Old 01-27-2009, 08:23 PM
Kevin Monceaux

Default packages in a fresh install

Marcelo,

On Tue, 27 Jan 2009, Marcelo Chiapparini wrote:

You might transfer this file to another computer, and install it there
with:

dpkg --clear-selections
dpkg --set-selections <myselections

and then, in order to install the packages, should I do "aptitude update"?

# man dpkg

works wonders. :-) Also from the dselect man page:

Note that this will not actually install or remove anything, but just
set the selection state on the requested packages. You will need some
other application to actually download and install the requested
packages. For example, run apt-get dselect-upgrade.

Kevin
http://www.RawFedDogs.net
http://www.WacoAgilityGroup.org
Bruceville, TX

Old 01-27-2009, 09:00 PM
Michael Wagner

* Marcelo Chiapparini <marcelo.chiappa@gmail.com> 27.01.2009
> Michael Wagner wrote:

>> it's easy. From the manpage of "dpkg"
>>
>> To make a local copy of the package selection states:
>> dpkg --get-selections >myselections
>>
>> You might transfer this file to another computer, and install it there with:
>> dpkg --clear-selections
>> dpkg --set-selections <myselections
>
> and then, in order to install the packages, should I do "aptitude update"?

Hello Marcelo,

to install the packages you could do "apt-get dselect-upgrade" or in
"dselect" you can hit *install*

Hth Michael

--
A NOTE TO SPAMMERS:
You have the right to remain silent. Exercise your rights.

Old 01-27-2009, 09:05 PM
Ron Johnson

You might transfer this file to another computer, and install it
there with:

dpkg --clear-selections
dpkg --set-selections <myselections

and then, in order to install the packages, should I do "aptitude
update"?

# man dpkg

works wonders. :-) Also from the dselect man page:

Note that this will not actually install or remove anything, but just
set the selection state on the requested packages. You will need some
other application to actually download and install the requested
packages. For example, run apt-get dselect-upgrade.

When yesterday I installed Linux dual-boot on our family machine, I
relied on apt-show-versions to create a fully-featured system
similar to mine.

My machine:
$ apt-show-versions > /media/thumb/package.versions.txt

Their machine, when in a minimal state:
# apt-get install
$(cat /media/thumb/package.versions.txt | cut -d/ -f1)

--
Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson LA USA

Old 01-27-2009, 09:31 PM
Kevin Monceaux

works wonders. :-) Also from the dselect man page:

I think I browsed too many man pages before I replied. The above should
read "from the dpkg man page." :-)

Old 01-28-2009, 03:02 AM
Thilo Six

Ron Johnson wrote the following on 27.01.2009 23:05

<- *snip* ->

> My machine:
> $ apt-show-versions > /media/thumb/package.versions.txt
>
> Their machine, when in a minimal state:
> # apt-get install
> $(cat /media/thumb/package.versions.txt | cut -d/ -f1)

Just a lillte heads up.
At least since lenny then you might be interessted in:

$ man 8 apt-mark

--
bye Thilo

key: 0x4A411E09

Old 01-28-2009, 03:42 AM
Ron Johnson

Ron Johnson wrote the following on 27.01.2009 23:05

<- *snip* ->

My machine:
$ apt-show-versions > /media/thumb/package.versions.txt

Their machine, when in a minimal state:
# apt-get install
$(cat /media/thumb/package.versions.txt | cut -d/ -f1)

Just a lillte heads up.
At least since lenny then you might be interessted in:

$ man 8 apt-mark

"Lust" installing those apps via "apt-get install" (even though they
are already installed) seems to accomplish the same thing, at least
for my needs.

--
Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson LA USA

Old 01-28-2009, 04:23 AM
Thilo Six

Ron Johnson wrote the following on 28.01.2009 05:42

<- *snip* ->

>>> # apt-get install
>>> $(cat /media/thumb/package.versions.txt | cut -d/ -f1)
>> Just a lillte heads up.
>> At least since lenny then you might be interessted in:

,----[ man 8 apt-mark ]--------

When you request that a package is installed, and as a result
other packages are installed to satisfy its dependencies, the
dependencies are marked as being automatically installed.
`---------------------------------------------

In the case above all packages are not marked as "auto" which means your apt
thinks all packages are manually installed.
In lenny even apt learned how to remove not needed dependies like aptitude
which is broken with the setup above.

--
bye Thilo

key: 0x4A411E09

Old 01-28-2009, 04:26 AM
Thilo Six

Thilo Six wrote the following on 28.01.2009 06:23

<- *snip* ->

> In the case above all packages are not marked as "auto"
^-non

sorry for the writing error

--
bye Thilo