-   -   Command line sendmail client (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-user/236555-command-line-sendmail-client.html)

Amar Cosic 01-29-2009 02:38 PM

Command line sendmail client

Hello list

I am looking for some command line mail client that
will allow me to send mail using some other smtp server instead of
local one. For ex. I need something like 'mail -server smtp.gmail.com -to some@email.com
-subject hello - text some text' . I have looked at mailx but cant seem
to find what I am looking for. Anything like this around? Thanks

--
Amar Ćosić
amar.cosic@gmail.com

Ron Johnson 01-29-2009 02:55 PM

Command line sendmail client

I am looking for some command line mail client that will allow me to send
mail using some other smtp server instead of local one. For ex. I need
something like 'mail -server smtp.gmail.com -to some@email.com -subject
hello - text some text' . I have looked at mailx but cant seem to find what
I am looking for. Anything like this around? Thanks

You need to configure your MTA to be a smart relay, detecting local
mail and keeping it local, while relaying non-local email to
smtp.gmail.com.

This is easy with Postfix. Can't say about sendmail.

--
Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson LA USA

"Eugene V. Lyubimkin" 01-29-2009 02:57 PM

Command line sendmail client

Hello Amar,

Amar Cosic wrote:
> I am looking for some command line mail client that will allow me to send
> mail using some other smtp server instead of local one. For ex. I need
> something like 'mail -server smtp.gmail.com -to some@email.com -subject
> hello - text some text' . I have looked at mailx but cant seem to find what
> I am looking for. Anything like this around? Thanks
Take a look on any small package that provides 'sendmail', for example, msmtp.

Ukrainian C++ Developer, Debian Maintainer, APT contributor

Eric Gerlach 01-29-2009 09:14 PM

On Thu, Jan 29, 2009 at 04:38:12PM +0100, Amar Cosic wrote:
> Hello list
>
> I am looking for some command line mail client that will allow me to send
> mail using some other smtp server instead of local one. For ex. I need
> something like 'mail -server smtp.gmail.com -to some@email.com -subject
> hello - text some text' . I have looked at mailx but cant seem to find what
> I am looking for. Anything like this around? Thanks

Newer versions of mutt will do this. Not sure if by "mail client" you mean an
MTA, an MUA or both, though. The other suggestions are also good.

Cheers,

--
Eric Gerlach, Network Administrator
Federation of Students