Old 01-29-2009, 12:52 AM
Glenn Becker

Default flash / iceweasel / all that

Hi all -

I should probably admit that I haven't been booting my Debian install
lately, and it has mainly been due to irritation with Iceweasel and
not doing anything constructive about it b/c it worked fine over on
another Linux system I have (no names ...).

I am running testing and have been for some time. I don't recall when
Flash stopped working, but this has been the case for some time. At
first, I searched in Aptitude for anything related to Flash, just to
make sure I had everything available installed. No help.

I just read over a few threads in the -user list, & on the strength of
what I found I tried simply following the "install the latest version"
link from a Flash-intensive site ... chose the (Ubuntu) .deb and installed
it. Restarted Iceweasel, enabled the new Flash player v. 10 in the
plugins dialogue and disabled the older ones. Restarted Iceweasel.

No Flash. Still got the lovely

"Hello, you either have JavaScript turned off or an old version of Adobe's
Flash Player. Get the latest Flash player."

Javascript is on. I did a dpkg-reconfigure on adobe-flashplugin. Restarted
Iceweasel, checked plugins ... and v. 10 of the Flash player had
disappeared and I was still getting the same message when I tried to play
anything on Youtube.

I'm 98% certain I am doing something stupid here, but would appreciate it
if someone could point me in the direction of ... something that will tell
me how to diagnose the problem and make it all better. Cuz I'm close to
throwing the laptop (or just my Debian installation) against the wall.

Thx,

Glenn

Old 01-29-2009, 02:42 AM
Daryl Styrk

Glenn Becker wrote:

> Hi all -
>
> I should probably admit that I haven't been booting my Debian install
> lately, and it has mainly been due to irritation with Iceweasel and not
> doing anything constructive about it b/c it worked fine over on another
> Linux system I have (no names ...).
>
> I am running testing and have been for some time. I don't recall when
> Flash stopped working, but this has been the case for some time. At
> first, I searched in Aptitude for anything related to Flash, just to
> make sure I had everything available installed. No help.
>
> I just read over a few threads in the -user list, & on the strength of
> what I found I tried simply following the "install the latest version"
> link from a Flash-intensive site ... chose the (Ubuntu) .deb and
> installed it. Restarted Iceweasel, enabled the new Flash player v. 10 in
> the plugins dialogue and disabled the older ones. Restarted Iceweasel.
>
> No Flash. Still got the lovely
>
> "Hello, you either have JavaScript turned off or an old version of
> Adobe's Flash Player. Get the latest Flash player."
>
> Javascript is on. I did a dpkg-reconfigure on adobe-flashplugin.
> Restarted Iceweasel, checked plugins ... and v. 10 of the Flash player
> had disappeared and I was still getting the same message when I tried to
> play anything on Youtube.
>
> I'm 98% certain I am doing something stupid here, but would appreciate
> it if someone could point me in the direction of ... something that will
> tell me how to diagnose the problem and make it all better. Cuz I'm
> close to throwing the laptop (or just my Debian installation) against
> the wall.
>
> Thx,
>
> Glenn
>

> +-----------------------------------------------------+
> Glenn Becker - burningc@sdf.lonestar.org
> +-----------------------------------------------------+

I just downloaded the tar.gz from adobe and copied libflashplayer.so to
~/.mozilla/plugins..

You probably want to remove anything that aptitude search flash finds
installed..

As far as a packaged version working.. I have never had any luck on
debian..

Old 01-29-2009, 03:09 AM
Kevin Monceaux

Glenn,

I should probably admit that I haven't been booting my Debian install lately,

I've been running some other Linux distros, not to mention FreeBSD and
OpenSolaris, for quite a while. I think I've finally come to my senses
and just recently reinstalled Debian.

I am running testing and have been for some time.

I've run testing with my last few Debian installs and have had no flash
problems.

I don't recall when Flash stopped working, but this has been the case
for some time.

I can easily remember when flash stopped working for me. It was when I
switched to FreeBSD. :-)

Javascript is on. I did a dpkg-reconfigure on adobe-flashplugin.

I've searched around and couldn't find an adobe-flashplugin package.
Which repo is it from? I'm using the flashplayer-mozilla package from the
Lenny repo at www.Debian-Multimedia.org and YouTube, etc., works great for
me.

Kevin
http://www.RawFedDogs.net
http://www.WacoAgilityGroup.org
Bruceville, TX

Old 01-29-2009, 04:23 AM
Ron Johnson

I should probably admit that I haven't been booting my Debian install
lately, and it has mainly been due to irritation with Iceweasel and not
doing anything constructive about it b/c it worked fine over on another
Linux system I have (no names ...).

I am running testing and have been for some time. I don't recall when
Flash stopped working, but this has been the case for some time. At
first, I searched in Aptitude for anything related to Flash, just to
make sure I had everything available installed. No help.

I just read over a few threads in the -user list, & on the strength of
what I found I tried simply following the "install the latest version"
link from a Flash-intensive site ... chose the (Ubuntu) .deb and
installed it. Restarted Iceweasel, enabled the new Flash player v. 10 in
the plugins dialogue and disabled the older ones. Restarted Iceweasel.

You mean install_flash_player_10_linux.deb? I got that, installed
it with "dpkg -i", and now have (squeezing out spaces):

$ dpkg -l | grep flash
ii adobe-flashplugin 10.0.15.3-1hardy1 Adobe Flash Player plugin
version 10

Flash works perfectly.

http://members.cox.net/ron.l.johnson/Iceweasel-Add-ons.png

No Flash. Still got the lovely

Dumb question: did you restart Iceweasel?

--
Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson LA USA

Old 01-29-2009, 10:32 AM
Glenn Becker

I've searched around and couldn't find an adobe-flashplugin package. Which
repo is it from? I'm using the flashplayer-mozilla package from the Lenny
repo at www.Debian-Multimedia.org and YouTube, etc., works great for me.

Ah, sorry. It wasn't from a repo ... I went to Youtube, clicked the link
that read "upgrade to the latest version," was taken to adobe.com where I
downloaded the *.deb, installed it with dpkg, etc etc.

I will clean out all Flash - related stuff I have and try the the repo you
suggest, maybe I will have better luck.

There is an irony in my posting this at all, one that I don't like: I'm
one of those "Flash is the scourge of the Internet" types. I shouldn't
care about this AT ALL, but I just got tired of my browser bursting like
a bubble & so on ...

Thanks for the tips,

Glenn

Old 01-29-2009, 10:33 AM
Glenn Becker

You mean install_flash_player_10_linux.deb? I got that, installed it with
"dpkg -i", and now have (squeezing out spaces):

$ dpkg -l | grep flash
ii adobe-flashplugin 10.0.15.3-1hardy1 Adobe Flash Player plugin version 10

Flash works perfectly.

http://members.cox.net/ron.l.johnson/Iceweasel-Add-ons.png

No Flash. Still got the lovely

Dumb question: did you restart Iceweasel?

I did. I suspect the app is becoming confused by multiple versions sitting
around. I am going to try a cleanup.

Old 01-29-2009, 10:38 AM
Kevin Philp

Glenn Becker wrote:

You mean install_flash_player_10_linux.deb? I got that, installed it
with "dpkg -i", and now have (squeezing out spaces):

$ dpkg -l | grep flash
ii adobe-flashplugin 10.0.15.3-1hardy1 Adobe Flash Player plugin
version 10

Flash works perfectly.

http://members.cox.net/ron.l.johnson/Iceweasel-Add-ons.png

No Flash. Still got the lovely

Dumb question: did you restart Iceweasel?

I did. I suspect the app is becoming confused by multiple versions
sitting around. I am going to try a cleanup.

Glenn Becker - burningc@sdf.lonestar.org

If you want to browse without flash there are plenty of options - I
use adblock+ and add a blocking riule of *.swf. There are also
specific flash blockers.

Old 01-29-2009, 12:47 PM
Osamu Aoki

Hi,

On Wed, Jan 28, 2009 at 11:23:04PM -0600, Ron Johnson wrote:
> You mean install_flash_player_10_linux.deb? I got that, installed it
> with "dpkg -i", and now have (squeezing out spaces):
>
> $ dpkg -l | grep flash
> ii adobe-flashplugin 10.0.15.3-1hardy1 Adobe Flash Player plugin
> version 10
>
> Flash works perfectly.
>
> http://members.cox.net/ron.l.johnson/Iceweasel-Add-ons.png

I guess any method works but the above seems ubuntu package. I think
you can always install manually the latest one. there s even amd64
version now.

FYI: Although there were some time lag for new amd64 support, Debian sid has

i flashplugin-nonfree - Adobe Flash Player - browser plugin

This works fine here under amd64 with sid.

Osamu

Old 01-29-2009, 01:12 PM
Ron Johnson

You mean install_flash_player_10_linux.deb? I got that, installed it
with "dpkg -i", and now have (squeezing out spaces):

$ dpkg -l | grep flash
ii adobe-flashplugin 10.0.15.3-1hardy1 Adobe Flash Player plugin
version 10

Flash works perfectly.

http://members.cox.net/ron.l.johnson/Iceweasel-Add-ons.png

I guess any method works but the above seems ubuntu package. I think
you can always install manually the latest one. there s even amd64
version now.

Yes. It works well for me in 32-bit Sid.

Old 01-29-2009, 07:14 PM
"Andrew M.A. Cater"

On Wed, Jan 28, 2009 at 11:23:04PM -0600, Ron Johnson wrote:
> On 01/28/2009 07:52 PM, Glenn Becker wrote:
>>
>> Hi all -
>>
>> I should probably admit that I haven't been booting my Debian install
>> lately, and it has mainly been due to irritation with Iceweasel and not
>> doing anything constructive about it b/c it worked fine over on another
>> Linux system I have (no names ...).
>>
>> I am running testing and have been for some time. I don't recall when
>> Flash stopped working, but this has been the case for some time. At
>> first, I searched in Aptitude for anything related to Flash, just to
>> make sure I had everything available installed. No help.
>>
>> I just read over a few threads in the -user list, & on the strength of
>> what I found I tried simply following the "install the latest version"
>> link from a Flash-intensive site ... chose the (Ubuntu) .deb and
>> installed it. Restarted Iceweasel, enabled the new Flash player v. 10
>> in the plugins dialogue and disabled the older ones. Restarted
>> Iceweasel.
>
> You mean install_flash_player_10_linux.deb? I got that, installed it
> with "dpkg -i", and now have (squeezing out spaces):
>
> $ dpkg -l | grep flash
> ii adobe-flashplugin 10.0.15.3-1hardy1 Adobe Flash Player plugin
> version 10
>
> Flash works perfectly.
>
> http://members.cox.net/ron.l.johnson/Iceweasel-Add-ons.png
>
>> No Flash. Still got the lovely
>
> Dumb question: did you restart Iceweasel?
>
>> "Hello, you either have JavaScript turned off or an old version of
>> Adobe's Flash Player. Get the latest Flash player."
>>
>> Javascript is on. I did a dpkg-reconfigure on adobe-flashplugin.
>> Restarted Iceweasel, checked plugins ... and v. 10 of the Flash player
>> had disappeared and I was still getting the same message when I tried
>> to play anything on Youtube.
>>
>> I'm 98% certain I am doing something stupid here, but would appreciate
>> it if someone could point me in the direction of ... something that
>> will tell me how to diagnose the problem and make it all better. Cuz
>> I'm close to throwing the laptop (or just my Debian installation)
>> against the wall.
>
> --
Clear anything else you've downloaded. Use the adobe-flashplugin in Sid
non-free - which will go to the Adobe website, download the correct
thing and install it.

It's one .deb from Sid, so you won't necessarily hose your whole system.

HTH,

AndyC