Old 01-29-2009, 01:57 PM
Martin McCormick

Default Dump and Restore Utility

While looking on dselect, I saw there is a port of the BSD
package of dump and restore but it says it is for the ext2 file
system. Is there a Linux dump and restore utility anywhere that
is safe to use with ext3?

The issue is that we have a mixed Unix environment.
There is a number of FreeBSD systems, Debian, Redhat and ubuntu
which all will need to be backed up to a FreeBSD server. Dump
and restore do the job nicely for BSD systems. Whatever we use
should hopefully exist for all platforms.

Thank you.

Martin McCormick WB5AGZ Stillwater, OK
Systems Engineer

Old 01-29-2009, 02:28 PM
Nicolas KOWALSKI

On Thu, 29 Jan 2009, Martin McCormick wrote:

> While looking on dselect, I saw there is a port of the BSD
> package of dump and restore but it says it is for the ext2 file
> system. Is there a Linux dump and restore utility anywhere that
> is safe to use with ext3?

Yes, dump is working well with ext3 filesystems, as long as they are not
actively modified. LVM may come to help here.

See: http://dump.sourceforge.net/isdumpdeprecated.html

--
Nicolas

Old 01-29-2009, 03:35 PM
Martin McCormick

Nicolas KOWALSKI writes:
> Yes, dump is working well with ext3 filesystems, as long as they are not
> actively modified. LVM may come to help here.

Many thanks. That is a problem more or less with any
backup method that doesn't unmount and convert to read-only a
given file system.

I noticed when I installed dump that the man page states
that it is for ext2/3 file systems so I am not as paranoid as
the little voices make me out to be.

> See: http://dump.sourceforge.net/isdumpdeprecated.html

Thanks for the link. That made the little voices come back a bit
but at least I think I know what risks there are.

Martin McCormick

Old 01-29-2009, 04:23 PM
Johannes Wiedersich

Old 01-31-2009, 02:44 AM
"Douglas A. Tutty"

On Thu, Jan 29, 2009 at 06:23:42PM +0100, Johannes Wiedersich wrote:
> Martin McCormick wrote:
> > Nicolas KOWALSKI writes:
> >> Yes, dump is working well with ext3 filesystems, as long as they
> >> are not actively modified. LVM may come to help here.
> >
> > Many thanks. That is a problem more or less with any backup method
> > that doesn't unmount and convert to read-only a given file system.
>
> I use rsync. It's fairly consistent, even if the file system is in use.
> Your situation will be worse, however, if, say a data base application
> writes a lot to many different files at different times and the
> combination of different files might turn out inconsistent.

Shouldn't databases be backed-up with a database dump to a file anyway
rather than backing up the raw database files? You could run the
database dump and pipe the output through ssh to the backup server into
a file there.

Doug.