Old 01-30-2009, 02:36 AM
Ron Johnson

Default Cmd Line not wrapping in gnome terminal window

On 01/29/2009 09:21 PM, Dennis Wicks wrote:

Greetings;

I have just discovered that the command line in a gnome terminal window
doesn't wrap correctly. Instead of doing a line feed and continuing on
the next line it just returns to the beginning of the current line and
writes over it.

As you might suspect, this does not result in a valid command line!

Anybody have any ideas??

Does bash exhibit this same problem in xterm?

--
Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson LA USA

Old 01-30-2009, 02:52 AM
Dennis Wicks

I have just discovered that the command line in a gnome terminal
window doesn't wrap correctly. Instead of doing a line feed and
continuing on the next line it just returns to the beginning of the
current line and writes over it.

As you might suspect, this does not result in a valid command line!

Anybody have any ideas??

Does bash exhibit this same problem in xterm?

No, if I launch an xterm it behaves normally.

Old 01-30-2009, 02:56 AM
Ron Johnson

I have just discovered that the command line in a gnome terminal
window doesn't wrap correctly. Instead of doing a line feed and
continuing on the next line it just returns to the beginning of the
current line and writes over it.

As you might suspect, this does not result in a valid command line!

Anybody have any ideas??

Does bash exhibit this same problem in xterm?

No, if I launch an xterm it behaves normally.

Then use xterm??? :P

--
Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson LA USA

Old 01-30-2009, 03:00 AM
Dennis Wicks

I have just discovered that the command line in a gnome terminal
window doesn't wrap correctly. Instead of doing a line feed and
continuing on the next line it just returns to the beginning of the
current line and writes over it.

As you might suspect, this does not result in a valid command line!

Anybody have any ideas??

Does bash exhibit this same problem in xterm?

No, if I launch an xterm it behaves normally.

Then use xterm??? :P

I'd try that. Where is the doc for setting colors, font,
window size and all that stuff? Right now I get a little
tiny window about the size of a postage stamp in b&w!

Old 01-30-2009, 03:33 AM
Ron Johnson

I have just discovered that the command line in a gnome terminal
window doesn't wrap correctly. Instead of doing a line feed and
continuing on the next line it just returns to the beginning of the
current line and writes over it.

As you might suspect, this does not result in a valid command line!

Anybody have any ideas??

Does bash exhibit this same problem in xterm?

No, if I launch an xterm it behaves normally.

Then use xterm??? :P

I'd try that. Where is the doc for setting colors, font, window size and
all that stuff?

You mean initial window size (--geometry), and potential colors (it
starts black and white, but color apps -- like 'make menuconfig' are
in color like they are supposed to be)?

Here's the Command that I have in an icon on my Tray:

urxvt -sl 10000 -bg white -fg black
-font -*-fixed-medium-r-*-*-14-*-*-*-*-*-*-r

The font string I generated using xfontsel (from package x11-utils,
in menu location Foot->Debian->Applications->System-Administration).

The rest I deduced from reading the man page.

This gives me a window with a scroll buffer of 10,000 lines, black
text on a white background using the "fixed" font with medium
thickness in 14 point size.

Right now I get a little tiny window about the size of a
postage stamp in b&w!

Resize the window with the mouse?

--
Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson LA USA

Old 01-30-2009, 03:43 AM
Dennis Wicks

[...]

The mouse will make the window bigger, but it doesn't change
the font size!!

Thanks for that info. I think I can probably figure out a
workable config from that.

Thanks again!!
Dennis

Old 01-30-2009, 04:49 AM
Tzafrir Cohen

On Thu, Jan 29, 2009 at 09:21:21PM -0600, Dennis Wicks wrote:
> Greetings;
>
> I have just discovered that the command line in a gnome terminal window
> doesn't wrap correctly. Instead of doing a line feed and continuing on
> the next line it just returns to the beginning of the current line and
> writes over it.
>
> As you might suspect, this does not result in a valid command line!
>
> Anybody have any ideas??

The (remote?) system does not know the terminal type ($TERM) you use?

http://tzafrir.org.il | | a Mutt's
tzafrir@cohens.org.il | | best
ICQ# 16849754 | | friend

Old 01-30-2009, 02:46 PM
Daniel Burrows

On Thu, Jan 29, 2009 at 09:21:21PM -0600, Dennis Wicks <wix@mgssub.com> was heard to say:
> I have just discovered that the command line in a gnome terminal window
> doesn't wrap correctly. Instead of doing a line feed and continuing on
> the next line it just returns to the beginning of the current line and
> writes over it.

That sounds like something left your terminal in a bad state. Does
running "reset" help?

Daniel

Old 01-31-2009, 01:04 AM
"Sridhar M.A."

On Thu, Jan 29, 2009 at 10:43:08PM -0600, Dennis Wicks wrote:

> The mouse will make the window bigger, but it doesn't change the font
> size!!

xterm has a neat feature. Ctrl-right lick of the mouse in an xterm will
pop up a menu where you can choose the font size, etc. In case you need
to make them permanent, you have to put the settings in ~/.Xdefaults or
~/.Xresources. Mine has the following :

XTerm*foreground: black
XTerm*background: grey
XTerm*VT100.font: 10x20
XTerm*LoginShell: true
XTerm*ScrollBar: true
XTerm*colorMode: on

rxvt.font: 9x15
rxvt.loginShell: true
rxvt.background: black
rxvt.foreground: white
rxvt.cursorColor: green

Aterm.font: 9x15
Aterm*scrollBar: false
Aterm*loginShell: true
ATerm*background: grey
Aterm*font: -misc-fixed-medium-r-normal-*-14-*-*-*-c-*-iso8859-15
Aterm*geometry: 80x40

Sridhar M.A. GPG KeyID : F6A35935
Fingerprint: D172 22C4 7CDC D9CD 62B5 55C1 2A69 D5D8 F6A3 5935

BOFH excuse #256:

You need to install an RTFM interface.

Old 02-01-2009, 09:27 AM
Kenneth Karlsen

Sridhar M.A. wrote:

On Thu, Jan 29, 2009 at 10:43:08PM -0600, Dennis Wicks wrote:

The mouse will make the window bigger, but it doesn't change the font
size!!

You could try to hold down shift and use the + and - on the numerical
keypad to change the font and windowsize.

It works for me in enlightenment.
Regards Kenneth