Old 01-29-2009, 09:59 PM
Richard Hector

Default setuid safe for df?

Hi all,

I'm having a problem at the moment with nagios monitoring of disk space.

When a filesystem is mounted in a directory that's inaccessible to the
nagios user, df doesn't work for it.

Is df considered safe to be setuid?

Any other suggestions?

Thanks,

Richard

Old 01-30-2009, 02:42 PM
Eric Gerlach

On Fri, Jan 30, 2009 at 11:59:57AM +1300, Richard Hector wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm having a problem at the moment with nagios monitoring of disk space.
>
> When a filesystem is mounted in a directory that's inaccessible to the
> nagios user, df doesn't work for it.
>
> Is df considered safe to be setuid?
>
> Any other suggestions?

Use sudo?

Setup your /etc/sudoers so the nagios user can run df without a password, then
configure Nagios to use "sudo df" instead of just "df" (I'm just learning
Nagios myself, so I don't know how you might do the second part)

Cheers,

--
Eric Gerlach, Network Administrator
Federation of Students