FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Debian > Debian User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 01-29-2009, 03:41 PM
Frank McCormick
 
Default Messed up window after gparted

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1

Running Sid - yesterday I moved a couple of partitions on my HD (without
a backup, yeah I know ) and today discovered the gnome-control-center
and update-manager is rather flaky.

This is what I get:

http://imagebin.ca/view/uciB1Q.html


I have reinstalled a number of packages, including the
gnome-control-center..but still get the messed up window.

Does anyone have any idea what files or packages might resolve this? It
appears to be window related , but in my xsession errors log there are
multiple references to problems with gdkpixbuf.





-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v1.4.9 (GNU/Linux)
Comment: Using GnuPG with Mozilla - http://enigmail.mozdev.org

iEYEARECAAYFAkmB3EAACgkQnQV1aTcQlJtBYQCeM0cKdwCHX6 cN77XACi4NbPCL
oy4AnAhjD7OUiOPdCwcKKtWlzKXz7DzL
=adAC
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 01-30-2009, 02:31 AM
Frank McCormick
 
Default Messed up window after gparted

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1

Frank McCormick wrote:
> Running Sid - yesterday I moved a couple of partitions on my HD (without
> a backup, yeah I know ) and today discovered the gnome-control-center
> and update-manager is rather flaky.
>
> This is what I get:
>
> http://imagebin.ca/view/uciB1Q.html
>
>
> I have reinstalled a number of packages, including the
> gnome-control-center..but still get the messed up window.
>
> Does anyone have any idea what files or packages might resolve this? It
> appears to be window related , but in my xsession errors log there are
> multiple references to problems with gdkpixbuf.
>
>


OK. Nobody has any ideas. Well...is there an aptitude command that
will reinstall a program ALONG WITH all its dependencies ??


Cheers
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v1.4.9 (GNU/Linux)
Comment: Using GnuPG with Mozilla - http://enigmail.mozdev.org

iEYEARECAAYFAkmCdKcACgkQnQV1aTcQlJsDhgCfe8Fsxsm+MC Hq9gfva2oQmjRL
mtoAn0G1y/npZ07T4SvYIKicGfX98TRH
=xXdC
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 01-30-2009, 06:40 AM
Jonathan Kaye
 
Default Messed up window after gparted

Frank McCormick wrote:

<snip>
> OK. Nobody has any ideas. Well...is there an aptitude command that
> will reinstall a program ALONG WITH all its dependencies ??
>
>
> Cheers
Have you tried aptitude reinstall <package name>? I can't swear to it but I
would guess it would fix or at least mention any dependencies issues that
might exist.
Cheers,
jonathan
--
Registerd Linux user #445917 at http://counter.li.org/


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 01-30-2009, 12:33 PM
Johannes Wiedersich
 
Default Messed up window after gparted

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1

Frank McCormick wrote:
> Frank McCormick wrote:
>> Running Sid - yesterday I moved a couple of partitions on my HD (without
>> a backup, yeah I know ) and today discovered the gnome-control-center
>> and update-manager is rather flaky.
>
>> This is what I get:
>
>> http://imagebin.ca/view/uciB1Q.html
>
>
>> I have reinstalled a number of packages, including the
>> gnome-control-center..but still get the messed up window.

I guess it's rather related to your personal configuration files (you
can't mess up root's packages, if you work as ordinary user). Have you
tried to either remove your config files or just create a new user and
check out, if the problem exists for the new user and his default settings?

Cheers,
Johannes


-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v1.4.9 (GNU/Linux)
Comment: Using GnuPG with Mozilla - http://enigmail.mozdev.org

iEUEARECAAYFAkmDAaAACgkQC1NzPRl9qEXjPgCUD1GubuC3p7 KPTa5cBriGTx/Y
AACfdPwKW2zB4YCx+uwoARV/fZOVH+A=
=Kr1W
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 01-30-2009, 01:58 PM
Frank McCormick
 
Default Messed up window after gparted

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1

Johannes Wiedersich wrote:
> Frank McCormick wrote:
>> Frank McCormick wrote:
>>> Running Sid - yesterday I moved a couple of partitions on my HD (without
>>> a backup, yeah I know ) and today discovered the gnome-control-center
>>> and update-manager is rather flaky.
>>> This is what I get:
>>> http://imagebin.ca/view/uciB1Q.html
>
>>> I have reinstalled a number of packages, including the
>>> gnome-control-center..but still get the messed up window.
>
> I guess it's rather related to your personal configuration files (you
> can't mess up root's packages, if you work as ordinary user). Have you
> tried to either remove your config files or just create a new user and
> check out, if the problem exists for the new user and his default settings?
>
Good idea....I'll try that but I have the feeling it's a global
problem...we'll see.

I'd really like to know how to reinstall the affected programs AND their
dependencies.

Cheers
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v1.4.9 (GNU/Linux)
Comment: Using GnuPG with Mozilla - http://enigmail.mozdev.org

iEYEARECAAYFAkmDFZoACgkQnQV1aTcQlJs9EACeMaq/Tyu3Z7JEPpVIfyVKGQ64
oeoAnjmHGewktcdUR4qAJKHjZT2TtxbY
=j7cH
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 01-30-2009, 02:27 PM
Frank McCormick
 
Default Messed up window after gparted

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1

Johannes Wiedersich wrote:
> Frank McCormick wrote:
>> Frank McCormick wrote:
>>> Running Sid - yesterday I moved a couple of partitions on my HD (without
>>> a backup, yeah I know ) and today discovered the gnome-control-center
>>> and update-manager is rather flaky.
>>> This is what I get:
>>> http://imagebin.ca/view/uciB1Q.html
>
>>> I have reinstalled a number of packages, including the
>>> gnome-control-center..but still get the messed up window.
>
> I guess it's rather related to your personal configuration files (you
> can't mess up root's packages, if you work as ordinary user). Have you
> tried to either remove your config files or just create a new user and
> check out, if the problem exists for the new user and his default settings?


OK I moved .gnome2 and .gnome out of the way....but no change. HOWEVER
a newly created user ( creatively named test ) doesn't show the problem.
That account can change the background fine (one of my problems) but I
can't test the update procedure (test doesn't have access).

So which files (and or directories) are causing the problem???


Cheers
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v1.4.9 (GNU/Linux)
Comment: Using GnuPG with Mozilla - http://enigmail.mozdev.org

iEYEARECAAYFAkmDHGEACgkQnQV1aTcQlJv3PwCdFjVMVRou2q coX54xT/G0/Q9r
+oAAnA/yoOpENABHpXqu6W96W0rqOV3K
=GUOz
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 01-30-2009, 03:00 PM
Frank McCormick
 
Default Messed up window after gparted

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1

Frank McCormick wrote:
> Johannes Wiedersich wrote:
>> Frank McCormick wrote:
>>> Frank McCormick wrote:
>>>> Running Sid - yesterday I moved a couple of partitions on my HD (without
>>>> a backup, yeah I know ) and today discovered the gnome-control-center
>>>> and update-manager is rather flaky.
>>>> This is what I get:
>>>> http://imagebin.ca/view/uciB1Q.html
>>>> I have reinstalled a number of packages, including the
>>>> gnome-control-center..but still get the messed up window.
>> I guess it's rather related to your personal configuration files (you
>> can't mess up root's packages, if you work as ordinary user). Have you
>> tried to either remove your config files or just create a new user and
>> check out, if the problem exists for the new user and his default settings?
>
>
> OK I moved .gnome2 and .gnome out of the way....but no change. HOWEVER
> a newly created user ( creatively named test ) doesn't show the problem.
> That account can change the background fine (one of my problems) but I
> can't test the update procedure (test doesn't have access).
>
> So which files (and or directories) are causing the problem???
>


Answering my own question again I moved the .gconf directory out
of the way...and everything started working again. I have to redo all my
customizations...but hey I should have done a backup before moving
partitions.

Cheers
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v1.4.9 (GNU/Linux)
Comment: Using GnuPG with Mozilla - http://enigmail.mozdev.org

iEYEARECAAYFAkmDJAkACgkQnQV1aTcQlJspUACfSojHp1HddF UyZF96BGBaW+Tn
tE0Anjz1rAzAmTn3nKHi/FEHMdJMefpM
=aYnw
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 01-30-2009, 03:19 PM
Johannes Wiedersich
 
Default Messed up window after gparted

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1

Frank McCormick wrote:
> Answering my own question again I moved the .gconf directory out
> of the way...and everything started working again.

I'm glad you could work it out. I use kde, so I'm not so familiar which
are gnome's equivalents to messing up the system ;-)

> I have to redo all my
> customizations...but hey I should have done a backup before moving
> partitions.

It's always a good idea to have good backups, not just when moving
partitions, isn't it? ;-)

Cheers,

Johannes

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v1.4.9 (GNU/Linux)
Comment: Using GnuPG with Mozilla - http://enigmail.mozdev.org

iEYEARECAAYFAkmDKIEACgkQC1NzPRl9qEXWWwCfQUvSD2UjsG vMpV2JkGgSNN5v
5cwAnjCUBPJyzfeI2WkhkAuwiN4OShnq
=QNXy
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 01-30-2009, 03:27 PM
Frank McCormick
 
Default Messed up window after gparted

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1

Johannes Wiedersich wrote:
> Frank McCormick wrote:
>> Answering my own question again I moved the .gconf directory out
>> of the way...and everything started working again.
>
> I'm glad you could work it out. I use kde, so I'm not so familiar which
> are gnome's equivalents to messing up the system ;-)


I'll have to remember this for the next time Gnome goes out to lunch


>
>> I have to redo all my
>> customizations...but hey I should have done a backup before moving
>> partitions.
>
> It's always a good idea to have good backups, not just when moving
> partitions, isn't it? ;-)


You bet! Thanks for your suggestions. I was following the wrong
trail...as I sometimes do


Cheers

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v1.4.9 (GNU/Linux)
Comment: Using GnuPG with Mozilla - http://enigmail.mozdev.org

iEYEARECAAYFAkmDKm4ACgkQnQV1aTcQlJubsgCgkmAK/qF1SNGkPxBFt9cbpLWm
1ssAniZ7TlYrF3r7gezOUmxbYstFyb1t
=QF9M
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 07:47 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org