools menu on my GNOME desktop.

So, have you yet tried it with sudo?

Cybe R. Wizard
--
Nice computers don't go down.
Larry Niven, Steven Barnes

Old 01-30-2009, 06:17 PM
Magnus Pedersen

Julian De Marchi wrote:

Hey All,

I have hooked up a second monitor to my Debian Lenny system. It is
using the NVIDIA driver on the 2.6.27 kernel. When I use the NVIDIA
system util to activate the second display, the configuration does not
stick. By this, I mean if I go back into the NVIDIA config util, the
settings are gone.

I have saved the xconfiguration through the NVIDIA gui app, and it
does save fine.

I also tried to manually added the second monitor in the xorg.conf
file, but upon reboot the second monitor does not activate.

The weird part about this is, when I activate the second monitor it
does activate and work fine, but upon reboot it is gone, even though
the xconfig has not changed.

My lenny system is up-to-date. Playing with displays are new to me, so
I do not know what to include to help. Basically I am looking for
pointers to assist me troubleshoot the issue. I have searched for the
answer, by my google-fu is useless.

- --
Cheers,
Julian De Marchi

The relevant part of ny xorg.conf, it might help:
Section "Screen"
Identifier "Default Screen"
Monitor "Configured Monitor"
# Option "AddARGBGLXVisuals" "true"
Option "TwinView" "1"
Option "metamodes" "DFP-0: nvidia-auto-select +0+0,
DFP-1: nvidia-auto-select +1680+0"

SubSection "Display"
Depth 24
EndSubSection
EndSection

/Magnus

Old 01-30-2009, 07:22 PM
Emanoil Kotsev

Julian De Marchi wrote:

>> Have you configured it as $USER?
>> I had to run:
>> <sudo nvidia-settings>
>> and then configure everything for the configuration to carry through.
>
> I ran the config util via the system-tools menu on my GNOME desktop.

what about xrandr