Old 01-30-2009, 01:27 AM
Oscar Corte

Default fsck on vfat usb drive

Hi all:

I’m trying to use fsck to check my usb device.

*

According to the man page for fsck there should be available vfat type through the –t option.

*

However I receive the next error:

fsck: 1-40-WIP (14-NOV-200)
fsck: fsck.vfat: not found
fsck: Error 2 while executing fsck.vfat for /media/usbdisk

*

when executing:

fsck –t vfat /media/usbdisk

*

What am I missing?

*

Thanks in advance for any advice.

*

Regards

*

Oscar Corte

check out the rest of the Windows Live™.
More than mail–Windows Live™ goes way beyond your inbox.
More than messages

Old 01-30-2009, 01:32 AM
Ron Johnson

I’m trying to use fsck to check my usb device.

According to the man page for fsck there should be available vfat type through the –t option.

However I receive the next error:

fsck: 1-40-WIP (14-NOV-200)fsck: fsck.vfat: not foundfsck: Error 2 while executing fsck.vfat for /media/usbdisk

when executing:

fsck –t vfat /media/usbdisk

What am I missing?

Maybe the dosfstools package??

$ apt-file search fsck.vfat
dosfstools: /sbin/fsck.vfat
dosfstools: /usr/share/man/man8/fsck.vfat.8.gz

--
Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson LA USA

Old 01-30-2009, 06:50 AM
Adrian Levi

2009/1/30 Oscar Corte <oect_1964@hotmail.com>:
> Hi all:
> I'm trying to use fsck to check my usb device.
>
> According to the man page for fsck there should be available vfat type
> through the –t option.
>
> However I receive the next error:
> fsck: 1-40-WIP (14-NOV-200)
> fsck: fsck.vfat: not found
> fsck: Error 2 while executing fsck.vfat for /media/usbdisk
>
> when executing:
> fsck –t vfat /media/usbdisk
>
> What am I missing?
>
> Thanks in advance for any advice.
>
> Regards
>
> Oscar Corte

Secondly to Ron's suggestion, you don't fsck mounted file systems.
You will have to unmount the device and use the /dev entry that
coresponds to the device.

Adrian

--
24x7x365 != 24x7x52 Stupid or bad maths?
apartment it is.

Old 01-30-2009, 07:35 AM
Jörg-Volker Peetz

Ron Johnson wrote:
> On 01/29/2009 08:27 PM, Oscar Corte wrote:
>> Hi all:
>> I’m trying to use fsck to check my usb device.
>>
>> According to the man page for fsck there should be available vfat type
>> through the –t option.
>>
>> However I receive the next error:
>> fsck: 1-40-WIP (14-NOV-200)fsck: fsck.vfat: not foundfsck: Error 2
>> while executing fsck.vfat for /media/usbdisk
>>
>> when executing:
>> fsck –t vfat /media/usbdisk
>>
>> What am I missing?
>
> Maybe the dosfstools package??
>
> $ apt-file search fsck.vfat
> dosfstools: /sbin/fsck.vfat
> dosfstools: /usr/share/man/man8/fsck.vfat.8.gz

Yes, you need this package and command, e.g.,

dosfsck -av /dev/sdb1

where you have to replace sdb1 by the name of the partition you want to check on
your USB storage device; which, as Adrian Levi posted, has to be not mounted.
Jörg-Volker.